• No

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters

Hudson Stremmel

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
hstremmel
A 1944 Beech 18 will be sold at auction starting tomorrow Jan. 22 and will close Jan. 31. Bidding starts at just $5. The plane is in Yerington, NV.

What are your thoughts? Do you think it will sell for over $5,000?

Attachments

• DSC04399[1].jpg
    DSC04399[1].jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 133
Impossible to say without in-depth knowledge of its condition. How much are you planning on bidding?

-Skip

I say it will go over $5k pretty easily since its reasonably intact. I saw one with no interior, no panel, no engines, just a hull, go for over $2k.

I wish I had the time, extra money, space, and knowledge to bring that girl back to life... I hope whoever gets it does right by her...

Depending ehat it looks like could part it out for decent dough

I'd imagine the core value on those P&W's would be more than $5k :dunno:

Makes me sad to see her in that state, but I couldn't afford to keep gas in her, let alone fix her up.

Interesting first post.

Welcome to POA

Do you have anything to do with the auction?

"according to Hudson Stremmel with Stremmel Auctions, who is overseeing the sale of the plane." - from @Kenny Phillips link

The least he could've done is given us the auction link lol

I wonder how much it would take to do a full restoration and get her to flying condition.

I wonder how much it would take to do a full restoration and get her to flying condition.
Flying? Two engines, any corrosion fixes and ADs, maybe $80K. Restored? How much is your house worth?

There are two on the boards for sale, one around $160,000 and the other around $190,000. IF, and that a big iff, you can refurb it for only $80,000 then you can make a profit. Of course that all depends on the wing spar. There are a few issues with them and a few extra requirements to manage.

$80k doesn't sound too bad!
That would be my guess for merely getting it into the air. Radios will be very old, won't have GPS, ADS-B, etc. so figure another $50K on that panel, at least. And paint and interior? Another $50K, or more, depending on how deluxe you like things, and how much you help strip the old paint.
I don't want to search the ADs, but if there's a spar AD or something like that, it's worth its weight in aluminium, at scrap values.

I don't think 80k would cover the engines...

And there's nothing in the panel.

No way this bird is economically rebuildable. Static display best case scenario.

I don't think 80k would cover the engines...

And there's nothing in the panel.

No way this bird is economically rebuildable. Static display best case scenario.
Pretty much what I thought. Probably not worth it if one could get it for free.

Doesn't @alfadog work for a shop that restores these?

I worked restoring 18's all through 2018 and in 2019 been doing independent A&P work. I have one Beech 18 I am working on but I haven't accomplished much. Going to try to get going on that one this year. The owner is willing to cover a helper for me so that's an incentive. The guy I worked for in 2018 bought one up in Canada that needs to be put back together and I was supposed to go up there February 1st but it was called off for weather. LOL. Wimps.

This is the one up in Canada. Near Hamilton Ontario. Little airport that Spruce is based at. Forgot the name. Brantford.

36858368871_675379acee_b.jpg

Value in core engines and props. The rest is scrap. Sadly. Too many decent 18's out there to invest in restoring this one.

Back