WA taxes on planes

MountainDude

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MountainDude
Hi all.
Will be moving to Seattle this summer and have a 1976 C182.
What taxes should I plan for?
Thank you

How long have you owned your plane? The state will generally go after you if you have had it less that five years, and have you pay "use tax", same as sales tax (around 10% in most areas).

Other than that, WA DOT will look you up for $65/year for state registration

Just bought the plane last October
You will pay sales tax for the amount that is charged by the place you bought the aircraft.
our tax on the sales is 7.7%. (here at Oak Harbor 98277) shop to see the tax rate is the lowest it goes by Zip code. they check for bill of sales too.

plus the state charges a fee for registration I think it is $65. shown on the N number.

Hi all.
Will be moving to Seattle this summer and have a 1976 C182.
What taxes should I plan for?
Thank you

Use Tax. Same rate as Sales Tax. It will be based on the value of the aircraft when you brought it into Washington. If you previously paid a Sales Tax to another State you get credit for that. If the Tax due in Washington is say $2000 and you paid $1500 on it in another state, you will pay $500.

Last edited:
You gotta register it in the state $65/year. But, its up to the state to demand the "use tax". I wouldn't go volunteering. And, if you've paid taxes based on the purchase of the aircraft already, hopefully you have documentation of that.

Thanks all. Now I need to find a hangar starting this summer.

If you are smart about it, none.

That sucks. Which airports are you waiting at?

RNT, PAE, AWO

Renton is a known 7 year waitlist but I didn't think the others would take that long. I guess in the current economy they're more in demand.

RNT, PAE, AWO

Renton is a known 7 year waitlist but I didn't think the others would take that long. I guess in the current economy they're more in demand.

Arlington isn't much better for a waitlist. S43 at Harvey has open bays for outdoor shed hangars, if you need to park it somewhere before you can get a more permanent solution. C182 is no problem getting in and out. Harvey keeps your air skills sharp! Plus a really nice grass runway in the summer. Also check out Monroe's airport.

Last edited:
Arlington isn't much better for a waitlist. S43 at Harvey has open bays for outdoor shed hangars, if you need to park it somewhere before you can get a more permanent solution. C182 is no problem getting in and out. Harvey keeps your air skills sharp! Plus a really nice grass runway in the summer.
Home town is Bellingham :)

Last edited:
Oh great. I guess there is no sense of personal responsibility now that the rest of us have to pick up your bill.

Lol, I remember when I thought the same about taxes, but I also believed in Santa at one time too.

Back