Seaplane rating in Hawaii?

Magnus P.IFR

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Required
Anyone know of a school/operation that offers seaplane rating in Hawaii?

thanks

Used to be Island Seaplane Services (where I got my ASES) in Kehi Lagoon on the east side of the airport. Suddenly couple years ago the city/county/state decided their property taxes needed to be four times as much as they were the year before. Now it is pretty much only used as a filming location for the stupid TV shows recorded there.

https://www.kitv.com/story/36808149/island-seaplane-state-hikes-lease-rent-by-62k

Pat and Debbie did not deserve this...

Last edited:
Seems silly, aviation tourism is so huge in the islands. I’m looking for a destination/vacation to get my ASES rating and I’m not into Florida. I could do Seattle or even right here in Montana but I’ll be spending the summer in Alaska and would like some beach time come fall.

Seems silly, aviation tourism is so huge in the islands. I’m looking for a destination/vacation to get my ASES rating and I’m not into Florida. I could do Seattle or even right here in Montana but I’ll be spending the summer in Alaska and would like some beach time come fall.

If it’s a vacation IFR thing, Id do Alaska all day long!

Seattle is sadly not what it once was.

If you are actually going to be using it, or want some real training do the dunk course combo with southern in LA

Here’s a list of most all the schools
https://www.seaplanepilotsassociation.org/resources/seaplane-schools/

I've never seen a float plane in Hawaii.

Why not get your float rating in AK? Lots of options here.

Beautiful picture glad someone is living that life

Beautiful picture glad someone is living that life

From days gone by. :oops:

Meanwhile, here we are landing a Beaver right at sunset in Kehi Lagoon. That is PHNL on the left and Sand Island on the right. :)

My Hawaii life is on.... Hawaii. Never seen a float plane on the Big Island. Not many GA fixed wings other than Caravans and private jets.

I plan on using the ASES rating for a commercial add-on but was hoping to take the fam somewhere we could all benefit from after a long Homer summer.

looks like I’ll have to go another route.

thanks for the replies

Back