Animals on airlines clampdown

Now we need a LEO. @JCranford might help. They can validate that the Parking tag goes with the car and/or person, but I don't believe they are allowed to question the sticker holder's need for it.

Correct. If the tag is valid, the car can be parked in the handicapped slot, regardless who is driving it, or their apparent need for it.

Correct. If the tag is valid, the car can be parked in the handicapped slot, regardless who is driving it, or their apparent need for it.

I got slightly harassed by our chief of police. I was sitting in the driver's seat in the HC spot with my wife's placard hanging on the mirror. She was in the grocery store. He stopped in front of me, blocking me if tried to leave. Asked to see the placard and my ID. I handed him the placard along with the registration card for it, but declined to give him my driver's license. Told him I didn't believe had to give him a license in that situation. He saw the name on the registration card was a female and assumed, correctly, that it wasn't mine, asked why I was parked in the spot. Told him my wife that lost part of her leg in the military was the one that entered the store, if I was the one going in I don't use the HC spot. He gave me dirty look and left.

I dislike that man. He's chief of police with 3 DUI on his record and, I heard, a sketchy shooting of an unarmed black man when he was much younger. At least he's lazy and avoids writing tickets so he doesn't have to go to court.

Maybe in Texas, but not in California. Someone I know was asked to show their handicapped documentation (not just the placard) and photo id. The documentation warns the user to carry it with the placard because it might be checked.

That said, I'm not sure how often these checks take place... it might be like a ramp check.

It depends on the jurisdiction as mentioned below
Maybe in Texas, but not in California. Someone I know was asked to show their handicapped documentation (not just the placard) and photo id. The documentation warns the user to carry it with the placard because it might be checked.

That said, I'm not sure how often these checks take place... it might be like a ramp check.
Nebraska, also. The tag goes with a person and vehicle. I had to get two tags, one for each car, for one person so I could take whatever vehicle I choose for shopping or whatever. However, the person needing the tags had to drive or be driven to the handicapped parking spot.

This entire unfortunate situation could be resolved by,,,simply permitting passengers to use their cellphones throughout the flight. That way they could speak to their support human and not require the presence of another species of animal. Outloud.

Why can't we just go back before the days of "emotional support" animals? Haul your pet in the cargo hold or leave the thing at home!

This entire unfortunate situation could be resolved by,,,simply permitting passengers to use their cellphones throughout the flight. That way they could speak to their support human and not require the presence of another species of animal. Outloud.

I like to take my emotional support wife.

I'm on the board of our condo association. Approx 300 units in a highrise building.

We are fighting with pet owners that want to keep dogs that violate our building rules. They're declaring them ESA, and believe they can't be questioned.

Surprise for them. We can, and do, ask for supporting paperwork, and follow-up on validating the psych claims.

We're in the process of throwing out a Pitbull and a Great Dane at the time of me writing this post.

Jokes aside....I hope we never allow phone conversations during the flight. It's bad enough that we have to listen to LOUD phone conversations while in the terminal. Thankfully, our current CEO is fully onboard with never allowing it...let's hope the rest of the airlines hold he line on that one.

I like to take my emotional support wife.

You mean emotional support GF? Poor form to bring both. :D

That's not true in many states. It may be de facto the case as it's hard to enforce, but I've seen people ticketed before.

Don't get me started about the time some ******* cop put a ticket on my ambulance.

“Dogs on airlines, we need this to be regulated!”

I agree. And there are 380,000,000 other people in this country, each with their pet issue (pardon the pun) that they demand to have regulated. And we have 535 members of Congress and thousands of state and local legislators eager to oblige.

We have so many laws, rules and regulations because the people demand it. All the while wondering why we have so many laws, rules and regulations.
Actually it's the regulation requiring the admittance of service animals or "comfort animals" without question that is the problem. If that regulation was not in place, airlines could make their own decisions as to their policies, and so could other places.

I realize that some people have a true need for service animals, but they should be able to show some kind of documentation when asked. Of course this is one of those situations where the cheaters make it harder for the ones with a genuine need. If there were no cheaters, then there would be no problem.

Last edited:
On a side note, there are lots of people training these service dogs, especially on college campuses. But they seem unaware of who they are training the dog for. For them, its like having a pet on campus for their own emotional support. I have a daughter with a serious disability. The other day, she saw one of these dogs, and tried to approached it. But she got scolded by the trainer for disturbing the dog. I couldn't help note the irony of that situation.

Actually it's the regulation requiring the admittance of service animals or "comfort animals" without question that is the problem. If that regulation was not in place, airlines could make their own decisions as to their policies, and so could other places.

I realize that some people have a true need for service animals, but they should be able to show some kind of documentation when asked. Of course this is one of those situations where the cheaters make it harder for the ones with a genuine need. If there were no cheaters, then there would be no problem.
That last line sums up an awful lot of the world's issues.

A few years back Margy and I were on some redeye back from California. I was in the middle seat (Margy always takes the window) and some guy had this little rat dog with him. The dog was well behaved enough and kinda cute so I didn't think anything about it, until I'd fallen asleep and the rat dog decided to climb on my head. Scared the hell out of me.

Never encountered an issue with a trained guide dog. They just curl up under their owners legs and are not heard from takeoff to touchdown.

Back