Whelen LED pireps

Mtns2Skies

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2Skies
Does anyone have pireps on the Whelen Parmetheus Pro? I currently have the Parmetheus Plus, both taxi and landing lights, but I could use some more lumens. It's listed as a landing AND taxi light, but I was curious if anyone knew the spread on these lights if it would be suitable as both or should I keep my current taxi light and just swap landing lights?

https://flywat.com/collections/led-...metheus-pro-par-36-led-landing-and-taxi-light

Just read the brochures on the Pro and Plus. I have one of the early Promethus landing lights. I’m tempted to replace it with the Pro. Almost double the candle power..l

Jeez, ANOTHER Parmetheus? Are they trying to get us to replace these things every 25 hours like we had to with the Halogens?

I've got the Plus for my taxi lights - One taxi (for the spread) and one landing (for the brightness straight ahead). My landing lights are HID.

Does anyone have pireps on the Whelen Parmetheus Pro? I currently have the Parmetheus Plus, both taxi and landing lights, but I could use some more lumens. It's listed as a landing AND taxi light, but I was curious if anyone knew the spread on these lights if it would be suitable as both or should I keep my current taxi light and just swap landing lights?

https://flywat.com/collections/led-...metheus-pro-par-36-led-landing-and-taxi-light
Check out the two brochures

https://www.whelen.com/pb/Aviation/Catalog Price Lists and Manuals/Parmetheus Plus Brochure.pdf

They didn't exactly do a good job posting the Pro brochure

https://www.whelen.com/pb/Aviation/Product Sheets/Parmetheus_Pro.pdf

The best in the business is the Aveo line of landing lights. Holy crap are they ever bright! But they’re expensive.

Jeez, ANOTHER Parmetheus? Are they trying to get us to replace these things every 25 hours like we had to with the Halogens?

I've got the Plus for my taxi lights - One taxi (for the spread) and one landing (for the brightness straight ahead). My landing lights are HID.

Well frankly the original ones weren’t all that great. Not really any better than incandescent as far as light power goes. So if they’re making new ones that actually provide better lighting, that’s a good thing!

The best in the business is the Aveo line of landing lights. Holy crap are they ever bright! But they’re expensive.
According to the brochure the Aveo Sunspots have the same Candelpower as the Parmetheus Plus, with the Pro's being almost double that. Anyway my plane seems very sensitive to RFI even after my avionics upgrade and Whelens are the only ones with universal reviews that there is no RFI, Aveo while mostly good reviews do have some complaints of it, which almost certainly means that I'll have issues.

I contacted Whelen. They said the Pro is set-up as a landing only, despite their website saying "Taxi" as well. I wish they gave an angle of beam spread to really get a good idea of that, but at $500 a pop I figure I'll start with one to figure it out :).

Just read the brochures on the Pro and Plus. I have one of the early Promethus landing lights. I’m tempted to replace it with the Pro. Almost double the candle power..l

It’s people like you that keep aviation companies in business, god bless you. ;-)

Tom

According to the brochure the Aveo Sunspots have the same Candelpower as the Parmetheus Plus, with the Pro's being almost double that. Anyway my plane seems very sensitive to RFI even after my avionics upgrade and Whelens are the only ones with universal reviews that there is no RFI, Aveo while mostly good reviews do have some complaints of it, which almost certainly means that I'll have issues.

I contacted Whelen. They said the Pro is set-up as a landing only, despite their website saying "Taxi" as well. I wish they gave an angle of beam spread to really get a good idea of that, but at $500 a pop I figure I'll start with one to figure it out :).
Thanks for the post! Very timely for me as I was just getting to the LED landing/taxi light upgrades. I'm all about minimizing the RFI and having almost double the candlepower is a win/win. It looked to me that the taxi version was coming soon. Did they say that is not the case when you talked to them? I need two of the landing ones for the wing tips and a taxi one for the nose. As you, I want the taxi with the beam spread.

I recommend the Aero-Lites LED’s. Drop in replacement and very bright. Much less cost than Whelen and AeroLED’s brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the post! Very timely for me as I was just getting to the LED landing/taxi light upgrades. I'm all about minimizing the RFI and having almost double the candlepower is a win/win. It looked to me that the taxi version was coming soon. Did they say that is not the case when you talked to them? I need two of the landing ones for the wing tips and a taxi one for the nose. As you, I want the taxi with the beam spread.
Hmm they didn't say anything about the taxi lights. FWIW I converted every light on my plane to whelen and there's no RFI, that's really my number 1 priority, with brightness and ampdraw being secondary.

I’m hearing some folks are going with the landing light in the taxi location because of the LED’s beam width and strength vs the incandescent taxi lamp. I guess it depends on your frame of reference. I fly with both lights on full time and would still want the widest beam in the taxi position for in-flight visibility to other planes.

I had the original Parmetheus landing and taxi lights on my T210, they weren't bad, but didn't have as much light as I'd like. I ended up installing 2x AeroLEDs SunSpot 4596 landing lights last year. They are pricey (like $600 ea IIRC) but they are MUCH brighter than the Whelen's were.

HID is the way to go if bright is what you want. It's a bit more money though

Well, since I'm an airplane owner and I hate money... I swapped my Plus for a Pro. I only have one landing + Taxi light way out in the wing so I'd like to go as bright of an LED as possible. I still have the Parmetheus Plus Taxi light installed next to it. If I had to put a number on it, I'd say the pro is about 50% brighter than the Plus landing light, though the beam is still just as narrow as the old Parmetheus Plus, so it probably wouldn't be suitable as a taxi light. We'll see if Whelen comes out with a taxi version of the Pro, if so I'd probably end up putting that on too.

I would say the heat sink is 2 or 3x as large on the Pro as it is on the Plus. In the image of the lights on the hangar door the wide dimmer beam is from the taxi light, where as the brighter spot light is from the Pro.

IMG_20200215_115748.jpg IMG_20200215_115756.jpg IMG_20200215_115810.jpg IMG_20200215_120249.jpg

On a related note:
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/whelen-parmetheus-plus.124404/#post-2876148

Last edited:
RFI problems are solved with dollar bills. Lumens are bought with hundred dollar bills. Don't let RFI influence you.

Jim

My two pilot goodies LEDs (at like $40 each) still rock a few years after installing them.

I don’t get the expensive PAR landing light thing.

RFI problems are solved with dollar bills. Lumens are bought with hundred dollar bills. Don't let RFI influence you.

Jim
na.... $0.60 from Digikey will fix that.

https://www.digikey.com/product-det...yUUpwGVRETmLjeP8wieg5r0vMEsIsf6gaAh0REALw_wcB
5943004901.JPG

For me, it's cheaper to buy a brighter light than it is to cut a hole in the other wing for lights or swap my wingtips for ones with integrated landing lights...

I just upgraded from GE 4411 to GE H7600 for taxi

Back