Why the GAD 29B?

murphey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
murphey
Ok, I'm baffled (not an unusual situation). Estimate from the shop for the GNC 355 (GPS with COM) and the G5 HSI includes the GAD 29B (interface). Is the GAD required for the GPS signal to talk to the G5?

Yes. The GAD29(B) is the ARINC429 converter. The GPS data goes from the GNC355 to the G5 via the ARINC429 format. You could do just the RS232, but that doesn't give vertical guidance, and is not certified for IFR with no vertical guidance.

Ok, I'm baffled (not an unusual situation). Estimate from the shop for the GNC 355 (GPS with COM) and the G5 HSI includes the GAD 29B (interface). Is the GAD required for the GPS signal to talk to the G5?

If you have an autopilot, it's likely that the GAD 29B is there for the G5 to provide heading and course deviation to the autopilot.

Last edited:

If you have an autopilot, it's likely that the GAD 29B is there for the G5 to provide heading and course deviation to the autopilot.

Autopilot or not, to get the HSI to work it needs the arinc 429 converter. I don't believe they are selling straight PMA GAD29s anymore and 29Bs are standard in the HSI kits

upload_2020-1-23_14-18-5.png

The GAD is a bargain over using a separate CDI.

Back