Potomac Airfield vs Washington Exec

MtPJimB

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
RVFlyboy
I've got a trip coming up this summer for a conference at National Harbor in Fort Washington, MD. Planning to fly myself and my wife there and looking for PIREPs on both Potomac Airfield and Washington Executive. I know both are in the Maryland-3 airports, so I have to go through the enhanced FRZ access process for either. Any thoughts on one over the other? We will likely be taking Uber from the airfield to the conference center. Thanks.

VKX definitely. Hyde is crumbling into obscurity and there aren't really any reliable services. Dave Wartofsky is the airport manager and he'd be glad to talk to you about it I'm sure.
Lots of information on their website: https://potomac-airfield.com/

VKX will actually be the closer/quicker one to get to National Harbor anyhow.

Fortunately, it doesn't take long to get vetted for the "pin" you need to get in. Make sure you follow the procedures for carefully (especially the procedure for leaving).

Last edited:
Agree with VKX. The only reason to go into W32 would be if you needed the slightly longer runway and/or were concerned about the obstructions off the ends of the runway at VKX.

I based an airplane at W32 15 years ago. It was in bad disrepair then, can't imagine what it's like now.

Runway not a problem for me. I’m based at a 2700’ grass strip.

Hyde, for the fat pills across the street. I blame them for the weight gain over the years I flew traffic out of there.

Plus, everyone should meet Stan Fetter (the manager there) once in their life.

But honestly, pick the one that makes logistical sense for your trip.

VKX. Don't mind the trees, they are friendly. Try to fly in during the day the first time if you can help it (and aim for the #2 wire).

I like Stan, he may be a little more sane than Dave. When he bought the plane Margy used to fly in I told him I had a couple of sets of keys to it. He told me to hang on to them, I might need them someday. When he hired my mechanic, I let her have one set. Stan put an Thielert Diesel in that plane. When I was at Oshkosh last summer, that plane was sitting in the Continental booth (still has the Thielert).

I flew for Stan for years next door at Hyde and I'm now based at VKX. They both have pluses and minuses. For a transients here's the comparisons:

VKX is a slightly shorter ride Uber ride to National Harbor.

For both, fuel is self serve, and about the same price (advertised fuel price at VKX requires fuel club membership. Otherwise it's a $1 more per gallon). VKX has 24 hour fuel, but if you're not a member of the fuel club you need to fuel when the FBO is open. I'm pretty sure fuel is only available during business hours at Hyde.

Hyde has a slightly longer runway with fewer obstructions. It also has a little more room to maneuver in the class B cutout, should winds require a takeoff to the northeast or a landing to the southwest.

Hyde is better when winds are out of the west-northwest, particularly if they're strong. VKX is in a little valley and the winds do some really squirrelly stuff coming over the hill. It's not so bad if you anticipate it, but be ready for a go around.

VKX has no fences, is completely open. That could be either a plus or minus. It's tucked back in a residential neighborhood. The airport itself is park-like. Folks walk their dogs on airport property, cars drive on taxiways, and it's a pretty relaxed environment. The Pilot lounge and bathrooms are open 24 hours.

Hyde is fenced and extremely quiet. Folks come and go, but not a whole lot of hanging out. A ghost town is a good description. Stan does his best to run the airport, but the owner hasn't spent money on the place in well over a decade.

if you're planning on impressing anyone, VKX is a better option. As Catmandu mentioned, Hyde has Miller Farms across the street with a farmers market and a slew of sweets.

Either way, if you need any help while you're in town, give me a shout.

VKX has no fences, is completely open. That could be either a plus or minus. It's tucked back in a residential neighborhood. The airport itself is park-like. Folks walk their dogs on airport property, cars drive on taxiways, and it's a pretty relaxed environment. The Pilot lounge and bathrooms are open 24 hours.

Hyde is fenced and extremely quiet. Folks come and go, but not a whole lot of hanging out. A ghost town is a good description. Stan does his best to run the airport, but the owner hasn't spent money on the place in well over a decade.

Does that mean you have to have a prop lock if you park overnight at Potomac (VKX) ?

Does that mean you have to have a prop lock if you park overnight at Potomac (VKX) ?

Yes.

You have to protect your plane against terrorists who don't own bolt-cutters.

Back