Basic Med question

Jr Hampton

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Jr Hampton
All ,

Going in for Basic Med physical and filling out the docs. Q#13 asks about denials. Previous on SI and just let it lapse as have not flown in 3+ years :( . As for denial , as I have an SI, Yes I have been denied in past but did get the SI approved after initial denial. Are they asking about that initial denial in that question ? I would assume yes. But given, this document is for me to keep in my logbook, I'm not sure it matters ? Getting back on the horse very shortly

It's a "have you ever..." question, check yes and go on with life.

are you sure it was a denial? i thought that was referred as a "deferral" until you got the SI, but i'm not the expert.

It's been since 07, I think. But, the first letter from med division was a denial. Until I provided all the documentation they requested. Once done , I was issued my SI. My guess is as George C above says. Yes and move on. Now, I have to go dig through my records for the date. God forbid I put the wrong date in there and something happens. lol "knowingly falsifying" ...anyway. Thanks for letting me bounce idea off a couple brains. looking forward to getting back in the air. Been toooooo loooooong.

It's been since 07, I think. But, the first letter from med division was a denial. Until I provided all the documentation they requested. Once done , I was issued my SI. My guess is as George C above says. Yes and move on. Now, I have to go dig through my records for the date. God forbid I put the wrong date in there and something happens. lol "knowingly falsifying" ...anyway. Thanks for letting me bounce idea off a couple brains. looking forward to getting back in the air. Been toooooo loooooong.

It's worth waiting for the official weigh-in from the docs, but my SI letter was "You are not eligible to hold a medical per FAR blahblahblah", not a denial. I interpreted that as a deferral.

If you GOT the SI and were issued the medical, I think you're good. That was my path. I think if you didn't respond to the SI request you'd have been considered denied.

"Until I provided all the documentation they requested"? A request for further information is just that, it's NOT a denial. You were only denied if you submitted the information they asked for, and they came back saying you were flat-out ineligible (usually "at this time")... or if you blew off the request.

At my last 3rd class exam, I had no fewer than 3 SIs. I was certainly deferred at one time (initial application in 2002), but I truthfully stated on all of the forms (including the Basic Med form) that I have never been denied.

Thanks all for the input. Other than now having 40+ y/o vision :( , Basic med is in hand. So glad no more SI hoops. Now winter needs to GO AWAY.

It's not a denial. It's a "lapse", which loses any significance with respect to Basic Med and Light Sport.

One other point to keep in mind. If you submit medXpress, your AME accesses it, and then you don't follow through with the exam then that becomes a denial.

Did it outright deny you in the first letter or did you get a "You do not appear to meet the requirements..." letter. That's still a pending application.

Whatever the classification is - I would have checked yes and then written the explanation. As you know now, you talk about it with your doctor who hopefully already know about the incident as ancient history.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back