Tidbit of FAA Information

Walt

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FOXMIKE
On 30Jan2020 the Colorado Air and Spaceport will get a new identifier which will be CFO. Should you enter the old identifier FTG your GPS will navigate you to the giant FAA waste can of used letters and numerals.

"Air and Space Port" sounds so stuffy and pretentious (I have the same reaction every time I am through the main airport at Midland, TX).

Are they going to change the name of the access road from Front Range Parkway to Air and Space Parkway? Or the name of the company that owns the airport from Front Range Airport Authority to Air and Space Authority? Sheesh...

On 30Jan2020 the Colorado Air and Spaceport will get a new identifier which will be CFO. Should you enter the old identifier FTG your GPS will navigate you to the giant FAA waste can of used letters and numerals.
Thanks for the information

As one who is based at FTG, it's stupid. Really stupid. So, who profits from this identifier change? AFAIK that's the only reason it's happening. $$$$

The following airports did NOT change identifiers when the name changed:
  • Centennial (KAPA)
  • Rocky Mtn Regional (KBJC, but we still refer to it as Jeffco)
  • Northern Colorado (Ft Collins KFNL)
  • O'Hare (Originally Ordway)
  • Midland didn't change when it became a spaceport either.
By the way, most of the staff and businesses at FTG didn't know about the identifier change, either. At least not as this past Friday, Jan 24, 2020. The tower staff is remaining neutral.

It's amusing to have the 'space port' under the shadow of the KDEN Class B. Like, so close there's a cutout!
Take a look at a sectional.

Not sure what politics make Front Range the 'space port' and it's hard for the locals to say it with a straight face. Greeley KGXY is 40 miles north, out of the Mode C veil, in a rural area, and has a 10,000 foot runway. Akron, Colorado, KAKO is 70nm East with a 7,000 runway and there's barely even a tree out there.

The identifier change seems unusual, but I'm not sure who makes money off it except the sign painters.

As one who is based at FTG, it's stupid. Really stupid. So, who profits from this identifier change? AFAIK that's the only reason it's happening. $$$$

If you happen to be using Garmin Pilot and have it saved as a "Favorite", make sure you remove the favorite designation in the app before the name gets changed. If you do not, you will not be able to do a search for airfields without the app crashing hard. The only way to fix it after the change is to use the "Delete Data" function for the app and start all over again with your downloads and peronalized settings within the app.

If you want more information check out the National Flight Data Digest #237 (published 10 Dec 2019). This is an indepensible website that "real pilots" should read and study everyday.

They even moved the DEN identifier to Denver International when they closed Stapleton.
About the only major airport that I know did change was BAL when they renamed Friendship to BWI.

My favorite airport name is 41XS. Always wanted to tell ATC that I was over 41XS (no I don't think I'll ever get over 41XS).

I can hear it now, from the tower:

Cessna 23 Sierra, you are number two to land following the starship, cleared to land Runway 35, caution wake turbulence.

iu

Update....airport sent out a notice to tenants on Feb 3 that the identifier changed on Feb 1.

Swell. Just swell. I had a "mild" argument with one of the managers in late Jan (last Thursday, IIRC) that none of the websites have been changed, and for people 2000 miles away looking for info, there's no obvious list of Businesses or services on the airport website. The manager kept telling me where to look. But I'm not the customer the airport is trying to attract - those people are 2000 miles away and coming in on jets to go skiing.

Definitely a lack of common sense around this place.

I can't figure out who would profit from an identifier change. It's not like Jeppesen is going to get paid more for the next month's nav data.

If you want more information check out the National Flight Data Digest #237 (published 10 Dec 2019). This is an indepensible website that "real pilots" should read and study everyday.

A "real pilot" would have posted a link. :D https://nfdc.faa.gov/webContent/nfdd/nfdd-2019-12-10-237.pdf

Back