Inline headset PTT button

Jamie696

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Jamie696
I have a panel mounted isocom intercom with a hard wired PTT on the left side. I bought a cheap Velcro WWP103 PTT From a local avionics shop for my instructor. When he was talking with tower I could not hear him. The spruce description does says not intended to be used for panel mount intercoms or audio panels. Can someone recommend one that I can hear his transmissions? I don’t know what the difference is in the buttons why one would work over the other or what the differences are.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/ptt_switch.php

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/categories/avionics_instruments/av/menus/av/headsetx_switches.html

There isn't enough info for us to be helpful really... Could the tower hear him?

I have to guess that this is how your intercom operates by design given what you shared.

Not sure it has anything to do with the ptt, but you can have somebody test this pretty easily.

Have you looked over the isocomm installation instructions?

The tower could hear him, I just couldn’t in the left seat. After some research and the fabulous help I received from the David Clarke company it was noted that all these PTT buttons have 2 contacts, one to key the radio and one for the microphone isolating it from the intercom. There is a fix In the M642/5-1 plug to correct my issue. I don’t know what microphone loading is or if this is the best way to accomplish what I want to do other than hard wiring a button in.

Attachments

• C168675E-E5B3-4773-BAC4-2C214FF9D2CC.jpeg
    C168675E-E5B3-4773-BAC4-2C214FF9D2CC.jpeg
    102.8 KB · Views: 9
The odds are great that the PTT is fine; it is the way the intercom is wired. I don't have a DC isocom schematic/installation manual or I'd help you more.

Jim
The tower could hear him, I just couldn’t in the left seat. After some research and the fabulous help I received from the David Clarke company it was noted that all these PTT buttons have 2 contacts, one to key the radio and one for the microphone isolating it from the intercom. There is a fix In the M642/5-1 plug to correct my issue. I don’t know what microphone loading is or if this is the best way to accomplish what I want to do other than hard wiring a button in.
I'll say it one more time. It isn't the PTT that is the problem, it is the way the intercom is wired to the headphones.
JIm

Back