1965 Cherokee 180 panel refresh

Jason Jagoe

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Jay
I have to admit I’m getting a headache from reading through info and watching videos.

me —> 20,000 airline guy
Airplane —> 1965 Cherokee with basic panel and no built in nav with older radios and audio panel. Bought last spring.
Mission —> hamburgers and family trips within 350 miles. The odd X-country.

it started when my old transponder went black in NYC class B late last summer. My planes parked for the winter so I had lots of time. I bought a used Garmin 327 (I’m in Canada. Waiting for ads-b final mandate for 1090)

Then I figured if I’m going to have my panel opened why not add a Garmin 345 Audio panel and Garmin 255 com.

I’m not interested in marking it an IFR platform. Just a good VFR machine. The thing that was holding me back with the G5 set up was thinking I needed a panel mounted WAAS gps. Something I couldn’t give a shiiite about.

After hours of research I’ve come up with

Garmin G5 AI
Garmin 345 audio
Garmin 255 com
Garmin 327 transponder
Garmin aera 660 panel mount
Garmin GDL 52 ads-b/XM in (AHRS for 660 and iPad)

next winter add GNC 500 AP

There’s so much knowledge and experience on this site. Looking for input. What am I missing. Will all these products work well together? Will the 660 tie into the G5 well and hence run the autopilot in the future? Does the GDL 52 tie into the 345 audio panel?

Thanks for any input

Cheers

J

I'm rather fond of the PSEngineering audio panels. I've got one of the original 6000 models (almost 20 yrs old) and have had zero problems with it, zero problems integrating into Garmin equipment, and PSEngineering is cheaper.

The 660 will not play with the G5. Not officially. Whoever installs the G5 will also install (required) a certified GPS source (translation: GPS antenna). I have the ADS-B 335 Transponder, which drives the G5 AI.

Thanks for the reply. I just looked at the PS engineering. Looks pretty similar and slightly cheaper. I liked the fact I could plug the 660 into the Garmin comm and it would find frequencies for me. Not sure how much people use it?

So the G5 and the aera 660 don’t connect? Or they do but not for certified aircraft? I thought I had read they could drive the G5 and 500 auto pilot in lnav and vnav? I’ll have to keep digging. The main selling point with that set up was no need to install panel gps.

Thanks again

J

Yup, the Aera and G5 can talk using the RS232 but........only for the experimental world in the US. Don’t know about Canada.

That’s actually humorous. Would I rather the AP be following a vor signal or a waas gps signal.

Thanks for the info. I’ll attempt to search through the Canadian regs. They usually follow the FAA

J

Usually Transport Canada is stricter than the FAA based on my experience for for Canadian operators as a US pilot.

In the US, the ADS B source will have to come from a permanent mounted source being either a WAAS navigator (ie Garmin 430W or Avydyne 440).

Since you don’t have a permanent mounted WAAS panel navigator, then you’d need to have independent and non-portable ADS -B such as a GDL-88 (probably best option with the Garmin 327).

I’ve never seen where a panel mount (Aera 660) meets any of the ADS B out install requirements for an approved WAAS source. Being in Canada I’m also not sure if you guys are going to 1090ES only or if 978UAT is acceptable like it is in the US. If TC requires a 1090 transponder, then the Garmin 335, Stratus ESG, or Lynx 9000 will be your “cheapest” options

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s actually even worse then just using 1090ES. They’re debating whether ads-b needs an upper and lower antenna. Uvionics is flight testing I believe a wing mounted 1090 system for us Canadians. My plan was to add that when needed.

J

I have to admit I’m getting a headache from reading through info and watching videos.

Does the GDL 52 tie into the 345 audio panel?

Thanks for any input

Cheers

J

Yes it does. I have my Aera 660 hard wired to my GTN650 and the GDL51. I also have the GDL51 hard wired to my GMA 350 Audio Panel. If you choose to do both options, here’s the parts you’ll need:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/536072
Cheapest option. You’ll just plug a 3.5 mm to the Aera adapter and then a spliced 3.5 mm to the back of the 345 audio panel. (Nav 2 or Aux)

You can also BT the GDL 52 to the 345 audio panel.

Here’s the wires to do it as I have set up in my plane:

Aera 660 wire connector:
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/520780

GDL52 Wire connector.
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/93552

a2a511f8f7cbb57ae8ca84354aaaa39f.jpg

Yes the ADI and HSI displays were reversed for avionics testing.

Last edited:
...Being in Canada I’m also not sure if you guys are going to 1090ES only or if 978UAT is acceptable like it is in the US. If TC requires a 1090 transponder, then the Garmin 335, Stratus ESG, or Lynx 9000 will be your “cheapest” options.

It will be 1090. To my knowledge no other country in the world is planning to use 978UAT for ADS-B, only the USA. I believe Mexico has, or will require 1090 to fly in its airspace.

It’s actually even worse then just using 1090ES. They’re debating whether ads-b needs an upper and lower antenna. Uvionics is flight testing I believe a wing mounted 1090 system for us Canadians. My plan was to add that when needed.

J

That's because every other country except the USA is going satellite based ADS-B, and the FAA went with ground stations.

Last March Garmin came out with a diversity antenna option (dual antennas, top and bottom of the plane) for the 335 and 345 transponders, but it's ridiculously expensive.

The current uAvionix products are 978UAT frequency and won't work anywhere outside the USA. Looks like uAvionix is also now working on a 1090 diversity antenna version of the tailbeacon, as well as the wingtip version.

The Lynx 9000 also has a diversity option, though it's a software unlock on the box itself. Add the wiring and antenna on top and you're good for international flights.

It will be 1090. To my knowledge no other country in the world is planning to use 978UAT for ADS-B, only the USA. I believe Mexico has, or will require 1090 to fly in its airspace.

That's because every other country except the USA is going satellite based ADS-B, and the FAA went with ground stations.

Last March Garmin came out with a diversity antenna option (dual antennas, top and bottom of the plane) for the 335 and 345 transponders, but it's ridiculously expensive.
$2500 on top of the base price of the 335! I seriously doubt there will be a cost-effective upgrade path...But since Canada doesn't recognize Basic Med these days, I won't be flying to Canada.

The only good news? Value of my Garmin stock.
The current uAvionix products are 978UAT frequency and won't work anywhere outside the USA. Looks like uAvionix is also now working on a 1090 diversity antenna version of the tailbeacon, as well as the wingtip version.

Back