Father wants to get his private, Medical advice

USAF-LT-G

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
USAF-LT-G
Hi everyone -

After flying so many hours with me, and basically doing all he can legally as a passenger, he really wants to take the leap and get his private already, which I don't blame him... he has the itch. Looking for some advice though, as I know he'll require a special issuance for his initial third-class.

He is aged 74
He has Type II, non-insulin based, medication controlled A1C under 9.0
He also has hearing aids, but I believe could pass hearing standards with the hearing aids.
No cardiovascular issues, or any other issues that I'm aware of, and can pass an EKG no problem.

With this given, should he be able to get his initial? What medical paperwork does he need to get in order? Anyone familiar with how long typically they'll allow him to have before recert?

I'm under a special now which is good for 1 year no matter what class (currently first), due to DVT and Humira for ankylosing spondylitus, and wasn't that big of a deal but I'm in my 40s, no glasses, no hearing issues, etc.

Just curious if anyone has any experience. I'm worried that since it's his initial, they may be more "scrutinizing" but I don't really know. He's in good health otherwise.

Thanks!

You probably should post this in Medical Topics so it gets recognized by one of the doctors who frequent that forum. Good luck with it!

You probably should post this in Medical Topics so it gets recognized by one of the doctors who frequent that forum. Good luck with it!

whoops my bad... Admin - please feel free to move.

A1C needs to be 6.5 and under and not need an SI. Over that....bbchien can provide more details.

Sport pilot might be the better way to go.

Sport pilot has too many limitations and doses to work at all for traveling.
The rules on sport pilot may change by the time he gets his ticket. Something to keep in mind and do some research on.

no problems likely ... just a lot of rules and regs for his medical conditions. Find a lucky AME and get to work!

IMHO your dad's best bet would be to get an SI 3rd class medical, then go BasicMed.

In 2006, I got an SI 3rd class and flew an LSA exercising the privileges of a sport pilot using my valid California driver license in lieu of a medical certificate. A decade later in May, 2017, I went BasicMed primarily so I could fly at night and not have to land at sunset and spend the night in a hotel when flying home cross-country and encountering higher than forecast headwinds. I kept the LSA because it's so inexpensive to fly and maintain, but with BasicMed I can rent a bigger airplane on occasions when I want to fly faster or carry more passengers.

Sport pilot has too many limitations to work at all for traveling.

Have you ever looked at what the regs actually allow a sport pilot to do or are you mixing up sport pilot and recreational pilot certificates? Many sport pilots use their planes to travel all over the country. There are few limitations that a sport pilot has vs a private pilot (i.e. vfr, no night flying and a limit on aircraft weight/speed). I had no trouble flying from Connecticut out to Oshkosh under sport pilot rules in my Sonex.

Although I hold a private pilot certificate I don't ever plan on going through the medical hoops again and risk loosing my certificate over some bureaucrats interpretation of what is medically relevant to fly but not relevant to drive a car. If there is any chance that you think your father won't pass a medical I highly recommend looking at the sport pilot route. Having a few limitations is far better than loosing all flying options when an uninformed AME decides some medicine you took 10 years ago suddenly will require you to undergo thousands of dollars in unnecessary tests with no guarantee that their results will even get you a special issuance.

Sport pilot has too many limitations to work at all for traveling.

Not necessarily true. Define the mission.

4 passengers plus luggage for a week? SP won’t work.

Two hunting buddies with guns and gear flying to Canada and planning to fly out with a load of moose meat? SP won’t work.

Flying with the wife to visit the grandkids for a few days? SP might work just fine.

Solo fishing trip? SP is plenty.

Class 3 and Private gives much greater options, granted. But don’t be so quick to write off Sport if the medical is chancy or expensive.

For SP cert holders the most annoying limitation for cross country traveling is ...weather - basically the same as for any VFR only pilot.
Granted , you can’t fly at night - but once you hit certain age, do you really want to ?

Get the NIDDM worksheet filled out and signed with a hbA1c > 60 days after his last med change, and within 90 day dated prior to application. If all is affirmative , apply and he’ll have an SI in 45 days. Then he can do basic med.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back