Fly-In locations in CA

Peter Ha

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Leadpan
Hey folks,
I'm looking for all fly-in/display-days locations in CA area.
Is there list of airports somewhere?

California? No no no no, Peter, everyone here knows you're more of a 2000-mile flyer. :)
Let's find you some nice easy trips in your 150, y'know, fly-ins in New England or Wisconsin or..... haha! ;)

Can't help with a complete list for CA, but I know that Oceano Airport has a great "fly-in movie night" sometime in August every year.

I know there is the Copperstate Fly-in over by Phoenix in early February. Im tempted to make the trip myself.

First Sunday open house at Santa Paula (KSZP.) Nice diner on site. Lots of vintage and cool aircraft on display in opened hangers.

I have been to following airports and my kids loved it..
Following is my experience, not an expert advice, use your own discretion.

Halfmoon bay: walk out of airport and you are on beach, fish and chips.
Monterey flight academy: private, very close to beach, I couldn't land my twin engine there, but small plane should not be a problem.
Oceano: 3 minute walk to beach, ATV sand dune buggies, shops etc, (Challenges; marine layer no instrument approach, 2400 runway, SLO Wx forecast, may not tally may land santa maria )
Columbia: camping, walk to historic town, ice cream etc
Pine mountain lake: great location (my kids best choice (if you can get ground transport to lake (kayak, boat rental, swimming, food, other activities possible) during summer, Yosemite gate around 20 miles.
Truckee : may get shuttle bus to lake, restaurant on field, check wx, Consider density altitude and Icing, avoid flying around noon to avoid turbulence.
Carlsbad: 4 miles to LEGOLAND, beach, easy to get uber,
Fullerton: close to Disney land
Catalina island: 20 miles off coast (over water flight consideration), watch for down draft on approach to land, small landing fee, restaurant.

It is harder finding an airport in California with nothing interesting than with something. Very few gas and go places.

I went out to California this past summer to re-fly all my cross countries that I did for my private license 43 years ago and then some. If there are any airport eateries that survive this lock down these would fit into what you are looking for.

Kern Valley - Airport Campground and Airport Cafe which has an excellent breakfast menu.
El Monte (oh sorry San Gabriel Valley) Airport - Great Mexican restaurant at the terminal.
Santa Barbara - grab a crew car from Signature and find any of dozen places to eat within a few minutes of the airport.
Catalina Island - buffalo burgers at Airport-in-the-Sky or catch the van into Avalon for the day.
Palm Springs - spend the day, take the tramway up the mountain and enjoy the view while having lunch or dinner. It's called Ride n' Dine.
Rosamond Skypark - Check the restaurant schedule. Didn't eat there but it was open when we dropped in.
Chino - Flo's Airport Cafe - been there forever and still a popular place for every bike and auto club in SoCal as well as a few pilots.
Hemet-Ryan - Hangar One Cafe - a breakfast/lunch eatery.
San Bernardino International (or as I prefer Norton AFB) the Norton AFB Museum, Open two days a week, check the schedule.
San Diego Montgomery - Casa Machado Restaurant - been there are long time.
Bermuda Dunes - Gastlight Restaurant.

There are actually more than I thought but not as many as the used to be. Don't forget Santa Ynez/Solvang, Harris Ranch, Lake Havasu and Bullhead City.

You left out the best - The Waypoint Cafe in Camarillo.

I'm sure I missed several. Does Willie J Fox still have a restaurant?

Long gone:
Red Baron Steak House - Yucca Valley (L22), Riverside Municipal (KRAL), Oxnard (KOXR), Sacramento Executive (KSAC).
The Flying Lady - Morgan Hill (San Martin - E16).
Apple Valley Inn (The old airport - Sky King's Royal Crown Ranch)
The Captain's Table (Nautical Inn @ Lake Havasu City - the old airport. The one that was on the island.)

Last edited:
I'm sure I missed several. Does Willie J Fox still have a restaurant?

Long gone:
Red Baron Steak House - Yucca Valley (L22), Riverside Municipal (KRAL), Oxnard (KOXR), Sacramento Executive (KSAC).
The Flying Lady - Morgan Hill (San Martin - E16).
Apple Valley Inn (The old airport - Sky King's Royal Crown Ranch)
The Captain's Table (Nautical Inn @ Lake Havasu City - the old airport. The one that was on the island.)

I ate lunch last summer at the cafe in the terminal at Fox Field...

Foxy's Landing & Restaurant is still open.

Last edited:
Is Catalina too obvious - (when it reopens)?
It’s been 36 years since I camped at Catalina’s Blackjack Campground. I expect there have been a few changes since then. I did land there last summer on the new runway. As far as other places to go, I really enjoyed camping at Kern Valley last July and Payson has a nice camping area on the airport too.

I just learned that the Gaslight restaurant at Bermuda Dunes is permanently closed. Does anyone recommend a different restaurant near this Palm Springs vicinity airport, KUDD?

Stsvwas really nice we went to Don Julio’s about 20 min away. Klvk is ok beebs is just a walk away.

Little River Airport (KLLR) Great place to fly into. Taxi and cars for rent on the field. They also are having a fly in May 20th, 2023 from 1000 to 1500.

Back