One more 1090 vs 978 thread

Mtns2Skies

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2Skies
Alright, quick question on 1090 vs 978. I'm going into the avionics shop for GI275's and a few other miscellaneous things and I figured now would be the time if I wanted to switch from 978 UAT (GDL82) to 1090ES(GTX335). If I'm operating inside the confines of UAT, within the US, below 18,000 is there any rational reason that 1090 would be superior?

From an ATC standpoint, do they show up on the screen identically?

possibly....the 1090ES might display more targets in the cockpit, especially mode-C types? For a while....till that service is turned off.

Short answer...no reason to switch unless you want to spend money. If you plan to fly below 18000 feet and stay inside the continental US, UAT is just as good as 1090ES for all practical purposes.

GTX335 is ADS-B Out....not ADS-B In.

You will show as 1090ES traffic instead of UAT....that is the main difference.....you are ADS-B compliant either way.

The format of ADS-B Out you have has nothing to do with how many targets you see. When you set it up, you tell it what bands you receive on. All receivers receive UAT (weather only comes over UAT), and many receive both. If you receive both, then the ground stations will only send you non-ADS-B traffic, because you are receiving air-to-air for UAT and 1090ES. If you only receive UAT, then the ground stations will send you non-ADS-B traffic and all 1090ES traffic. Again, the format of ADS-B Out has no bearing on your ADS-B In receiver.

The benefit in my mind for 1090ES is that FlightAware and FlightRadar24 track you with 1090ES and not with UAT. For me, mainly because other people fly my plane, it is important to track it. I can also see all past flights if I want. There is also the benefit of it being the international standard, so international flight is better with 1090ES.

The benefit of UAT is that you can do anonymous mode when squawking 1200.

It likely more planes have 1090mhz and can take advantage of ship to ship position notification instead of looping through a ground station. Also works in other countries, though Canada may move to a satellite system requiring top/bottom antenna diversity per their proposal discussion.

If you can afford the scratch, consider a GTX-345 instead. Very nice to have panel powered ADS-B In/Out and receive traffic, weather, and other traffic on your iPad and/or Panel GPS. The other huge bonus is the AHRS to drive the iPad app EFIS and synthetic vision. Awesome to have as a cross check and back-up for emergencies.

I fly with my panel, but cross-check Foreflight for situational awareness. e.g. night landings seeing the proper runway on synthetic vision on final.

It likely more planes have 1090mhz and can take advantage of ship to ship position notification instead of looping through a ground station. Also works in other countries, though Canada may move to a satellite system requiring top/bottom antenna diversity per their proposal discussion.

If you can afford the scratch, consider a GTX-345 instead. Very nice to have panel powered ADS-B In/Out and receive traffic, weather, and other traffic on your iPad and/or Panel GPS. The other huge bonus is the AHRS to drive the iPad app EFIS and synthetic vision. Awesome to have as a cross check and back-up for emergencies.

I fly with my panel, but cross-check Foreflight for situational awareness. e.g. night landings seeing the proper runway on synthetic vision on final.

I don't think you understand UAT.

ADS-B transmissions from UAT can be received directly from the target aircraft just like 1090ES. Being able to receive UAT has nothing to do with ground stations unless you do not have the capability to receive both 1090 and 978 on your ADS-B In receiver.

978can use anonymous mode. 1090 can't. Easy decision if it was me.

How do I select "anonymous" mode with my uAvionics Skybeacon and Garmin 320 transponder?

I don't think you understand UAT.

ADS-B transmissions from UAT can be received directly from the target aircraft just like 1090ES. Being able to receive UAT has nothing to do with ground stations unless you do not have the capability to receive both 1090 and 978 on your ADS-B In receiver.

But that was my point. Most aircraft have 1090 and ship to ship will be more prevalent on this frequency. Of course UAT can operate ship to ship, and both operate through ground stations. Most installations with 1090 in/out are also UAT In literate. A big reason I went with the GTX-345 was 1090 In/Out and UAT In. For me I place a value on getting traffic information directly "ship to ship" as I fly in areas were coverage is thin. Activating synthetic vision in Foreflight from a certified panel device was also a priority for me.

I'm very happy the FAA went with 978mhz UAT as supplement to the international standard of 1090mhz. I have no fault with people who decided on the minimum of 978mhz out only. The answer for my plane was a fully featured GTX-345.

How do I select "anonymous" mode with my uAvionics Skybeacon and Garmin 320 transponder?

skybeacon app on your phone, turn on the beacon on the ground (its wifi turns off automatically inflight, I don't know the groundspeed threshold but I've ops tested it, you can't access its wifi inflight). Once you connect to it on your app, toggle anonymous mode on or off as desired and apply the change. Done.

This doesn't have to be done every flight. The last anon mode selected choice you saved is how it will be until you change it again. Anon mode only applies to 1200 squawk btw Non-1200 entries from the Mode C xponder automatically get handled with identity broadcast in the clear regardless of your selected choice for anonymous mode (on or off).

can a UAT 978 box "see" an uncooperative mode-C aircraft? I bet the 1090ES mode-S does....

But that was my point. Most aircraft have 1090 and ship to ship will be more prevalent on this frequency. Of course UAT can operate ship to ship, and both operate through ground stations. Most installations with 1090 in/out are also UAT In literate. A big reason I went with the GTX-345 was 1090 In/Out and UAT In. For me I place a value on getting traffic information directly "ship to ship" as I fly in areas were coverage is thin. Activating synthetic vision in Foreflight from a certified panel device was also a priority for me.

I'm very happy the FAA went with 978mhz UAT as supplement to the international standard of 1090mhz. I have no fault with people who decided on the minimum of 978mhz out only. The answer for my plane was a fully featured GTX-345.

You still don't get it.....if you have a dual band ADS-B receiver, you do not depend on towers for traffic, so the "coverage is thin" does not matter.

If you have a dual band ADS-B receiver...like a Stratux, Stratus, GTX345 or whatever, you receive all ADS-B traffic "ship to ship". The only additional traffic you will get from ADS-B towers is TIS-B traffic, plus weather. The towers DO retransmit ads-b traffic info, but you should receive that without any help from the tower transmission.

The ahrs in ForeFlight works fine with my Stratux....remember ForeFlight is not certified and nether is the ahrs in ForeFlight, although it is a great tool that I use all the time.

With that being said, I have installed GTX345 units in aircraft with GTN430W so the traffic displays on the screen....that works very well, as it should. If I had a Garmin GPS with that capability, I would probably have gone route.

Sitting on the ramp outside my hangar, I receive traffic from over 100nm away which increases when I am at altitude....not too shabby for a Stratux. I usually receive 3 or more towers in flight for weather and TIS-B traffic.

So it dpends on your intentions...if you do not fly above 18000ft and stay inside the US, UAT is fine...so is 1090ES. The OP already has UAT capability...it is his decision.

Last edited:
can a UAT 978 box "see" an uncooperative mode-C aircraft? I bet the 1090ES mode-S does....

Yes it can. FAA rebroadcasts all secondary targets inside your hockey puck of airspace IF you are a participating OUT aircraft.

They didn’t find it important enough to retransmit all targets at all times. Because that would be “safer”. LOL.

Yes it can. FAA rebroadcasts all secondary targets inside your hockey puck of airspace IF you are a participating OUT aircraft.

They didn’t find it important enough to retransmit all targets at all times. Because that would be “safer”. LOL.
what about outside the terminal area?

what about outside the terminal area?

Depends on where the tower coverage is. There’s a map on the FAA website by altitude.

It’s not a safety system and was not designed to be one. On purpose.

They’ll show you the non-participating aircraft on either band IF you’re a participating aircraft if the target is inside your hockey puck.

If you aren’t sending surveillance data (not safety data) you have no hockey puck and you get no service unless you happen to be inside someone else’s hockey puck — or whatever your receiver or receivers from your chosen manufacturer chooses to display.

But there’s nothing stopping your receiver on either band, or even two receivers if you choose to install two, from decoding everything received directly and displaying it to you.

Good luck knowing in the cockpit if the back end data system failed and isn’t retransmitting anything between bands or just on yours. Some failures will trigger warnings, lack of data won’t.

It’ll be buried in eight pages of FDC NOTAMS you can read after you land, maybe. If they’ve noticed.

There’s no recurring end to end “test target” sent at regular intervals for the system to monitor for via monitoring receivers or your receiver to notice it went missing. You have to have those on life safety systems handling automated telemetry.

Since he is not going anywhere needing 1090, definitely no need to change. Here are reasons that might make it worthwhile to change:

1. Your xpdr that the GDL82 is piggy-backing off of is getting old.
2. You want 200watts of "I'm here" power vs 20watts.
3. Pretty much the majority of the country has additional receivers for 1090 so way more likely to show up on flightaware, etc. However you would think more and more of the raspberry-pi receivers would add a 2nd rx fairly soon.
4. Shed a little weight
5. You have an addiction to paying more installation cost.

Back