1st failed color vision test after 9 years of flying.

M

Mike Johnson

I have been flying for about 9 years I have gotten 2 degrees in aviation and compiled about 1300 hours of flight time, close to 100 hours of night with no incidents or accidents. As I am preparing for the airlines and sending out applications I decide to update my medical and I fail the color vision portion of the test which puts a restriction on my medical. Prior to this I have had 2 First Class medicals with no restrictions giving me the green light (no pun intended) to pursue this career. I wish that this issue would have presented itself on my first attempt at getting a medical. I've tried a few alternate tests and have not had any luck on any of them. As far as I know, my last option is the OCVT/MFT to remove the restriction. I am extremely hesitant to take this exam because it will completely end my career if it doesn't go well and makes my $100,000 plus flight training debt have no meaning. I have put everything I have into this career and have nothing left for a career change. I apologize for sounding as if I am complaining, maybe there was a better approach I could have taken, but I am out of options now and close to desperate. If there is any wisdom that anyone can share any direction ideas whatever it maybe I'll take any advice at this point.

Just as a point of reference, I passed the color test using the box of yarn for my first physical when it was permitted many moons ago. I took a break and when I took the next physical, I failed the “dots” test. The AME said if I could fine my old certificate, he would not restrict my license. Unfortunately it was long since gone.

At least in that case, there was an alternative.

Ask Dr Bruce Chien, http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com/

Cheers

Failing the Ishihara Dots test isn't the end of world. There are many ways the test was administered incorrectly and folks on the slight edge of color blindness will get tossed under the bus.

Ask to be re-tested with the plates outdoors on a sunny day. The plates are designed to day light color temperature. If the test was done inside under fluorescent lights, this is a "under the bus" possibility.

Dr. Bruce (@bbchien) has also mentioned a Farnsworth Lantern Test (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farnsworth_Lantern_Test). You might seek out one of those, get tested, and then submit the results to the FAA.

Have you started any new medications? Certain meds may cause temporary color blindness such as antibiotics, barbiturates, anti-tuberculosis drugs, high blood pressure medications and several medications to treat E.D. & nervous disorders may cause color blindness.

You can’t do a SODA?

If he fails that he’s permanently screwed

Best bet is just to go redo it somewhere else, doesn’t even have to be a AME for that does it?

He’s obviously not color blind, but I still wouldn’t risk a career over a soda

Get a red colorblind contact lens, then do the Light Gun signals - if you passed before, you should pass that one.

See your eye doc for one of those - expensive, but you only need to pass the test. I don't know if it is legal, but once you get the SODA for it, you are exempt from any more colorblind tests. Might be your last resort.

STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP
Many of the above are BAD ideas.

Do not just go sign up for a light gun test. You may NOT use colored lenses to pass any FAA color test. You also only get one crack at this so you don't want to do that unless you've exhuasted other options AND you have practiced and are confident of the ability to pass it.

Dr. B has a whole slew of tests, and has good quality plates, and knows how to illuminate them (his old office had what he called the thermonuclear chamber, really just the glassed in vestibute of the building). It's a strong possibility that the testing plates used or bad lighting is the real problem.

You can’t do a SODA?

They have apparently done away with the SODA for this particular issue. Now they issue a "Letter of Evidence" upon passing the operational color vision test that I get only one shot at. If I fail it's a lot of flight training done for nothing.

Just as a point of reference, I passed the color test using the box of yarn for my first physical when it was permitted many moons ago. I took a break and when I took the next physical, I failed the “dots” test. The AME said if I could fine my old certificate, he would not restrict my license. Unfortunately it was long since gone.

At least in that case, there was an alternative.

Ask Dr Bruce Chien, http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com/

Cheers

Thanks, I will definitely try and get in touch with Dr. Chien, but he seems to be fairly busy at the moment and isn't taking on many new people according to the website.

Have you started any new medications? Certain meds may cause temporary color blindness such as antibiotics, barbiturates, anti-tuberculosis drugs, high blood pressure medications and several medications to treat E.D. & nervous disorders may cause color blindness.

I have not had any medical changes occur since my 1st medical as far as I know of.

Many of the above are BAD ideas.

Do not just go sign up for a light gun test. You may NOT use colored lenses to pass any FAA color test. You also only get one crack at this so you don't want to do that unless you've exhuasted other options AND you have practiced and are confident of the ability to pass it.

Dr. B has a whole slew of tests, and has good quality plates, and knows how to illuminate them (his old office had what he called the thermonuclear chamber, really just the glassed in vestibute of the building). It's a strong possibility that the testing plates used or bad lighting is the real problem.

This is great, thanks a bunch I will attempt to get in touch with Dr. Chien as soon as possible. I really hope he will be able to help me out.

I have not had any medical changes occur since my 1st medical as far as I know of.

That is good. If you still have trouble after retaking the test with the proper lighting & conditions, it would not hurt to see an ophthalmologist. There are a few medical conditions that a change in color perception can signify.

When I see my ophthalmologist, the assistant pulls out a flashlight and shines it onto the cards. It makes a huge difference in both color perception and acuity.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back