Flight Training/Clubs in Eastern Idaho

NoVA GA

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
NoVA GA
I will be relocating from the east coast to the Idaho Falls, ID, area this summer. I'd like to resume flight training after a two year hiatus. I have a valid 3rd class medical and completed 20 hours of dual instruction before I had to stop. I've done some preliminary internet research and curious if anyone can provide insight or thoughts on getting a PPL in/around Idaho Falls. Is it realistic to do the basic training in this part of the country or will the weather/terrain create too many difficulties? I have no aspirations beyond perhaps an IFR someday and to land on a dot at KOSH. Perhaps unfortunately for me, I see a lot more options around Boise.

I'm amenable to joining a club if that makes the most sense in Idaho Falls, Blackfoot, or Pocatello, so welcome any thoughts or leads on that front.

I live closer to Boise, so I can't recommend specific locations for you.

However, I did have a similar experience moving here after completing half my Private training and finishing it here in Idaho. It took me longer thanks to the move, but the varied locations, instructors, and environment made me a far better pilot.

Rest easy though, Idaho is a pilots paradise! At least that's what one of the license plate options says. Buy the book Fly Idaho! for inspiration. The high desert in the Snake River Valley and the back country in the Sawtooths make for an ideal playground.

Winter won't slow you down much assuming where you fly at has pre-heat options, or ideally a heated hanger. Though some of the more rural airfields might not be super quick to clear off the snow after a winter storm.

My biggest learning occurred with density altitude. I knew about it prior, but it wasn't a big deal back East unless I was trying to take off heavy or from a short field. In Idaho it makes a huge difference and can determine when you go flying, if at all.

Can't give any personal info, but, plenty of activity in the area. Certainly, primary training can be and is done, you learn whatever local and regional procedures are appropriate for the locale. In this case, a sound knowledge of high density altitude operations, mountain weather, etc. will be part of your tool kit. Weather can, of course, play a factor, windy days, mountain storms (perhaps better if you're a morning person!), etc., but no more or less than other regions where you learn the ins and outs of, say, coastal fog, Great Lakes winter storms, or Florida thunderstorms.
Looks like Idaho Falls has training available through an Avcenter branch, which is also the FBO company at Pocatello. Blackfoot appears to have an ownership/flying club. There are also small operations at Rexburg, and Driggs, in the area. Just start making contacts for info, or, once there, knock on doors and talk to people at the airports. I'm not sure if they offer training, but you could even drop in to Aeromark, the FBO at KIDA, they probably know about instructors and schools. All things being equal, it's usually best to have "your" training ops closest to where you live and work, but other factors may steer one towards more distant operations. Good luck, have fun, and welcome to a beautiful part of the country!

Back