So, student pilots.. Who are we and where do we stand?

completed my solo XC two weeks back. scheduled for my long XC in mid-Feb. my availability, weather, and rental availability are factors in the long timespan between them...starting to question whether it's time to take on another plane of the same make/model to give me more options to finish out my training....

Took my first lesson 5/20/2019. Between my schedule, CFI schedule, weather, the abrupt retirement of my CFI and finding another CFI, I finally competed my solo flight at 23.3 hours on 1/29/2020. I hadn't flown for 3 months because of my CFI situation. My original CFI had said I was ready and we had lessons planned for a Monday and the following Friday with the thought that one of those 2 lessons would be my solo. I got a call the prior Saturday saying he was retiring effective immediately. Ugh. So fast forward 3 months. First flight with new CFI and after 2 hours together, he said, "if you're comfortable, I'm getting out and you're going alone. I've seen nothing to show me you are not capable and safe." So off I went, 3 takeoffs and landings. Greased the first and skipped the 2nd and 3rd, but got er done. Hoping to progress faster from here, but I've made it clear I'm in no rush. This forum has been invaluable during the past 8 months or so. Thanks everyone!

Took my first lesson 5/20/2019. Between my schedule, CFI schedule, weather, the abrupt retirement of my CFI and finding another CFI, I finally competed my solo flight at 23.3 hours on 1/29/2020. I hadn't flown for 3 months because of my CFI situation. My original CFI had said I was ready and we had lessons planned for a Monday and the following Friday with the thought that one of those 2 lessons would be my solo. I got a call the prior Saturday saying he was retiring effective immediately. Ugh. So fast forward 3 months. First flight with new CFI and after 2 hours together, he said, "if you're comfortable, I'm getting out and you're going alone. I've seen nothing to show me you are not capable and safe." So off I went, 3 takeoffs and landings. Greased the first and skipped the 2nd and 3rd, but got er done. Hoping to progress faster from here, but I've made it clear I'm in no rush. This forum has been invaluable during the past 8 months or so. Thanks everyone!
Congrats! We’re on similar timelines for different reasons; first flight on 3/31/19, med cert delayed my first solo to 11/23/19, solo XC on 1/12/20, long XC scheduled for 2/17/20, then night XC, then prep for checkride, aiming for Mar/Apr checkride...best of luck!

Own my own business and looking to change work to something I enjoy and sell my biz in about two years...successful, but burned out, arborist...bought 10 hours block training in a Tomahawk, which shook out to 10% cost of purchasing a Grumman trainer. I paid cash for the Grumman as a time builder...looking to fly about 25 hours/month. Fun plane, not going to set any records, but economical and appropriately (not overly) challenging. As student owner, scheduling is strictly restricted to weather, and I have no pressure financially or otherwise to rush any training.

Good for you Grumman Bear. My feelings are that the Grumman will make it easier to transition to a higher performance airplane vs other conventionally used trainers.

Passed the check ride on Jan 1 - New Year's Day. I just checked, and they've processed the application Feb 1. Now just waiting for the mail to bring the permanent certificate!

Passed the check ride on Jan 1 - New Year's Day. I just checked, and they've processed the application Feb 1. Now just waiting for the mail to bring the permanent certificate!

Little green cards in the mail are fun. :)

When I first got my plastic card, turned it over and saw a bold guy there I said to myself, I don't remember taking a picture:(

Congrats - on your way to being a professional pilot !

Hi, all. I'm a 40-something dude who just started his journey to getting my PPL in December. I've always been interested in flying and aviation and I actually interned for Gulfstream years ago back when the G-V was being designed (I watched the first flight from the tarmac at the Savannah airport!) After years of excuses (too expensive, impractical, it's just a hobby, etc) I decided to just go for it and do it. I'm very fortunate to have a wife who is super supportive and encouraged me to go for it- the fact that she's a horse lady and has her own expensive hobby didn't hurt!

I'm training in a 172 with a great CFI that I'm clicking with. I'm about 13 hours in and am doing pretty well- progressing quickly including being on top of comms at my very busy Class D. But: landings. My pattern work has gotten very good but it's the last 20 feet that are giving me fits. I just can't get the feel for the transition and I either pitch too much too soon and balloon or tend to fly into the ground. Practice, practice, practice. I'll get it and am honestly not that anxious for my solo to happen but man... I've had one or two solid landings and I really want to get it figured out! I'm scheduled for two lessons this weekend so hopefully I'll make some good progress. Fingers crossed!

Little green cards in the mail are fun. :)

It's official. Little green card showed up in the mail yesterday. 1st part of journey now officially complete! I'll admit - I just stared at it for a few minutes with a big smile on my face. Thinking of getting it imaged into one of those plaques you hang on your wall. A bit too much? Maybe... Heck, it's only been 50 years since I've wanted a pilots' license...

Hi, all. I'm a 40-something dude who just started his journey to getting my PPL in December. I've always been interested in flying and aviation and I actually interned for Gulfstream years ago back when the G-V was being designed (I watched the first flight from the tarmac at the Savannah airport!) After years of excuses (too expensive, impractical, it's just a hobby, etc) I decided to just go for it and do it. I'm very fortunate to have a wife who is super supportive and encouraged me to go for it- the fact that she's a horse lady and has her own expensive hobby didn't hurt!

I'm training in a 172 with a great CFI that I'm clicking with. I'm about 13 hours in and am doing pretty well- progressing quickly including being on top of comms at my very busy Class D. But: landings. My pattern work has gotten very good but it's the last 20 feet that are giving me fits. I just can't get the feel for the transition and I either pitch too much too soon and balloon or tend to fly into the ground. Practice, practice, practice. I'll get it and am honestly not that anxious for my solo to happen but man... I've had one or two solid landings and I really want to get it figured out! I'm scheduled for two lessons this weekend so hopefully I'll make some good progress. Fingers crossed!

DISCLAIMER: I'm not a CFI, but a student with only 45+ hours working to finish up my PPL this spring, but i'll tell you what helped me get over the hump with my landings. I too was ballooning on my early landings, but when I did these two things, it changed everything; as you begin to transition to level flight from a nose down pitch attitude over the runway, start looking down toward the end of the runway. As you transition from nose down to level flight and feel the plane sinking further toward the runway, then start pulling the nose up slowly until the yoke's in your chest as you land her. Looking down the runway and thinking of the transition as more of a U than a V helped me. (make sure you have plenty of runway) Good luck!

Go into iacra and it will show you if it’s been processed yet. When it has it will come 2 weeks later

DISCLAIMER: I'm not a CFI, but a student with only 45+ hours working to finish up my PPL this spring, but i'll tell you what helped me get over the hump with my landings. I too was ballooning on my early landings, but when I did these two things, it changed everything; as you begin to transition to level flight from a nose down pitch attitude over the runway, start looking down toward the end of the runway. As you transition from nose down to level flight and feel the plane sinking further toward the runway, then start pulling the nose up slowly until the yoke's in your chest as you land her. Looking down the runway and thinking of the transition as more of a U than a V helped me. (make sure you have plenty of runway) Good luck!

Thanks for the hints... yeah I am working on doing the focus switch from the aimpoint to the end of the runway. It's taking time to build the habit. I can tell when I stay too focused on the ground right in front of me it screws my timing and sense of place all up. I'm also trying to develop that "sinking" sense.

It's all starting to come together- it's just building muscle memory and high load multitasking for that 5-10 second transition. I had a lesson on Sunday and totally nailed the final landing, so I know I'm getting there!

Hi,
First post here. I took approx 25 hours of instruction back in 1999. I was 25 at the time, got married, bought a house, then realized my fun disposable income was non-existent. Now at the point in my life where I can finally finish what I started (albeit basically starting from scratch). Have my first lesson booked for the 14th of this month at KVLK.

I was in the same situation as you, family, business, etc. Wish I would have never stopped. Hopefully you will enjoy your ticket as much as I have.

Old ex-military/current airline type here. No single engine rating, very little single engine flying (a few lessons, Flight Screening prior to UPT, etc). Decided to jump in and try to get an add-on SE rating and have had a handful of lessons. Having some trouble finding the right 'path' to do this, specifically with what's required on the checkride, best checkride to take, etc etc. Not in a hurry and will insist on buckets of instruction before I meet my own minimum training requirements just to feel comfortable, let alone be ready for a DPE ride. The last thing I need to do is lose my day job for doing something stupid on a checkride I don't need in the first place. Anyone go through this process using a local CFI instead of a school (with a school DPE)? Tips, pointers, gotchas, suggestions welcome. Thanks!

...Having some trouble finding the right 'path' to do this, specifically with what's required on the checkride, best checkride to take, etc etc. ...Thanks!

Plenty easy to do; you might want to have a conversation with Chris Kreske at mil2atp. Retired Strike Eagle guy that does a variety of transitions.

https://mil2atp.com/

Jumping in and saying hello as a new student pilot (5-hours). Already looking at which LSA/Experimental should I buy LOL?

Sitting right at 25 hrs. Between all the raindrops and snow this winter- i have been able to get a lot accomplished. Slow flight, stalls, turns around a point, takeoffs and landings, solo, steep turns, emergency procedures, and last week got some foggle time. If it would stop raining i would probably have 10 more hrs or so. Ready to start cross country prep and execution. I need to get out there and get some solo time (endorsed for clear/no wind) flights. If only the weather would cooperate. Been studying as much as possible so i can get the faa written done.

It's all starting to come together- it's just building muscle memory and high load multitasking for that 5-10 second transition. I had a lesson on Sunday and totally nailed the final landing, so I know I'm getting there!

Well it finally did come together. First solo last Tuesday! Did a couple of patterns with the CFI, and then he got out. I wasn't as nervous as I thought I'd be, but there were two moments that gave me butterflies: first, when my CFI unplugged his headset, undid his belt, opened the door, and stepped out- it suddenly got very real! And second: on my first trip around the pattern I did a go around since I felt like I wasn't set up well, and I was climbing back out on upwind I thought to myself "ok, that was the right decision, but... I have to land this thing eventually!!!" I did on the next try, and did twice more after that.

Today I had another dual lesson practicing short field landings, and my CFI cleared me to go out on my own to do pattern work, which I'll start doing next weekend. Next dual lesson: first x-country!

Lots of congrats all around!

Any advice on how best to train for CFI?

Be prepared to teach any topic you’ve been tested on, on any checkride. :)

Seriously, it’s about teaching. Fire up the lesson plan writing just to get it all into your brain as instructional material and attitude.

If you don’t teach from start to end... well, you will.

Knock the writtens out while all the stuff is fresh.

Don't think I posted my experience yet.
Started getting my Sport license in November.
But it was slow going as I had to drive 90 miles each way to X04 to fly, so I always tried to get 2 2 hour blocks for me to make the drive worth while.
Finally did my checkride 2/2 and passed, even with a compliment from the DPI on my good flying, LOL.
Now trying to get my Class D and C endorsements.
But in the meantime I am looking for a LSA to buy, but can't decide between a low wing or high wing, and whether to get a S-LSA or a E-LSA.
I like the Jabiru 230 and 250 because of the interior room, but love the looks of a RV-12, but no extra room in them.
Have a chance to buy a Tecnam Astore for under 100k, evidently a good deal for one of those, LOL
Then I am thinking of maybe taking a ride in a gyro or helicopter to see if I would like one of those.
They look fun.
So now I am just waiting on the plastic card to come in and trying to get some seat time for the endorsements.

Back