Foreflight enhancement suggestion

Out of curiosity I Googled the release date of the first iPhone. The iPhone was more than a year after the date of this web capture.

Yep. Announced at Macworld Expo in January 2007, shipped on June 30th. Hence, "I thought" it was after the mobile version...

If you select your route it then gives you the option for a procedure.

Does anyone know a similar process for Foreflight on the iPhone? I've searched around, but I haven't seen a similar set of clicks for the iPhone version of Foreflight..

Kinda. Be careful with that.

Foreflight and the panel gear don’t always agree on what waypoints are in the databases, and it’ll just blow up when that happens.

Use the panel mount for IFR first. Send the changes to the iPad. Not the other way around.

Only one has the official data for navigation.

If you’re going to send from iPad to panel, actually USE that feature where the panel mount HAS to stop and ask you if you REALLY want that new flight plan. It’s not allowed to automatically accept it (the iPad can).

Just sayin. Been there done that. VMC during training. It’ll turn into one of those “what’s that thing doing now?” flight deck recordings right before the crunch if you don’t respect exactly what it’s doing. Pushing data from a non-IFR source into one.

Just be careful.
Wonder if this concern is less now that Jeppesen and Fore Flight are under the same umbrella?

Does anyone know a similar process for Foreflight on the iPhone? I've searched around, but I haven't seen a similar set of clicks for the iPhone version of Foreflight..

For the routes part of it, start with the "FLIGHTS" tab. Once you input your Origin and Destination, you can see the suggested/assigned routes below the map preview.

That bit I know how to do on iPhone.... adding a procedure at the end such as a STAR and an Approach, I'm still trying to puzzle out.

When you are using an iPhone, the procedure function is unavailable, but you can add a SID or STAR to a route in ForeFlight by manually adding it to the route. So for a route between KHEF and KRDU via GVE, using the ARSNL5 SID and SBV6 STAR, tap FPL and enter KHEF ARSNL5 GVE SBV6 KRDU. Then tap search. If a runway specification is needed, you will be prompted to enter it. In this instance the ARSNL5 is runway specific, so you answer the runway selection prompt, say 16L. Then tap Done to return t the map view. The route will now read as "KHEF 16L.ARSNL5.GVE GVE.SBV6 KRDU". There is no convenient way to enter an approach, but you can select the approach plate to overlay the route and you can use rubber band to select the approach waypoints. You can also edit the runway into the view by entering the runways designation after the airport ID, so for KRDU runway 32, edit the route to end in "KRDU.32".

Last edited:
You can add a SID or STAR to a route in ForeFlight by manually adding it to the route. So for a route between KHEF and KRDU via GVE, using the ARSNL5 SID and SBV6 STAR, tap FPL and enter KHEF ARSNL5 GVE SBV6 KRDU. Then tap search. If a runway specification is needed, you will be prompted to enter it. In this instance the ARSNL5 is runway specific, so you answer the runway selection prompt, say 16L. Then tap Done to return t the map view. The route will now read as "KHEF 16L.ARSNL5.GVE GVE.SBV6 KRDU". There is no convenient way to enter an approach, but you can select the approach plate to overlay the route and you can use rubber band to select the approach waypoints. You can also edit the runway into the view by entering the runways designation after the airport ID, so for KRDU runway 32, edit the route to end in "KRDU.32".

John, great method, but I would do it a little differently. I would just hit FPL, enter KHEF and KRDU, that's your begin and endpoint route. Then in the upper right corner, near the top, press procedure, tap departure, tap ARSNL5, tap GVE, tap the runway you want, then press add to route. For the arrival press procedure again, tap arrival, tap SBV6, tap GVE, tap add to route. Easy peasy no typos.

I like using the automation

John, great method, but I would do it a little differently. I would just hit FPL, enter KHEF and KRDU, that's your begin and endpoint route. Then in the upper right corner, near the top, press procedure, tap departure, tap ARSNL5, tap GVE, tap the runway you want, then press add to route. For the arrival press procedure again, tap arrival, tap SBV6, tap GVE, tap add to route. Easy peasy no typos.

PaulS,

I agree if you are using an iPad, but the iPhone does not have the procedure function. I was discussing how to do it using an iPhone when there isn't a procedure function available. I will edit the response to specify an iPhone.

PaulS,

I agree if you are using an iPad, but the iPhone does not have the procedure function. I was discussing how to do it using an iPhone when there isn't a procedure function available. I will edit the response to specify an iPhone.

Lol, sorry !

Back