Doing my primary in a tailwheel?

why cant the student in the front fly under the hood? if the front seat has necessary instruments? am i forgetting something?
Yeah -- the instructor has to be able to see out the front so they don't run into anyone (14 CFR 91.109(b)(2): "The safety pilot has adequate vision forward..."). Unless, of course, your trainee's head is not just empty, but also transparent.:D

i guess im just used to bobbing my head side to side, ive never considered my forward vision to be inadequate when trying to maintain position with the towplane or see anything else out there. i suppose its a matter of interpretation.

i guess im just used to bobbing my head side to side, ive never considered my forward vision to be inadequate when trying to maintain position with the towplane or see anything else out there. i suppose its a matter of interpretation.
I've been in the back seat of the J-3, the T-34, the F-4, the F-16B, the TF-9J, the TA-4J, and a couple of Experimentals, and I've never had good enough visibility forward in any of them that I'd be happy being the collision avoidance safety pilot back there with a hooded pilot up front. YMMV.

Maybe it would work in the back of an SR-71B with its raised back cockpit.:)

I've been in the back seat of the J-3, the T-34, the F-4, the F-16B, the TF-9J, the TA-4J, and a couple of Experimentals, and I've never had good enough visibility forward in any of them that I'd be happy being the collision avoidance safety pilot back there with a hooded pilot up front. YMMV.

Maybe it would work in the back of an SR-71B with its raised back cockpit.:)
True, but with the exception of the J-3, all of those airplanes might have collision issues caused by overtaking another aircraft. The biggest collision hazard for a J-3 or a Champ is from the blind spot in the BACK.

...and I will digress slightly by saying that WHATEVER the blind spots are, they need to be cleared periodically anyway. The fact that I'm alive today is a testament to that fact. BTW...P-3's say "US NAVY" on the side in REALLY BIG letters.:hairraise:

Fly safe!

David

I realize this is 12 years old... but for those (like me) who are using this for research on doing PPL checkride in tail dragger.

The issue I have encountered when attempting to use tail dragger for check ride is instrumentation.

I am in San Diego and DPE's want to have an attitude indicator and heading indicator to do the check ride. Turn and bank won't cut it. They basically require six pack instrumentation.

Is that a legal requirement? Many say "no"; however, if you can't find someone to do your check ride then you are SOL. I wouldn't recommend arguing with them about it- but your call.

I would love to do my PPL in a tailwheel, but I'm finding that difficult for check ride.

I got my tailwheel endorsement in a Citabria 7ECA years ago. It is really a pussycat, very easy to land and takeoff compared to some tailwheel aircraft. The only thing to really be concerned with is the heel brakes. But, the dang brakes on that aircraft are really only for precision parking at the gas pump and to keep the airplane from rolling when you do your run up.

I say if a tailwheel is available for PPL, and that's what you want, go for it. But, I wouldn't let the non-availability of one keep you from starting.

I got my tailwheel endorsement in a Citabria 7ECA years ago. It is really a pussycat, very easy to land and takeoff compared to some tailwheel aircraft. The only thing to really be concerned with is the heel brakes. But, the dang brakes on that aircraft are really only for precision parking at the gas pump and to keep the airplane from rolling when you do your run up.

I say if a tailwheel is available for PPL, and that's what you want, go for it. But, I wouldn't let the non-availability of one keep you from starting.

Did the plane have an attitude indicator?

The issue I have encountered when attempting to use tail dragger for check ride is instrumentation.

Keep looking... there are plenty of conventional gear airplanes that have adequate instrumentation.

Legalities aside, the DPE can decline to do a checkride if they want to. It sounds like the ones local to you have similar standards, that being that they want to have an attitude indicator, and will decline to do a checkride without one.

3FBBB158-5E66-4983-83A8-E4B84EAB8222.jpeg Here’s a taildragger panel for ya’!

Not all taildragger panels are lacking. Even if it is, I don’t think it can be turned down for a checkride if it’s an airworthy, in annual that is legal to fly.

Go for it! You will have superior stick and rudder skills for doing it- hands down. Transition to a nosedragger for the check ride if need be... shouldn’t take long at all. You will be bored on the ground in a nosedragger...

I wished I had done it in the order you did...

If possible start on turf, but plenty have started on pavement, grass gives you a lot more forgiveness as you learn...

Sorry to disagree. Don’t start on grass. Anyone can handle a taildragger on grass. Start on pavement to develop correct rudderwork, then there will be nothing at all to operating on grass.

"Not exactly known as a primary trainer?" I guess times have changed.

I have always considered Citabria's trainers and the FBOs were full of them as primary and aerobatic beginner planes!

You will get comfortable with the airplane and eventually master it. Just like a Cessna or Piper trainer.

"Not exactly known as a primary trainer?" I guess times have changed.

I have always considered Citabria's trainers and the FBOs were full of them as primary and aerobatic beginner planes!

Fun story...

Way back when I lived in Alaska full time, I had a guy I used to give BFRs when he needed them. He told me one of his daughters was interested in learning to fly and asked the best way to go about it.

I said, 'Well you've already got a plane, it's simple. She should learn in that". Thus began her initial training in a C-185. At about 5'4, she had to sit on a cushion and use blocks for her feet. She progressed rapidly and had her certificate within a couple months. A little later I started training her to fly helicopters. She's been flying MedEvac helicopters in Alaska for about 10 or 12 years now.

Back