New member, long time reader now in Seattle

NH_Moose

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
NH_Moose
Spent many years in NH hence the user name and learned to fly at KASH. Took 15 years off to do the dad thing and got back into flying about 4 years ago as a rusty pilot and then when I came out to the PNW. I did a SES at Kenmore Air (highly recommend it) and last week passed the IR check ride.

So hello to the PoA members,

NH_Moose

Cool. I will be moving to Seattle in June. Can't wait. I will be flying less, since I dont have IR and dont plan to get one any time soon.

Cool. I will be moving to Seattle in June. Can't wait. I will be flying less, since I dont have IR and dont plan to get one any time soon.
So will you be changing your username to "CoastalDude"? :)

Less flying and more coastal air is a dangerous combination :(

Speaking as someone who grew up and learned to fly out there, you can scud run with impunity as long as you stay over the water. And stay above sailboat mast height. :D

And all you people moving to Seattle just make the insane traffic problem even worse. What are you thinking? :rolleyes:

Spent many years in NH hence the user name and learned to fly at KASH. Took 15 years off to do the dad thing and got back into flying about 4 years ago as a rusty pilot and then when I came out to the PNW. I did a SES at Kenmore Air (highly recommend it) and last week passed the IR check ride....
Welcome to Bezerkley North.

Old wive's tale. You DO NOT need IFR to fly in the PNW.

Seattle as a city sucks and is in a cultural death spiral. Try VERY hard to domicile outside the reach of the Seattle City Council and the King County Council. Snohomish County somewhat lags the insanity.

Old wive's tale. You DO NOT need IFR to fly in the PNW.

In the early 90's when the base realignment and closure committee recommended closing NAS Whidbey Island it was pointed out that it had technically more VFR days than at NAS Lemore CA. Often a layer @ 3K but clear below. Whidbey got spared but not for that reason.

Try VERY hard to domicile outside the reach of the Seattle City Council and the King County Council....

Excellent advice! Seattle/King County government is nukin futz. Pierce and Snohomish are a little less. But, to really get away from the stupidity, you've got to avoid the entire Puget Sound. I'm far enough north to be able to just deal with it. But, if I were able to, I'd be east of the Cascades.

Excellent advice! Seattle/King County government is nukin futz. Pierce and Snohomish are a little less. But, to really get away from the stupidity, you've got to avoid the entire Puget Sound. I'm far enough north to be able to just deal with it. But, if I were able to, I'd be east of the Cascades.
Do realize it is snowing and below freezing :( (45 degrees & no rain)

watch the video... SEATTLE IS DIEING

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=seattle+is+dying+on+netflix+

In the early 90's when the base realignment and closure committee recommended closing NAS Whidbey Island it was pointed out that it had technically more VFR days than at NAS Lemore CA. Often a layer @ 3K but clear below. Whidbey got spared but not for that reason.

Yeah. Lemoore had layers @ 3H. That's hundred, and it was clear above, not below. Below you couldn't see your hand in front of your face.

Yeah. Lemoore had layers @ 3H. That's hundred, and it was clear above, not below. Below you couldn't see your hand in front of your face.

I have literally launched straight up to get out of NAS Lemoore on a SAR callout. 200 feet up, it was severe clear. On the other hand, during garlic season, horizontal visibility could get down to something like ~3 miles in haze up to 4 or 5 thousand feet. That 3 miles seemed like mere inches sometimes.

I have literally launched straight up to get out of NAS Lemoore on a SAR callout. 200 feet up, it was severe clear. On the other hand, during garlic season, horizontal visibility could get down to something like ~3 miles in haze up to 4 or 5 thousand feet. That 3 miles seemed like mere inches sometimes.
Pt. Mugu same way.

...On the other hand, during garlic season, horizontal visibility could get down to something like ~3 miles in haze up to 4 or 5 thousand feet. That 3 miles seemed like mere inches sometimes.
I'm almost afraid to ask, but why during garlic season?

I'm almost afraid to ask, but why during garlic season?

Many 10s of thousands of acres go under the disc that time of year. Their is so much agricultural particulate in the air (dust, cow poo, etc) that the air looks brown. But, the garlic smell is amazing!

When the marine layer spills into the central valley, from above it really does look like a giant bowl coco puff milk after all the cereal has been eaten.

Something similar happens in Oregon's Willamette Valley during the peppermint harvest. Sections of the valley smell of very fresh breath! I once visited a peppermint oil distillery in the valley. Even outside the building the smell was so overwhelming my eye watered. The owner brought me inside and showed me where the extracted oil flowed out a faucet. He had me stick my finger in the flow and lick the finger. PEPPERMINT!

More bad news for Seattle. 3 downtown shootings in 24 hours.
https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/mu...eattle-police-say/IECNIRBVOZFYTAEJNDDUUQI4QI/

In late 2018 Seattle decriminalized "small amounts" (cops say 5 grams) of virtually all drugs including, heroin, fentanyl, crack, and meth.

Predictably, retail pushers stopped carrying more than that on their persons. Four grams and the cops, under orders from prosecutors, let you go scot-free. So retail pushers have adapted by having a compatriot hold their stash in a secure location, while they go about their retail business unimpeded. It has attracted opportunistic sellers from out of state.

Sad to hear what's going on in my home town.:(

Seattle is Dying (1hr video documentary):

What's laughably absurd is how, now, Seattle city leaders are lamenting how they're going to have to beef up police recruitment in order to adequately staff proposed "store front" community policing efforts. The very same community policing initiatives they tore down whey they enacted their anti-police policies that chased so many good career officers out of Seattle.

Back