AP and Panel Options

BlueBoyTX

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
BlueBoyTX
I recently had my 200A autopilot fail on me in IMC and after asking the shop to take a look at it, it's clear everyone wants to just replace the sucker (ah hey me too, I guess).

Received a very nice quote for Garmin Gear, the new 500 AP, and 2 X G5's well nice BIG price tag with it too.

A friend said he recommended the Aspen E5 / Bendix King Aero 100 that can be purchased for $10K plus install. Does anyone else here have this? What did the installation cost?

Recommendations around Texas?

I like my shop, they just seem reluctant to quote the second solution, not sure why.

Happy Weekend!

Wait a few months for the GI-275/GFC500 combo to be approved. Also, find a dealer that doesn't pad hours. The G5 is cheaper but the 275 should be easier to install. However, my local dealer charges MSRP and uses 60% of that for labor no matter the actual hours. :mad:

Thinking on why your dealer is reluctant for the second option, I’d be reluctant too to go with King anything.

I am guessing you have a Cessna with a 200A?

I recently had my 200A autopilot fail on me in IMC and after asking the shop to take a look at it, it's clear everyone wants to just replace the sucker (ah hey me too, I guess).

Received a very nice quote for Garmin Gear, the new 500 AP, and 2 X G5's well nice BIG price tag with it too.

A friend said he recommended the Aspen E5 / Bendix King Aero 100 that can be purchased for $10K plus install. Does anyone else here have this? What did the installation cost?

Recommendations around Texas?

I like my shop, they just seem reluctant to quote the second solution, not sure why.

Happy Weekend!

I went to Total Aircraft at KLVJ and was very happy with the install and price. They do all of the mtx on my plane too. Great shop to get avionics and mtx done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thinking on why your dealer is reluctant for the second option, I’d be reluctant too to go with King anything.

I am guessing you have a Cessna with a 200A?
Yep C182 and it’s the Bendix/King Aero 100 option was looking at with E5.

Wait a few months for the GI-275/GFC500 combo to be approved. Also, find a dealer that doesn't pad hours. The G5 is cheaper but the 275 should be easier to install. However, my local dealer charges MSRP and uses 60% of that for labor no matter the actual hours. :mad:
60% doesn’t seem that bad, Id say at least double the price of any hardware, and it’s not a messy panel or anything like that.

Lest anyone think King stuff is a good idea... Here's a new KI-300 next to an Aspen:

KI-300 bad.jpeg

The dual G5/GFC500 combo is very capable. Much better integrated than G5s with legacy autopilots. I wish I had the GFC500 (I have a single axis legacy STEC-20). :( The GI275s are nice, but the price tag is 50%+ higher as well. The G5s are already a tremendous upgrade, and are well supported. With the GMU-11 magnetometer installed in a magnetically clean location, you can slave your HSI to a non-nutty magnetic heading. You can also pull your vacuum system with the dual G5s as long as you keep the TC, recovering about 10 lb or so of useful load, and eliminating the need for vacuum pump replacement. I don't miss the vac system at all. As painful as it is to pay for the G5s, you will not regret it once you fly behind them.

I wouldn't install any new BendixKing equipment in my airplane if you gave it to me for free. There's a good reason Garmin is the far-and-away market leader in virtually ever corner of the avionics market.

While it's now officially Bendix-King, the TruTrak is a very good deal --- people are reporting $7.5K installed, all in.

The downside is that the TT is not certified for IFR approaches. They're explicitly forbidden in the AFMS, in addition to the restriction not to use the A/P below 700 ft AGL (a lot of owners mistakenly think they're authorised to use them down to 700 ft AGL in an approach, but that's not the case right now).

Because of their enroute-only IFR approval, they were able to get the unit to market quickly, with a blanket STC (instead of separate approval for each make/model, like Garmin has to do with their GFCs). There are vague promises that the TruTrak will be approved for IFR approaches some time, but no firm dates or commitments. If you're a VFR-only pilot though, you can save a bundle with the TT.

Back