• No

Votes: 98 82.4%

• Total voters

skier

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Skier
There was a recent thread that got me thinking.

How come whenever someone brings up a questionable topic they are automatically labeled a troll? I do see that the OP’s account doesn’t exist anymore...
Anyways, I’ve noticed that a lot here that if someone has a differing opinion or makes a comment that goes against the grain they are automatically banished to troll-land.

So, is anyone here brave enough to admit to having trolled the board?
@SixPapaCharlie @TooHonest @Ted DuPuis @timwinters @Tom-D @denverpilot @bbchien

Since I'm inviting bbchien to this discussion, can my friend be denied a medical for being a troll?

What better place for this than "Lessons Learned"?

I don't think it will bother Dr. Chien.
He has thicker skin than that.

Who needs to troll this board? True life stories are enough to set folks off....

I have to say that my favorite of all the trolls we ever had was Lady Malibu for those that remember...

yoursign.jpg

2a : to antagonize (others) online by deliberately posting inflammatory, irrelevant, or offensive comments or other disruptive content … trolls engage in the most outrageous and offensive behaviors possible—all the better to troll you with.— Whitney Phillips
b : to act as a troll (see troll entry 3 sense 2) on (a forum, site, etc.) … is also notorious, for trolling message boards on the Internet, posting offensive material he himself has written and then suing anyone who responds in agreement.— Mark Hemingway
c : to harass, criticize, or antagonize (someone) especially by provocatively disparaging or mocking public statements, postings, or acts The switch came after the Chargers became the butt of jokes, memes and derision on social media. The NFL tweeted the initial logo Thursday, but later deleted it as the Chargers even got trolled by other pro and college sports teams over the logo that looked like a cross between baseball's Dodgers and hockey's Lightning.— Arnie Stapleton But [Niki] Caro told The Los Angeles Times this week that there might be music after all. Caro said she got trolled by fans because of the rumor of a lack of music.— Herb Scribner The club has been trolled in a brutal (and somewhat brilliant) manner—by having a giant poster of Tevez scoring his last-day winner plastered outside their Bramall Lane ground.— Will Magee

2a : to antagonize (others) online by deliberately posting inflammatory, irrelevant, or offensive comments or other disruptive content … trolls engage in the most outrageous and offensive behaviors possible—all the better to troll you with.— Whitney Phillips

Oh god, we're all trolls.

(Do you think that person meant 'irreverent' instead?)

Some of the troll postings are most interesting. The discussion that ensues is always a fun read.

I find it amusing that people get so worked up over troll posts. The fact that they don't get to me is partly why I don't feel compelled to do it myself. Plus, there are enough honest opinions I express that get people worked up that I don't see a need to step up the game and do it intentionally.

Some of the troll postings are most interesting. The discussion that ensues is always a fun read.
......especially those who reply clueless to the fact they’re being obviously trolled.

......especially those who reply clueless to the fact they’re being obviously trolled.
There are several long-time members who seem to seriously participate in the board, but when they start a thread it's almost always on a stupid controversial topic from the perspective of playing dumb. Ninja trolling.

...while others have the sensitivity on their troll meters set way too high, which has a tendency to drive away newcomers.

The way I look at it, if I find a discussion interesting, the possibility of being trolled doesn't matter to me one bit.

Me? troll? Har!

(Only a select few who deserve it. Otherwise those who I'd tend to troll are on ignore.)

There are several long-time members who seem to seriously participate in the board, but when they start a thread it's almost always on a stupid controversial topic from the perspective of playing dumb. Ninja trolling.

“Thinking about trolling...” :)

If it's Tom...then yes. I got banned once for trolling the biggest troll here, didn't even refer to him or mention his name in the process either!
He wasn’t the troll - you were, that’s why you got banned.

No, unless you count the thread I started many years ago questioning if getting your tailwheel endorsement would make you a better pilot if you were not planning on flying an airplane with conventional gear. 477 posts later, the consensus was that we were never going to come to a consensus.

b : to act as a troll (see troll entry 3 sense 2) on (a forum, site, etc.) … is also notorious, for trolling message boards on the Internet, posting offensive material he himself has written and then suing anyone who responds in agreement.— Mark Hemingway

c : to harass, criticize, or antagonize (someone) especially by provocatively disparaging or mocking public statements, postings, or acts The switch came after the Chargers became the butt of jokes, memes and derision on social media. The NFL tweeted the initial logo Thursday, but later deleted it as the Chargers even got trolled by other pro and college sports teams over the logo that looked like a cross between baseball's Dodgers and hockey's Lightning.— Arnie Stapleton But [Niki] Caro told The Los Angeles Times this week that there might be music after all. Caro said she got trolled by fans because of the rumor of a lack of music.— Herb Scribner The club has been trolled in a brutal (and somewhat brilliant) manner—by having a giant poster of Tevez scoring his last-day winner plastered outside their Bramall Lane ground.— Will Magee[/QUOTE

And as a result, getting back to what I believe the spirit of this post was......

The infinitive,,,,TO TROLL:

To deploy a line and lure combination (as from the rear of a slowly moving boat), the nature of such lure being emotional and deliberately aimed at the recipient, with the ultimate objective being to trap, hook, engage, bait, entice, prompt, or otherwise stimulate, said targeted audience to to reply with an impassioned response. Not necessarily a rational or measured response, rather a primal howl, suffused preferentially with clear evidence of penetration of the existential core of the target. Conceding the threat and thus rewarding the troll instigator with a perceived victory as well as recognition. This tactic employed by non-productive and crass provocateurs cheapens the entire forum and in fact derails any effort to learn and improve and innovate. In effect it is a sabotage, an act of terrorism against honest members of the forum who have no time to waste.

It is : Ein Grossenberg von Hundescheise.
May the fleas of one thousand camels infest the eyes of all troll’s first born sons.

I smell a troll when said crazy topic is the first by a new poster who has but one post. I blew it recently, a guy wanted to rent someones airplane and fly around the world. He was serious, and I was wrong.

I was close to trolling the hell out of this forum. I took a year off instead. If people want to blow up over something I post, that's good enough for me. No trolling needed.

Used to be really bad

Who remembers, Hacky, Hockey, Brown Couch, "I fly a heavy airplane", "DPE failed me for filming the checkride"... It was rampant for awhile.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back