Is BasicMed in jeopardy of being useless for older pilots?

So what ... so are 200 000 000 Americans who drive cars non commercially and they do so without any input from “trained auto medical physicians” , not to mention all these loose cannons with their boats enjoying their toys without any help from” trained hydro medical physicians” ....blah blah
Last I checked there were very few boats crashing in to houses a mile from a lake.

Last I checked there were very few boats crashing in to houses a mile from a lake.

There aren’t that many planes crashing either - certainly fewer than out of control cars ...

I agree with C-1 Pilot. My recent basic med exam was notably more thorough than what I recall for most of my class 2 and 3 medical exams

I agree with C-1 Pilot. My recent basic med exam was notably more thorough than what I recall for most of my class 2 and 3 medical exams

Additionally, there is no evidence to support that medical incapacitation is more prevalent as an accident cause in the BasicMed or LSA population compared to the 3rd class medical population. Indeed, the experience with LSA was instructive in BasicMed rulemaking.

Before reading my med express form, and after having his side/nurse do the usual pee test, eye test, weight, bp, etc; my AME sat me in the end of the exam table and squeezed my knees.

That was the extent of my physical... Then he looked at my med express form and saw my drug list, commented on one. And said ah.. apnea... I'll go look.

He came back to inform me that I was being deferred...

This AME also did CDLs for every class including hazmat. In addition to bus drivers .

And, I know ATPs that tell their wives never to tell anyone they snore.... And don't have special issuances.

Do not tell me that the airman's medical system keeps pilots from circumventing issues.

In a perfect world, maybe.

Our docs here are an exception, of course. They make you "own your medical" tell you to do what it takes to get the issuance and to be honest.

I've talked to my medical provider about basic med. And I trust her to know me and my health well enough to be confident that I can and will self ground, and that she will not approve me if there is risk...

But, I'm confident I could, if I wanted, to find an AME to issue a 3rd class, even with issues down the road.

I won't do that.

Freedoms carry responsibilities. Even privileges do. Many will do whatever they want, regs or no.

Commercial rides in bush planes by private pilots comes to mind...

I went basic med after my doc did a full blown screening for my age including EKG and very similar to a Military Class 1 that I have experienced in the past...some would call it an executive physical probably an hour long and included blood urine screens...he was happy to sign the paperwork and much more comprehensive than any Class III.

Talked to my broker the other night. He said yes probably going up a little maybe 100 bucks. I have a 1957 172 with a coowner who is a student pilot. He said there is a lot of turmoil in the industry. They are mainly hitting the big guys. He also said if you have a lot of insurance they are not renewing those policies. He said for example he had 3 Million in liability (I didn't even know you could get that) and they aren't renewing that.

As for basic med my annual physical is more comprehensive than any 3rd class I ever had. More importantly I feel better about going to the doctor early when I have an issue rather than taking a wait and see approach not wanting to create a costly mess of tests and paperwork simply to prove to the FAA what my doctor and I already determined.

Back