Ski resorts near airports?

Ok, what is the ski area with the CLOSEST airport (I say Aspen to Buttermilk).
True, but you won't be able to land there during the holiday season. Well, you can land but you won't be able to park the airplane for more than a couple hours.

Taos, NM (KSKX). We've flown in several times at night. Between Memphis and Taos, there is only one mountain range to cross and that's just a few miles east of Taos. Although KSKX is high, it's located in a huge "valley". There terrain is not particularly hospitable West of Tulsa, but flying into Taos isn't like flying into Vail.

You can go a bit south and come around the mountain range. From Tulsa, head to Las Vegas, NM, south to TAFOY, make a right, past KSAF then right into KSKX.

You can go a bit south and come around the mountain range. From Tulsa, head to Las Vegas, NM, south to TAFOY, make a right, past KSAF then right into KSKX.

On the way west, tune in La Veta AWOS. If it sounds ok, just pop over hwy 160 and turn left. Use Cuchara valley airport as your emergency escape. If it sounds nasty, then head south and go around the south end.

There is no 'skiing' east of the Mississippi. That's just semi-vertical ice skating with long blades. :lol:

AKA the infamous "frozen granular surface"

Sharp edges were a must when I usd to go to Killington back in the day.

Jackson Hole.... Less then 3 miles from the runway to the ski lifts at Jackson Hole Mountain Resort...

Nope. Aspen. The Buttermilk base lift is less than a mile from the FBO. Unless one of those skating rinks in the east can do better.

Of course what the skiing public fails to realize is that the conditions which make for a good ski resort don't lend themselves to being favorable for airplanes. You got snowed out of Aspen and had to go to Rifle and drive? The skiing should be good then.

There is a seaplane base at the base of Whistler in BC Canada. Not sure if its open in the winter. If its frozen hard and thick, maybe you can land on it!

I know this is an older post, but this thread does pop-up high in Google Searches, so adding my comments regardless. Angel Fire Resort has an airport 2 miles from the resort itself, 8900ft x 100ft runway. Note that the field elevation is 8380, so be sure to check you performance charts as the density altitude is often over 10,000 feet, even in the Winter. Winds are typically a westerly crosswind on the north/south oriented runway. You can find a video on the nuances of coming in-and-out of here by going to YouTube and searching for "Flying in-and-out of Angel Fire" or following this link:

Last edited:
Sugarloaf Regional Airport, Carrabassett Valley Maine. Sugarloaf skiing is right up the road. If I still lived in New England, I'd find flying there a game changer from the Boston area.

Mt. Bachelor (Bend, OR) is roughly 25 miles from KBDN as the crow flies.

You’ll need skis to land on the runway, but here’s 0NY0 next to Gore Mtn, in North Creek, NY.

9765CF32-0A1D-4F2B-A466-5C6946BD0308.jpeg

Sunriver, OR and Bachelor Butte
sjm-l-bachelor-1022-03.jpg

As noted above, Carabasset Valley is right next to Sugarloaf and sit on a XC trail if you're into that as well. Fun mountain, fun airport.

Courchevel, France is hard to beat - That's the runway, hangar to the right, hotel Le Pilatus to the left with its ski-in ski-out restaurant in the front. The town and nightlife though is about a mile and a half away which may not suit everyone. Mind you I would dread to think what a night in the hangar might cost - a hot chocolate will likely be about $5 at the bar. Edit - I checked, it's $5.50.

upload_2020-1-22_0-52-45.png

upload_2020-1-22_0-56-2.png

https://g.page/Le-pilatus?share

Last edited:
Sugarloaf Regional Airport, Carrabassett Valley Maine. Sugarloaf skiing is right up the road. If I still lived in New England, I'd find flying there a game changer from the Boston area.
Also, Sunday River in Maine is only about six miles from the Bethel airport.

Mount Baker (BLI) has over 300" snow today. it is 50 miles to the resort.
snow-report

Boyne Mountain in Michigan has some pretty descent terrain (well at least for the Midwest).

The airport (KBFA) is right at the base of the hill. They have a free shuttle to and from the airport.

There is a full resort with a number of good restaurants and even an indoor water park. We try to fly in every year. It's roughly 2 hours north east of Chicago. Mainly because I won't fly over the Lake in the winter.

The airport and all of the amenities, as well as descent skiing, makes it a pretty good weekend destination.
For us flatlanders, I like this little hill. Not too far away, decent skiing (for Michigan, anyway) and super convenient. My S.O. likes it for the pool, I hit the slopes, then we have fun together on the tube run.
BM.jpg

Mt. Bachelor (Bend, OR) is roughly 25 miles from KBDN as the crow flies.
SunRiver is closer. Flown in there in the summer - never in the winter but I would assume with the big buck hardware I saw there, they keep it open in the winter as well.

Schweitzer Mountain is about 8 miles from Sandpoint (KSZT), Idaho. Great ski area and the FBO (Granite Aviation) is very nice. Easy shuttles to the mountain and it has lots of mountain-side condos, hotels, etc. Lots of GA activity. Or Coeur d’Alene (KCOE) is near the center of 3 ski areas - Schweitzer, Silver Mountain and Lookout - all 40-50 miles away and car rentals are easy. If you want Montana, you can land at Glacier Park (KGPI). From there you can take the shuttle to Whitefish if you want to stay in town and use the free shuttle up to Big Mountain or shuttle to Big Mountain which has lots of on-mountain accommodations.

Lake Placid is pretty good. It's a nice mountain for east coast(a little windy, but good). And there are 2 airports in the area. One right next to the town and free bus ride to slopes, the other is about 30 min away and is much larger and also away from the mountains. Good for backup

2 miles from 2G4 Garret Co airport to the little ski hill at Wisp in western Maryland.

Garrett_Co_to_Wisp.jpg

if you have skis, you can land at our strip. 0NY0, Bennet's Field in North Creek, NY. 5 minutes to Gore Mt. 100+ trails 14 lifts & 2,500' vert. Ski Landing.jpg

East coast, there is also Lake Placid KLKP

They held the Winter Olympics there, Whiteface Mt.
http://www.whiteface.com

http://skyvector.com/?ll=44.26575623665272,-73.96916198070996&chart=301&zoom=1

Saranac Lake (KSLK) is a good alternative and they have rental cars available. A great summer or fall destination, too, for hiking and leaf-peeping in the Adirondack High Peaks Wilderness Area. Lots of lakes for canoeing and kayaking, too. Just spectacular. We often fly up there for lunch and overflying spectacular terrain and fall colors in autumn.

Resurrecting an old thread from the dead, I know…but the ski season is upon us and I noticed several not listed in the post.

Boyne Highland and Nubs Nob both have a shuttle to/from nearby Harbor Springs airport (MGN).

Shanty Creek has a shuttle to/from Antrim County (ACB).

Crystal Mountain is less than a mile from Thompsonville (7Y2).

KRED is reasonably close to Red Lodge Mountain. Haven’t been there yet myself (hence my post about this place a couple of weeks ago)

I’m too lazy to check this old thread for any previous comments, but KPSF in the northeast was about a 10-15 min taxi ride to Jimminy peak. I flew there for a day trip with my 12 y/o daughter many years ago in my Archer.
I actually flew to Steamboat around 40 years ago for a ski/conference- Just glorious!

I'd imagine that there are more towards the west
yes

L35, MMH, TVL, TEX.. these are all a few minutes from the slopes, with L35 even offering either free, or very inexpensive, bus rides from the airport straight to the mountain. Having gotten my license in Mass I can't think of a single airport that's as 'near' a ski place as the four I mentioned above

Haven't been to any other 'fly and ski' same day airports than the ones above

Back