Tempest PowerFlite Starter vs Sky-Tec ST5 Starter

Pilot Steve

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Pilot Steve
My last few starters have been Sky-Tec ST5 starters on the O-470. I'm curious if anyone has made the switch to the Tempest PowerFlite and found it to be a superior starter. Looking for higher RPM on start.

My last few starters have been Sky-Tec ST5 starters on the O-470. I'm curious if anyone has made the switch to the Tempest PowerFlite and found it to be a superior starter. Looking for higher RPM on start.
When I checked the Tempest website, the links were 404'd. I wonder if they still mfg these parts? Have you checked and curious your findings @Pilot Steve.

Well here is the official update from Hartzell on the ST5, "There are no repairs approved for the starters referenced. However, we do offer a factory direct exchange program that might be of interest." As of today, to get one of those exchange starters it is $650 with a core credit of $210.

I bought an Energizer instead since I could not find an available PowerFlite.

From what I understand the best starter for Continental starter adapters is the ol’ energizer. The one on our 182 isn’t fast at all but I suspect voltage drop somewhere and haven’t troubleshot it yet. It has never been a no-start problem so there is that.

I did take the starter apart just as an incoming health evaluation as we had recently bought the airplane, despite about 800 hours and 12 years or so on it, it was still clean with ample brush life remaining.

Yes. I did the copper wire retrofit from the battery and that made a big difference.

If you don't want to go with the Sky-Tec any longer, skip the Tempest and go with an Energizer or a PM-Series without a doubt. With the others, you'll blow through starter adapters like crazy. Only a small weight penalty and your starting adapter will thank you.

Back