What size device do you use for your EFB?

What size device do you use for your EFB? (in a typical single engine C172, PA28, etc.)

• phone

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • mini.... approx 8 inch, like ipad mini size

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • "standard" tablet size...approx 10 inch size

Votes: 21 33.9%
  • Large...like the larger tablets, approx 12 inch

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters

Brad W

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
BLW2
also interested in your comments about your preferred mount...
hand held, kneeboard, yoke mount, etc...

I'm just wondering....from the perspective of an old school paper chart guy. Seemed like I was always juggling "stuff" in the cockpit trying to find ways of not blocking the panel or the view out.

I've been playing with garmin pilot on my phone, but the screen size is just too small for my old eyes....

I use my phone but I’m thinking I’ll upgrade to a bigger phone.

The iPad mini size I think is the perfect balance if you have a tablet. That’s what I used for a while.

- iPad mini
- Ram yoke mount
- Foreflight on iPad and iPhone X (for back up)

*This mini was mounted in my Sundowner. Same mount for my Commander.
ipad mini.JPG

Last edited:
iPad Pro 10.5" and it rests on my left thigh. The "kneeboard" with paper and pen is strapped to my right thigh; I'm right handed.

Wayne

In a pa28 at least, there's just not room for anything bigger than the 'mini' size. I have an android tablet that size that fits just nicely in the middle of the yoke using a clamp mount. I experimented with a lot of different mounting options, and this is the only one that didn't block instruments or controls. I'd love to have a bigger screen, but it just wouldn't fit in the little airplanes I fly.

Eta: I started with the kneeboard mount, but the yoke hits my thighs with nothing on them, so it didn't feel safe. Im a big guy in a little plane, so ymmv.

I use an Ipad 3. Maybe it is a 4, not sure. I just rest it on my leg. I don't like yoke mounts and couldn't find a workable panel mount solution.

iPad mini 4. Even this size (yoke mounted) obscures part of the panel :( No way to mount it via suction cups on window without obscuring view of something.

I keep the ipad mini 4 on the floor (or the passenger seat when flying alone) and the iphone on my lap. Since I rent, I can't really put in a permanent mount, as much as I wish I could. I have temporary yoke mounts, but I don't like the way they block the panel.

I was not happy with any of the mounts. They blocked the panel way too much. So I designed a yoke clip and 3D printed. It took a few iterations, but it fits perfectly now. It mounts my 8-inch Samsung tablet to the Cessna yoke. It doesn't block anything because it lays on the front face of the yoke.

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4”. Big enough to see, small enough that I could yoke mount or leave on kneeboard. 10” tablets are too big for that in my experience, I don’t even like reading books on them.

Galaxy Tab S2 8", RAM mount on yoke. Works ok, but obscures view of some switches...have to duck down a bit to make sure I've got the right one. Still prefered paper charts and A/FD that I could hold wherever I needed to see them best at any given moment depending upon lighting and size of detail I was trying to see over the tablet in a fixed position and having to carefully touch and/or pinch zoom. However, the increased access to adsb-in info, chart updates, and moving map sure are great.

Galaxy Tab S2 8". Love it, screen is bright and clear even in direct sunlight. I was using Avare, not have it loaded with iFly since that's the GPS we have mounted on the panel.

iPad mini in a kneeboard. I have a clipboard and paper on the cover flap, so it’s easy to write notes (hate trying to write notes on the screen). I’m renting, so the kneeboard is convenient. I’ll come up with a better mount when I buy a plane. I would much prefer having a more heads-up location.

The kneeboard does get in the way sometimes. I’m flying a Cherokee and have the seat all the way forward. It’s easy enough to move it to the passenger seat or hand it to my passenger when it’s in the way, though.

iPad Pro 11, ram mount (panel on the experimentals, yoke on the PA-28).

I think the mini is the best size, fits in the map pockets or mounts easier than any other tablet.

I also prefer it for non-aviation purposes too, just fits more comfortably in the hand.

Samsung Galaxy fold. It's the GOAT cell phone and the GOAT EFB.

Mini with RAM cradle, medium arm, and RAM suction cup base.

I move around to different planes a lot. I really like their suction cups.

I use my iPhone 8. I put industrial sticky Velcro on the back and a matching piece at the top of my panel so it is just under my line of sight. This way I don’t have to look down at all to see traffic, airport data, or navigation. Plus it gives me a quick AGL measurement for calculating glide range in case of an emergency.

I currently use a Mini/8 inch. It's a convenient and useful size in multiple aircraft types. But before that I used the 9.7 inch units and had no problem with those. Next time around, who knows? We are starting to see more phablets and one unit instead of two (except as a backup) seems an attractive option.

iPad mini 4 aligned vertically in a Ram mount, attached to the center bar in the bonanza. This seems to be a good size tradeoff with the bigger iPads. It does block some non essential stuff on the panel, but that's easily overcome by leaning forward. The location lets my copilot see the larger moving map as I tend to have other data on the 430. We tried putting it between the yoke horns as others have shown above, and it works great, but its harder to see from the other seat.

IPad Air 2 on a Warner mount. Right at eye level so no need to look down. iPhone 8 as a back up.

Back