new pilot request help

I'd be curious to hear the "final stats" for this trip: y'know: number of airports, total miles, total hours, fuel consumed, number of A&P's consulted, etc...
I wouldn't. I think they'd just make me feel inadequate.

Peter, we've lived vicariously through your adventures over the past week. Well done, and hello, from Minnesota!

Way to go @Peter Ha!

Perhaps you've found a new calling...Ferry Pilot :) With some of your adventures there could be some YouTube potential...kidding of course (mostly)

Hey folks,
I'll share more info, as I have lots of videos from this trip. Here's one 360video flying through New Mexico.

Also, does anyone know where I can purchase Scout Dual-Band ADS-B Receiver? Seems Amazon is out.

I hate you with all my hate...Nate. :mad:

Lol!! You know I’m kidding. Tucson is cool. I drove down to see the sights years and years ago when I was bored stuck in PHX babysitting a data center build.

Had an amazing steak for dinner on the company too, in revenge for trapping me in PHX that two weeks. Hahaha.

Think the place was called Little Abners? On the road somewhere between PHX and Tucson? Outdoor mesquite fire and nothing but steaks and pitchers of margaritas?

How come you skipped Tucson? I was ready.

Sorry, would of loved met you!
But locals at P33(Cochise airport) told me quicker way is thru E77, so I bypassed Tucson. :oops:

Last edited:
:cheerswine:You’re a superior pilot. You displayed superior judgment so you didn’t have to use your superior skills. Too bad I got to the party after it was over.

Hey folks,
Those interested, I mapped out all the airports I stopped. It says about 1500 miles(straight-line) but it was more like 1900 miles. It took about 1 1/2 weeks due to weather and no night flying.
There were many people I met along the way from pilots to FBO managers and locals who helped me along my journey. :)

KTKX KSRC M77 F00 0F2 KABI KBPG 7T7 KPEQ KVHN KLRU KDMN P33 E77 A39 KBXK KBLH KTRM KREI KAJO
https://imgur.com/WmUO2HK

Friends, I will share this two facts about me when I started this "me-flying-idea" a year ago:
1) I'm afraid of heights :eek: 2) I'm afraid of commercial flying.:eek:
Close friend asked why then was I taking flying lessons...?
As exciting as this trip was, there were times I felt sheer TERROR. And in those times I was reminded and inspired by this quote:
"... and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win.” ― John F. Kennedy

Last edited:
This is more common among pilots than you may think.

Yep. I can't tolerate shingling the garage roof...terrified all the time...but flying doesn't bother me a whit.

FYI the LD50 for falls is like 12 feet...logic has nothing to do with discomfort with height.

1) I'm afraid of heights :eek:

This is more common among pilots than you may think.

Yep. I can't tolerate shingling the garage roof...terrified all the time...but flying doesn't bother me a whit.

FYI the LD50 for falls is like 12 feet...logic has nothing to do with discomfort with height.

I no longer climb a ladder to put up Christmas lights. Climbing on the RV roof for seasonal maintenance is on the verge of me paying someone else to do it. Yet, my first job was a lineman ... climbing poles bothered me a little, even when I was young. Flying, on the other hand, never invokes that same feeling of height.

I'm moderately afraid of heights, and a bunch of students I've flown with were, too. Pretty common in the pilot pool.

there were times I felt sheer TERROR

Welcome to the brotherhood of aviators.

"... and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win.” ― John F. Kennedy

I have tried to live my life like this quote, not because of who said it in a speech, but because that is just who I am.

''If you don't try, you have already failed.'' I carry this in my wallet at all times, and when something comes up that I don't think I can do, or accomplish in a way that I think I should, I look at the note and carry on.

''If you don't try, you have already failed.''

:yeahthat:

When I was racing sports cars, my email sig line used to be "The lowest position in the race results is DNS." (That's "Did not start" for any who are unaware.)

Are you familiar with Amelia Earhart's poem "Courage?"
Courage is the price that Life exacts
for granting peace.
The soul that knows it not
Knows no release from little things:
Knows not the livid loneliness of fear,
Nor mountain heights where bitter
joy can hear
The sound of wings.

I think Henry Ford said, "Whether you think you can, or you cannot, you are right."

As far as heights, I'm not, even at 65. My wife, OTOH is, but flying in light planes doesn't bother her. She says it's like being suspended over a picture.

That's what's on my POH but still getting error.
Outstanding flight--Congratulations! Thanks for sharing with a bunch of us armchair aviators.

Did you ever resolve the weight and balance error?

And follow that up with, ''If you don't try, you have already failed.''
I wish that logic were sound. If it were, then I could succeed at anything simply by not trying to fail at it. If I did so, I would have already failed at failing, and thus have succeeded.

Wonder if Peter Ha was trying to do a weight and balance, did it, or failed at it. Not by not trying, of course. Or by trying not to -- I'm confused.

So if you don’t try not to do something but don’t fail not to do it anyway, did you succeed or fail?

Being 5’3”, I never tried out for the NBA, so I suppose I’m a failed pro basketball player.

Hmmmm.... Using this logic, my life has been a crushing failure considering all the things I never tried. I’m a failure as a pro football player, a physician, a plumber, an astronaut, an attorney, a television evangelist,....

Wow. The list goes on and on.

Now I’m really depressed.

Back