AOA Indicator: Pneumatic vs electronic?

Chesterspal

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Chesterspal
I've only used the bar graph type, but I think I'd be fine with either.

However, does the pneumatic have a buzzer? Can the electronic be wired into the audio panel to give vocal warnings?

I think I would like the round gauge since it gives you a reading in a continuous range rather than discrete intervals.

Having installed the CYA and flown behind an alpha systems AOA I think you're actually asking the wrong question. both methods of sensing the angle of attack are functionally equivalent to the pilot and both seem to work very well. The major difference between the CYA and the alpha systems is that the CYA only lights up one LED, which is very hard to interpret as a pilot. In other words you may be looking at one of three or four red versus yellow versus green lights but it is very difficult to tell which yellow light or which green light is lit up at a time. So it is very hard to understand where you are in your angle of attack using the CYA system. The alpha systems, lights up many LEDs at a time, so that you can easily identify where you're at in the scheme of things. It also has a much more sophisticated system of identifying whether you are at the ideal angle of attack for approach or any other angle of attack. In other words there are discrete indicators to show you at the correct angle of attack for approach, versus VY or VX. with the CYA, it's a straight line interpolation based on where you calibrate, so there's no real way of knowing whether you're at the correct angle for a approach.

On the other hand, the CYA is easier to install because it just requires effectively a telephone cord going out into the wing, versus the pneumatic type which typically require two pneumatic tubes to go out to the gauge and feedback through the wing to a sensing unit which sits behind the firewall.

Ideally the CYA unit will be upgraded to have a functional end-user display, because it's so much easier to install. Right now it's very difficult to recommend the CYA system to anybody because it's very difficult to get any sense out of it when you're also trying to look out the windscreen.

I'm looking at an AOA option for the next panel upgrade, preferring an option with a probe calculating AOA based on actual lift rather than assuming lift based on calculations with angle of incident.

05-14964.jpg

Here is a unit which is fully analog, either glare shield or panel mounted. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/cata...hb3v7P6ZJoeD0Kf69ltmBg9FcNx-77IkaAluzEALw_wcB

Explanation of the system: https://www.mountainflying.com/Pages/articles/alpha_systems_aoa.html

I have a glare shield mounted LRI in my RV6A. Works great and easy to glance at.

The only other advantage the other ones have is the audible, some of which can be sent to the audio panel.

So, it appears from the replies so far, the clear winner is my first posted selection, the (differential pressure gauge) pneumatic lift monitor for around $400. This cannot be much easier to install. The outside "sender unit" can be mounted in one of the inspection covers making drilling into the wing itself unnecessary. Then just two thin air hoses need to be run down and into the cockpit and up to the mating barbs on the gauge. There is nothing between the two to have to deal with and no electrical power or any other connection into the existing plane systems is needed. Calibration is accomplished by adjusting the angle of the receiver arm with a few flights.

My panel is full up so I'm going to use the top mounted glare shield version.

Interesting to note, the FAA is pushing for these AOA devices to be installed in GA aircraft as they are convinced it can lead to less stall-type accidents. It may turn out to be one of the most important ... and least expensive... instruments in the plane.

What a novelty that would be!

BTW: These AOA devices are nothing new with the pneumatic versions going back to the 1940's, I believe.

Last edited:
Back