Duplicate Paper (337)

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
There is a 337 that was never filed, it does not show in the FAA file on record. (over a year)

What is the proper way to cope with it.

just re-file? If you do this what date?

Was the form mailed or submitted electronically to the FAA? If mailed, do you have a tracking number or return receipt? If submitted electronically, do you have some sort of tracking information for the submission?
If so. I'd ask at the FAA.

If it wasn't sent to the FAA, I'd guess there is some catch-up paperwork to be done. Would the plane be considered air-worthy in this case, as there wasn't any a record of the work done?
(see https://www.faa.gov/documentlibrary/media/advisory_circular/ac_43.9-1f.pdf 4.a(1) ).

It would show in a case.
You didn't answer the question about whether the form was actually submitted, either by mail or electronically.

Not showing in a case indicates it wasn't received or accepted into the system. One reason for that is it was never submitted in the first place.

There is a 337 that was never filed, it does not show in the FAA file on record. (over a year)

What is the proper way to cope with it.

just re-file? If you do this what date?
so....how do you "know" it's not in the records? Did you request a CD? or file?

I can do the electronic message too. plus I have my FSDO Primary inspector on speed dial.

how is the best to cope with missing 337s?
should I simply submit the 377 again.
What's the background?
If someone noticed it during a ramp check, or an annual by another A&P/IA, or another A&P noticed the lack of a 337 during a repair someone else may be asking questions already and the path to clear this would be different than simply resubmitting the form.

how is the best to cope with missing 337s?
should I simply submit the 377 again.
Is it part of the aircraft records?.....if yes, I'd call my PMI and explain it was mailed in, but not part of the OKC records. Ask him what he wants done?

Me....I'd prolly just send in another one with the original date. Or....wait till Monday and phone a friend. ;)

@Tom-D What would you do if I had brought a plane to you and you found something that needed a 337, didn't have one on record, but it was otherwise installed properly?
Perhaps handle this situation in the same way?

I found some 337s missing for my plane (FAA didn’t have them or at least weren’t in the CD I got, but were in my paper records). I asked OKC and they said just to mail them in they’d be scanned and added to the records. Which I did with a note saying they were historical entries that appeared missing from FAA records and they scanned them all in.

Just found the message (2018) from the FAA to my inquiry about it:

To whom it may concern:

If you have 4 copies of 337's and you want them added to your records in OKC, just submit a copy of what you have and they will be added. Ether they were never submitted to the FAA in OKC or they may have been lost in the mail (just guessing). As long as you can confirm the items are installed on the aircraft, this is not an issue.

Daniel K Gilligan
Acting Front Line Manager

Back