Are You Too Old To Become A Pilot?

easik

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
easik
I recently met a student pilot in his 50s at the Sling Pilot Academy. I did a short video interview below. At first I thought he was just there to get a private pilot license. But he says he plans to go all the way to become a commercial pilot and work for the airlines. My initial reaction was no way! not at 50. But he's really doing it. So it begs the question; Are You Ever Too Old To Become A Pilot?

Good for him. I hope he has a long enough career to make back the training expense. I mean this sincerely.

Personally, I think it’s a bad idea or I’d be doing it myself. The cost for a career that isn’t likely to be worth it financially in the long run. One health issue and all that effort and money is gone, which is a lot more likely at 50 than it is at 30.

No one is too old who already has lots of money. One of the regular participants here changed careers late in life and is having a ball flying for somebody. That said, he already had his multi and financial independence.

If the fellow is going in expecting to earn back all the money he's spent on his ratings, no way. I don't think its possible to earn that much money in 14 years and still have enough to live on.

There are many types of pilots, but I'm assuming you mean "airline pilot". Like others have said, it depends on financials. This guy is retired military, so he has a steady stream of benefits coming to him for life at this point. Plus the GI bill will cover a good portion of his flight training(maybe?). So potentially he could CFI for $20k, and still have a chunk of benefit money coming every month, then regionals for $50k or whatever. Without debt and supplemental bennies coming in, probably not too bad.

So if you go the money, sure, 50 is not too old. If you got a family, debt, and bills, probably not a wise move to start that journey from scratch.

Mike, I'm not too far behind that guy and I'm all in on going for it as well. Financially it can certainly work out if you are smart about it. It can work out really well if you are smart AND lucky. But the truth is at this stage in life, it is really more about knowing that you took the shot in perusing a dream rather than living with regret of not having tried.

I appreciate where you're coming from, but someone buy that guy a beer. Good luck to him. You could get run over tomorrow. Chase your dreams, kid.
I’ll buy him a beer. I thought my post was clear that I support his effort.

If you've got your financial ducks in a row, why not?
This.

At 51, making serious money as an airline pilot before hitting the mandatory retirement age is a crapshoot; but if he's healthy, flying is a passion and he can live on his military retirement, he should go for it. I'll be 78 this year and don't plan on quitting anytime soon.

If nothing else, having the Commercial could be a retirement income idea and not all that expensive (relatively) to get. Get paid to fly pipeline or mail, banner tow, etc., not going to be enough to retire on, but might be good for supplemental later in life.

If nothing else, having the Commercial could be a retirement income idea and not all that expensive (relatively) to get. Get paid to fly pipeline or mail, banner tow, etc., not going to be enough to retire on, but might be good for supplemental later in life.
Now that I agree with. My plan is to do instruction for fun and spare income.

Well not too old if you’re less that 65 (121). it’s really about if one can do it mentally. I know a couple of guys that tried the airline route in their 50s and didn’t make it past the sim session. Trying to absorb all that information and make rapid decisions at that age is a whole different story vs the young Embry Riddle grad you’re up against. It can be done, just need to be realistic about the challenges involved.

Good for him. I hope he has a long enough career to make back the training expense. I mean this sincerely.

Personally, I think it’s a bad idea or I’d be doing it myself. The cost for a career that isn’t likely to be worth it financially in the long run. One health issue and all that effort and money is gone, which is a lot more likely at 50 than it is at 30.
Even if he has a short career professionally for about 15 years I think he'll make all that money back and then some.

Good luck to him, not sure he will recoup the money invested.

Excellent. I've been contemplating the same but haven't pulled thr trigger. Would need about 18-24 months to get the hours if I keep the day job too.
Mike, I'm not too far behind that guy and I'm all in on going for it as well. Financially it can certainly work out if you are smart about it. It can work out really well if you are smart AND lucky. But the truth is at this stage in life, it is really more about knowing that you took the shot in perusing a dream rather than living with regret of not having tried.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Wow! 1500 hours in 18 months while working a full time job? That’s almost 100 hours a month of flight time alone on top of a full time job? Wow! There might also need to be a little time thrown in there to study for and pass written tests. Honestly, I think you would have to be fully funded with no job or outside interests to get there in 18 or even 24 months.

if you're responding to me, I'm not starting at zero. It would be difficult but doable with the day job.
Wow! 1500 hours in 18 months while working a full time job? That’s almost 100 hours a month of flight time alone on top of a full time job? Wow! There might also need to be a little time thrown in there to study for and pass written tests. Honestly, I think you would have to be fully funded with no job or outside interests to get there in 18 or even 24 months.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

It depends on how far you want to go. A regional? Definitely yes, likely even upgrade to captain. A major? Quite possible, but perhaps too old to Captain a mainline airliner. Not because he is incompetent due to age, but rather required seniority may get the better of him. It is possible, but not sure how likely.

I met a guy at a Mooney event in May of 2017. It was a day at minimums and was the only one that flew in. Very impressive flying. As I got to know him I learned that he was in his mid forties and was trying to get with American. One year later I saw him at the same event and asked him how his pursuit was going. He was an employee of American, the regional I’m sure, and was in training.

For years the larger flight schools taunted a pilot shortage trying to sign up students, That shortage apparently has finally materialized and might work in the favor of the OP. All the best wishes with it. It can be made to work.

Sorry, I interpreted it as lukewarm.
Personally, I think base jumping is a bad idea, but I support someone that wants to do it, if they really have the passion into do it.

I suspect for me I’d lose the passion if I had to work for some company on their terms to make a living.

I got my private at 62. Some people have worn their bodies out by that age. We’re all different.
Precisely. Chronological age is a very poor indicator of physical or mental age. I am in Aspen CO at the moment and a local businessman, Klaus Obermeyer, just turned 100 and is still skiing ans swimming regularly.

Not only possible but probable. Have witnessed it any number of times.

I recently met a student pilot in his 50s at the Sling Pilot Academy. I did a short video interview below. At first I thought he was just there to get a private pilot license. But he says he plans to go all the way to become a commercial pilot and work for the airlines. My initial reaction was no way! not at 50. But he's really doing it. So it begs the question; Are You Ever Too Old To Become A Pilot?

Doing the same thing at 65. I can’t work for airlines, but possibly charter / corporate. Done with instrument; working on Commercial.

Several were mid-50s in my class; they’ll probably upgrade with me in a few months. The pay more than makes up for the costs of their ratings.

Three cheers for Drew! After he finishes with the airlines, his third career should be as a camera operator. Then if he films someone on their first solo I'm sure he will get the shots of him exiting the plane, being congratulated by his instructor, and having his shirt tail cut off.

Too old to learn to be a pilot, which is the thread title, is very different from becoming a pilot to earn money. Most licensed pilots never became so to make money. I have a commercial rating but just got this for the challenge and would never have done so to make very little money flying pays. Learning to fly late in life to make money is very doubtful but learning to fly safely at age 80 or 90+ is something life changing.

Back