Sky-Tec starter rebuild

FORANE

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
FORANE
I have an old Sky-Tec starter which doesn't appear to be a current model.
Mine is a 122-12FW 1802 model; assuming the FW stands for flyweight.

Are rebuild parts available for these or is Sky-Tec a replace only item?

Sky-Tec is a Tempest company?

A few years back when I overhauled my engine I sent the stater back to Sky-Tec for overhaul. They completely rebuilt the unit making it like new for $225. This was in 2015.

it can be overhauled, but for the cost of labor and parts to do so, you might as well upgrade to a newer, lightweight starter. What engine is this on?

it can be overhauled, but for the cost of labor and parts to do so, you might as well upgrade to a newer, lightweight starter. What engine is this on?
Lancair
Experimental
Lycoming o-320 with very tight cowl.

When I contacted Sky-Tec for a rebuild on my ST5 starter they said it would be cheaper to purchase a new unit than rebuild it. I hope yours is a better deal.

When I contacted Sky-Tec for a rebuild on my ST5 starter they said it would be cheaper to purchase a new unit than rebuild it. I hope yours is a better deal.
Re-read what I wrote in the post you quoted, I think you’ll find that it says exactly that. :)

A few years back when I overhauled my engine I sent the stater back to Sky-Tec for overhaul. They completely rebuilt the unit making it like new for $225. This was in 2015, can't say what it would cost today, but I do know that a new starter would be at least $500 plus.

Back