Airline/Professional Pilot Interview & driving record

Man...back when it was 55...man...that was hell. And then some!

''One time I spent a week inside a little country jail
And I don't guess I'll ever live it down
I was sittin' at a red light when these two men came and got me
And said that I was speeding through their town...''

Your driving record shows up on a background check. There’s two things they’re looking for. Are you over the limit on tickets and did you fully disclose your driving history.

Just a hypothetical question. Do airlines ask for a copy of your driving record during an interview? Let’s say you have had a couple of speeding tickets or minor events like that on your record. Will this go against you during an interview for an airline or professional pilot position? I know that the airlines will more than likely not turn away any potential candidate because of a less than perfect driving record. I’m just curious if it’s taken into consideration at all.

Granted, I have never had any citations of any kind issued in the 7 years that I’ve been behind the wheel, so my driving record is clean, but in the event that I ever do, does it count against you?

Read the fine print on the bottom, by signing you authorize them to do a full background check. What gets you disqualified is any lie.

Dan

Read the fine print on the bottom, by signing you authorize them to do a full background check. What gets you disqualified is any lie.

Dan

They expect you to remember any speeding ticket you got since you were 18?

Frankly it’s not enough of a life event for most to remember such a trivial thing with that much detail.

They expect you to remember any speeding ticket you got since you were 18?

Frankly it’s not enough of a life event for most to remember such a trivial thing with that much detail.

Yes. It is their game, and they make the rules.

Agreed, and chances are they aren't as picky about undeclared speeding tickets.

Plus flow through after you do your slave time at the regional.

I’ll stand by my who cares statement

I mean it’s such a trivial thing, I doubt I could accurately tell you how many silly little traffic or parking tickets I got since I got my permit at 15.5 and license at 16, it’s just not that big of a deal.

Plus flow through after you do your slave time at the regional.

I’ll stand by my who cares statement

I mean it’s such a trivial thing, I doubt I could accurately tell you how many silly little traffic or parking tickets I got since I got my permit at 15.5 and license at 16, it’s just not that big of a deal.

Well, then don’t apply to a major. They care. Trivial as it is, it’s what they want.

Well, then don’t apply to a major. They care. Trivial as it is, it’s what they want.

I don’t think it’s that big of a deal unless they know you straight lied, or you got busted for going 120 in a 35 or something or a reckless driving.

If not I wouldn’t want to work for a company that’s that stupid as they’d loose good applicants over trivial garbage. Especially as time goes on and they feel the squeeze

I don’t think it’s that big of a deal unless they know you straight lied, or you got busted for going 120 in a 35 or something or a reckless driving.

If not I wouldn’t want to work for a company that’s that stupid as they’d loose good applicants over trivial garbage. Especially as time goes on and they feel the squeeze

That is your choice to make

How does one go about disclosing one's entire driving infraction history if one legitimately does not remember? Honest question.

I'm with @James331 on this one. It's one thing to not disclose an alcohol related or felony conviction, it's an entire thing altogether to question the integrity of an otherwise qualified applicant over their failure to recall every government interaction in life.

Te be fair, I've only heard of one major airline being patently disrespectful to applicants/interviewees over this point. So it's a non-issue in the aggregate hiring dynamics of today. Said power dynamics in occupational life are nonetheless still one of the main reasons I continue to work towards that check of the month club. Reaching the Position of FU is my number one motivation in civilian life, flying or non-flying job alike. :D

How does one go about disclosing one's entire driving infraction history if one legitimately does not remember? Honest question.

I had a couple entries on my applications that said something like, "Speeding ticket, circa fall 1994, rural Nevada (Nye County). Unknown."

I knew it happened, it didn't appear on any of the driver record checks I paid to get, and I couldn't remember all the details...but I still added on the application.

I have found that the white and black square signs with numbers on them on the sides of the road keep the police officers away by not exceeding those numbers
Well, not exceeding them by more than ten or fifteen percent, in any case.

Howdy,
wanna tack on a question about driving history and thoughts. I am both civilian & military pilot, 22 years total service with a TS/SCI. Helicopters and Airplanes, ATP, Instructor pilot, have held a Class 1 blah blah. I just pulled my driving record and its atrocious. 1993-2007 14 speeders/3 stop lights/ 4 seatbelts /3 w.o. Registration/Insurnc and 2 parking tickets. Haven’t had a ticket in 14 years. No drugs or alcohol. Im all about being transparent, but what do you think of my chances of getting an invite for an interview. I know this is an old thread anyone still out there listening??

With a clean record in the last 14 years I don’t see a issue.

I’ve been driving for 44 years. In that time I have received several speeding tickets but no other moving violations. No DUI. No reckless driving. No too fast for conditions. No failure to stop or yield. Nada. Just speeding. Would anyone consider me an unsafe driver due to my tendency to go a little fast?

Point taken, but you sound like a maniac. You just haven't been caught yet.

Last edited:
I owned a company with 300+ employees for 30 years. We had company vehicles that needed to be used at times by a large percentage of the employee base. We definitely checked an applicant's driving record before hire.

30 years of experience told me that ignoring speed limits (laws) was an indicator of personal self control and willingness to comply with company policies and certainly the law.

I could not allow my oil and gas operations to be staffed with individuals like that. Distant past transgressions were not an issue, but any problems within the past five years in regard to multiple moving violations we took a pass on them.

Howdy,
wanna tack on a question about driving history and thoughts. I am both civilian & military pilot, 22 years total service with a TS/SCI. Helicopters and Airplanes, ATP, Instructor pilot, have held a Class 1 blah blah. I just pulled my driving record and its atrocious. 1993-2007 14 speeders/3 stop lights/ 4 seatbelts /3 w.o. Registration/Insurnc and 2 parking tickets. Haven’t had a ticket in 14 years. No drugs or alcohol. Im all about being transparent, but what do you think of my chances of getting an invite for an interview. I know this is an old thread anyone still out there listening??
Howdy,

Man! You sound "born-again," if you're clean as a snowflake for 14 years. I'm not sure what the interviewing company thinks, but I'd surmise that you've turned around and lived good for a long time. Good luck and God bless.

I had two speeding tickets within the two years (none before) leading up to being interviewed/hired by two Legacies. It was never brought up in one of the interviews, the other just asked if there were any more to list. I couldn't remember all the info on one of them so I just listed the year, state and fine paid and that was clearly good enough.

A friend had 9 speeding tickets with most of them being in the last 5 years. He interviewed with Delta, FedEx and UPS in the same month and was only asked if there any more lol.

I know of at least 5 guys with DUIs at the Legacies. One was hired by Delta within the last month. All of them were in their mid to late-30s and the DUIs happened in their late-teens/early 20s. I'm guessing if you got one last year, it might be a different story.

Guys can rage against the machine and think it's dumb all you want, but it's their game and as long as it complies with federal law, they can set the rules however they wish. They wanted tickets listed for one reason or another and I'm guessing it's used more as discriminator if there are other things in your application that raise a question mark. The Legacies/Cargo outfits have no shortage of qualified applicants, they can be as discriminatory (with the law) as they want right now and loosen requirements as needed. It's completely irrelevant whether we think it's dumb or not.

Back