Jepp plate for Hilton Head

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
What does the "I S CAR" represent on this Jepp Chart? The FAA chart doesn't have the same notation.

0CBDD3E1-D138-4AA9-9CD3-52A04AC9DED3.jpeg

Hilton Head Island, South Carolina

You mean the symbol Jepp uses to indicate Radar approach Services?
Ten-four, good buddy. It's like a warning light in reverse: When it is most important to see it, it isn't there.

Last edited:
Hilton Head Island, South Carolina
Insert gif of me doing the V8 slap to the forehead

there is probably a fancy word somewhere about expectation bias. “The plate is an FAA item, so those letters have to represent a symbol of FAA information, right?” (Walks off shaking head to go console his inner Aggie)

Like this?
Exactly.

Not a big deal but. I always wondered why the FAA didn't add it. Despite widespread radar coverage, it's the type of information which is relevant to an approach. Yeah, one "should" be reviewing the CS for airports of intended landing (IFR or VFR for a number of reasons), but an ® or (R) next to the frequency seems so simple.

Some years ago I was doing the dual IFR cross country with a student. One of the approaches was to an airport without radar coverage. ATC cleared him direct to an IAF for the approach. My student asked for vectors. The controller laughed.

Just one of many reasons Jepp is better than NACO.
Except when it was all paper and Jepp had much better quality and, of course, the advantage of international coverage, I didn't notice too many differences which made one inherently superior over the other.

Except when it was all paper and Jepp had much better quality and, of course, the advantage of international coverage, I didn't notice too many differences which made one inherently superior over the other.
Even for the airlines that don't fly international: Jeppesen tailors their subscription to their regular, refueling, provisional, and alternate airports. Also, if an airline wants additional graphics on their charts, such as distance rings, etc., they get it. And, for specials, the FAA doesn't get near those.

Insert gif of me doing the V8 slap to the forehead

there is probably a fancy word somewhere about expectation bias. “The plate is an FAA item, so those letters have to represent a symbol of FAA information, right?” (Walks off shaking head to go console his inner Aggie)

Here ya go

Yeah, but do good pilots really care and do bad pilots really look?
For the good pilots a note: "Don't expect radar coverage below 13,000 on departure" would fairly characterize what to expect.

For the good pilots a note: "Don't expect radar coverage below 13,000 on departure" would fairly characterize what to expect.
Ok, then, have it your way. But a really good pilot wouldn't be accepting vectors until he knew it was safe.

Ok, then, have it your way. But a really good pilot wouldn't be accepting vectors until he knew it was safe.
Different point. The issue is misleading DCS information that is actually deceptive.

Back