FAA Knowledge Test

asmith2023

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Peaches
I’m taking the knowledge test for my ppl. What’s the best study method? I am using king schools, but what’s a good way to go about studying on the practice exams?

I have used Gleim for 3 knowledge tests that resulted in 90+ scoring for each exam. They offer a lot study and practice exams. You can even use the same testing format as the FAA for the end of course exam.

I have used Gleim for 3 knowledge tests that resulted in 90+ scoring for each exam. They offer a lot study and practice exams. You can even use the same testing format as the FAA for the end of course exam.

Best answer !

But try to LEARN the material...do not just try to pass the test.

If you do the Kings you’ll do OK. I scored 93+ on both PPL and Instrument “written” with King.

If you do the Kings you’ll do OK. I scored 93+ on both PPL and Instrument “written” with King.

+1

I used King for commercial written and got 90% and not all of the questions matched, but learning the material was the key.

FYI, I used Sporty's for my IFR and I thought it was good too. They just don't have a commercial course yet.

"Best" is an individual criteria. What works best for someone else might not work best for you. I studied from the PHAK and the AFH and used the questions book from ASA, then did practice tests using Sporty's "Study Buddy." Scored in the 90s on both Sport and Pilot.

ditto above (PHAK/AFH/FAR/AIM) + Sporty's Study Buddy for my PPL written.

"Best" is an individual criteria. What works best for someone else might not work best for you. I studied from the PHAK and the AFH and used the questions book from ASA, then did practice tests using Sporty's "Study Buddy." Scored in the 90s on both Sport and Pilot.
This. There is no universal answer.

In my case, my CFI turned to me one day and said, "hey! You are almost ready for the checkride. Don't you think it's about time you took the written?" So I signed up for the Aviation Seminars weekend course and got it out if the way.

I would not necessarily recommend that to others, but it worked for me :D

Best answer !

But try to LEARN the material...do not just try to pass the test.

I don’t completely agree with that, some of the questions are simply stupid or don’t apply anymore, like the question which direction do you turn the DG adjustment knob. Why do I need to know that? If I pick the wrong direction I’ll figure it out instantly and just turn the knob in the opposite direction. And I don’t need to be tested on use of a RDF or ADF either. So if trying for a 100%, you’ll probably just need to memorize a few questions.

Tom

I don’t completely agree with that, some of the questions are simply stupid or don’t apply anymore, like the question which direction do you turn the DG adjustment knob. Why do I need to know that? If I pick the wrong direction I’ll figure it out instantly and just turn the knob in the opposite direction. And I don’t need to be tested on use of a RDF or ADF either. So if trying for a 100%, you’ll probably just need to memorize a few questions.

Tom

Agreed. Like questions about how to report a DUI. Since I'll never get one it doesn't really matter, but that's something I could easily look up in the FAR if the need arose.

The tests look like they were created by some team of non-aviators who were contracted to develop a test on material in the books. Some of the questions pick up ancillary points and ignore the real kernel of the subject. And a few are flat out wrong.

You'll likely find that the stuff you really need sticks with you. When I started studying for the Private, I began by taking a practice test just to see how much I remembered from my Sport Pilot test two years before and identify where I needed to study. I scored somewhere in the mid 80s, missing mostly chicken-sh|t memorization trivia but doing well on the critical stuff.

I still hold that if you concentrate on learning the material well, you will pass FAA knowledge tests comfortably. Having recently taken the commercial test, though, I have to wonder if the people writing the questions have studied the FOIs. Most of the questions were fine, but there were still several “gotcha” questions that just didn’t need to be tricky to be effective.

I’ve used King, Sporty’s and Gold Method for test prep. All worked equally well. May give Shepherd a try for CFI.

If you think the written exams go against the FOI's, try reading the FAA's book on the FOI's. (Aviation Instructors Handbook)

I’m taking the knowledge test for my ppl. What’s the best study method? I am using king schools, but what’s a good way to go about studying on the practice exams?

Sheppard Air is a good study aid and also guarantees a pass or your money back as long as you follow their study strategy.

Back