1st Annual in our C-182

Chuck Buchanan

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Chuck
I spent a lot of time looking for THE airplane, and finally found it. A '65 "H" model. 3800TT, 100SNEW Texas Skyways o-520 conversion, 3-blade prop (both just under 1 year old). I was worried about the annual, as being a never-before airplane owner, I've heard lots of horror stories. So, I took the Skylane in to a reputable local mechanic....and hold my breath for 5 days. The only thing he found was the cabrureator air cleaner needed replacing. That's it. He did all the work (didn't want me helping, and if he knew my mechanical skills, he'd have know that was a great decision on his part...). Anyway, total bill was slightly over $1500. I was elated, to say the least.

You sir, are a very lucky man....congrats!! My first year(s) involved a bit more than air cleaner replacing. :)

Sounds like you have a really awesome plane with low time, sweet upgraded engine and a clean bill of health.

The only thing he found was the cabrureator air cleaner needed replacing. total bill was slightly over $1500.

WOW ! an air filter for $1500..
How much was the inspection? how much was the parts?

If I understood my mech. correctly, it wasn't so much the filter, but the bracket that holds the filter element. That bracket had be (slightly) damaged due to improper torquing, and was ruined. The assembly and element was something like $130. So, the inspection was just over $1400. Oh, he cut open the oil filter as well, but the oil only had just over three (3) hours, so I was only out a new filter, and 1 quart. The plane came from a meticulous owner, in Idaho. Zero corrosion. Like I said, I looked for a THE aircraft, for a long time. I think I've found a reliable, well cared for aircraft.

$1500. for a year, is pretty good

Jealous. Our 68 182 the annual itself costs 1200. But last two years have totaled out at 6k each year!! But I gotta a good feeling about the next one..lol

I suppose annual prices vary widely across our great land. $1500 for an old C-182 annual with no repairs needed would be considered pretty steep in my parts.

I've only ever done one non-owner assisted annual and it cost $1200, but included a dynamic prop balance and a battery box repair. Typical owner assisted annuals have been around $600. I usually supply the oil and filters, so it's more like $700 total.

All that said, congrats on the plane, and congrats on not finding any undisclosed gotchas in the first annual. I find the 182 to be very easy on maintenance. You got yourself a 1965 flying pick-up truck, and that engine conversion ought to be a beast. Enjoy!

Jealous. Our 68 182 the annual itself costs 1200. But last two years have totaled out at 6k each year!! But I gotta a good feeling about the next one..lol
Ouch! What happened? That sounds like top overhaul money.

Congrats on the purchase, and a fantastic first annual. That plane must have been well maintained.
btw, I bought my first plane 10 months ago (a few months before getting my ppl) and it is a 182H ;-) my first annual was quite a bit more than that, but mine wasn't flown much in the last several years. And mine is stock, I bet with that engine upgrade the performance it amazing. It's a great plane, enjoy!

I suppose annual prices vary widely across our great land. $1500 for an old C-182 annual with no repairs needed would be considered pretty steep in my parts.

We did an owner assisted annual a couple times on my old Cherokee. It took four guys a solid 8 hours to do it all, and that's just a Cherokee, which is one of the simplest GA aircraft with the lowest parts count. One guy would have needed at least two days. 16 hours at $70/hr is better than an AMU, and that doesn't start to pay for parts, overhead, insurance or anything else. Sorry, I think the boy got quite the deal.

We did an owner assisted annual a couple times on my old Cherokee. It took four guys a solid 8 hours to do it all, and that's just a Cherokee, which is one of the simplest GA aircraft with the lowest parts count. One guy would have needed at least two days. 16 hours at $70/hr is better than an AMU, and that doesn't start to pay for parts, overhead, insurance or anything else. Sorry, I think the boy got quite the deal.

No arguement, just pointing out my experience. It very well may be a heck of deal for that part of the world. Everything doesn't cost the same everywhere. Anything over a grand for a basic inspection on a typical 4-seater would be considered high here. I don't set the prices, just pay up. I do my part of the annual in about that same time as you quoted by myself. I get it all stripped and ready for inspection in an afternoon, leave it with them for a day or two, then return and put it all back together. After several years, we have developed a system, and more importantly, I've earned their trust by doing good work. I only say anything because I'm continually surprized by what is considered a good deal in different parts of the world. Just observation and comparison, my good Professor. I reckon it's all relative, so to speak.

About $1,600 for my 182P at a “big” shop, no owner assist.

Would be about 3 days, if I didn’t have my own squawk list to drive cost and time upward. Usually ends up adding another $500-1,000 and another couple days.

When we did annuals we opened things up to get a good look, and sometimes the owner was glad when we showed him what we'd found. Cheap annuals are either done by guys who don't have high standards of living or live in an area where overhead costs are low, or they just don't bother opening things up, which is way too common. Rusted-in inspection panel screws, dirt and filth and mouse nests everywhere under floors and inside the wings and headliner, obvious and serious corrosion and wear in evidence, controls way out of rig, and so on. Most airplanes are OLD but we don't seem to think about that.

What is included in and annual? is an oil change included?

At a minimum, all the areas under FAR 43, Appendix D. Normally there are some model unique inspection items that should be covered as well... An oil change is not part of the annual, as that would be considered preventive maintenance. The required items under the annual inspection are not considered maintenance.

I always have my guy do an oil change at annual, mostly because it's cheaper with all the coverings off already, and I hate doing oil changes on the Mooney. My guy is cheap because he's way out in the sticks and he's at a family owned private airport. He's been doing the stuff longer than I've been flying, os he's probably fast. He seems really careful as well.

I do owner assisted and annuals which include an oil change and they're normally less than $1000. But then again I'm mechanically inclined and regularly help my A&P IA with other things.

Oh, he cut open the oil filter as well, but the oil only had just over three (3) hours, so I was only out a new filter, and 1 quart.
Just curious - 3hrs on the oil since when?

The oil was changed about (3) weeks, and (3) hours prior to the annual. Didn’t make economic sense to drain and dispose of nearly-new oil. Filter was cut open at oil change, and at annual, for the same reason- - just makes sense.

Back