How long is too long to let a engine sit

brien23

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Brien
How long is too long to let a engine sit in a box or back corner of a Hangar in storage. If it is not in a state that has low humidity how long can they sit around before rust gets the cam, cylinders and other parts. Dehydrating plugs and snake oil for corrosion only go so far and for long term how many do anything after the prep for storage. Those that start a engine and run them for 5 minutes on the ground for long periods probably do more harm than good, but that's another subject.

Last edited:
My brand new Lycoming was run on a test stand and shipped in a preserved state. The label says preservation is intended for 60 days maximum. No desiccant plugs, ports not sealed well, etc. Just preservative oil. You can read manufacturer's instructions for longer storage periods if you look for them.

https://www.lycoming.com/sites/default/files/Engine Preservation for Active and Stored Aircraft.pdf

http://www.ramaircraft.com/Maintenance-Tips/Engine Corrosion 02-15.pdf
Short term storage is well understood, how about 5 years I have seen adds "well preserved for 37 years" just how long is too long.

Short term storage is well understood, how about 5 years I have seen adds "well preserved for 37 years" just how long is too long.
Depends on how it has been stored.

A lot factors involved. Mine sat for over a year in high humidity with dehydrating plugs. When I returned, I had no issues and 10 years later, compressions still in the high 70s. These days with Camguard I go no more than 3 weeks without flying. No ground runs either.

Depends on how it has been stored.
I have used T-34 engines O-470 in a can with dry nitrogen for years no problems I am not talking about that kind of storage. It's the engine in the back of the hangar or the aircraft that has been sitting in a hangar for years not run.

Well then it depends on the condition it was in when it last run and how it was put away. Crap shoot.

I brought a truck engine back to life after the vehicle sat in a field for at least 10 years. I would not have trusted it to take me in the air though.

How long is too long to let a engine sit in a box or back corner of a Hangar in storage.
If preserved correctly, indefinitely. I know of a Continental W670 that has been in continuous long term storage since 1943. The storage method has been updated several times but it will definitely fly one day according to its owner.

Nothing is impossible for the guy who doesn't have to do it.

If preserved correctly, indefinitely. I know of a Continental W670 that has been in continuous long term storage since 1943. The storage method has been updated several times but it will definitely fly one day according to its owner.
Ya That,, but. my Warner was preserved in 1943, the can was to be re-preserved every 30 days.
in 2005 I opened the can, It was in perfect condition.
N3934V was put away with no preservation and the aircraft sat until 2013, I pulled a cylinder and there was very corrosion. I did not trust to fly the aircraft, so I re-built the engine.

we all can site a case of corrosion and no damage, do you want to bet your life in it.
old engines varnish up after long time use, but that varnish wears off on the wear line, where the varnish is prohibited to built up.
that is where the rust occurs, right where it does the most damage, preservation can't get into that area because the wear occurs on all parts all the time.

how about turning the engine? does it help? running or no?

I know a pilot who moves the prop 90 degrees every 30 days, Think it helps. ?

Lycoming doesn’t recommend that if it hasn’t been ran.

A lot factors involved. Mine sat for over a year in high humidity with dehydrating plugs. When I returned, I had no issues and 10 years later, compressions still in the high 70s. ...
Did you plug the breather and/or induction?

Did you plug the breather and/or induction?

I did. Forgot what material. Think it was like a foam rubber material. About once a month, had a guy go out and microwave the plug crystals and reinsert them.

depends.....I'd fill it to the rim with the cheapest oil you can find.

Depends of your climate. My IO-520 engine can sit months without flying here n the Arizona highlands with no corrosion. I have had airport cars go two years without being driven.

Remove the oil dipstick and pump the crankcase full of cosmoline.

By helps, you mean makes it worst, sure. Lets scrape off what little oil is clinging to the metal, good plan.

Tom

By helps, you mean makes it worst, sure. Lets scrape off what little oil is clinging to the metal, good plan.
Tom
The clock is re-sset when parts are moved electrolytes re-starts, long term oil coating is gone.

Back