Garmin Database Updating Problems

MBDiagMan

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Doc
My 430W memory cards got a few months out of date and I went to my son in laws office today to update them. It updated the terrain card okay. When trying to update the navigation card it kept insisting on doing the terrain card again. I finally had to give up and give my son in laws employee his computer back. It is the only one with the card adapter. My subscription expires Jan 30. Maybe that is the problem. Very frustrating. It’s not as if this is a trivial fee for these updates.

Any ideas from those of you who deal with these updates often?

Which subscription are you using? Garmin or Jeppesen? They use different card adapters. When you update with either Garmin or Jeppesen, you will normally be asked what update to apply (nav, terrain, obstacle). In addition, the nav and terrain cards are not interchangeable.

If you have a current subscription you should be able to install it if you have not done so already. The Garmin subscriptions are keyed to a particular unit. The Jeppesen subscription only allows you to write out a file once.

That’s helpful information Geek! I have the correct adapter because I have used the exact same setup for upgrading before.

I use Garmin and was wanting to use my cards in a different plane so from what you wrote, even if I get them updated they won’t work in the other plane.

From your response Geek, am I to understand that if I use Jeppeson, the database is not keyed to the unit and I can move it back and forth between planes tha both have 430 W’s.

I still don’t understand. If the file is written to a memory card, can that memory card go back and forth between one 430 and another. I am only capable of flying one plane at a time.

Thanks for the response?

I still don’t understand. If the file is written to a memory card, can that memory card go back and forth between one 430 and another. I am only capable of flying one plane at a time.

Thanks for the response?
Now I understand you. Seems logical, but I don’t know if true. The gps doesn't generally read off the card except to load the data internally.

From your response Geek, am I to understand that if I use Jeppeson, the database is not keyed to the unit and I can move it back and forth between planes tha both have 430 W’s.

I haven't tried this as I have only one GNS-430W. Garmin requires my unit serial number to download the data. Jeppesen did not require that, but would limit me to one file write operation.

Yes, you can move the database card from one unit to another....at least with the Jeppesen updates. I have a 530W and 430W, but only purchase a subscription for one unit. Each update cycle, I pull the latest expired card out and install it in my 430, then update the other card and install in my 530W. My 530W has the current data, my 430W is one cycle out of date.

Out of curiosity, has anyone attempted to renew/purchase a new database subscription through Jeppesen lately? It looks like they've changed their website and now I can't find where to select the database options.

Thanks for the response?

I've loaned my 530w data card with Garmin NavData to a friend to use while he was waiting for his new replacement to arrive in the mail. No problems. So the card is not linked to any one unit.

Based on the way the data upload goes I believe that the Garmin data is linked to the serial number of the card to which a particular month's download was made. That month's data may be re-downloaded to that card as many times as you want, but not to a different card.

Out of curiosity, has anyone attempted to renew/purchase a new database subscription through Jeppesen lately? It looks like they've changed their website and now I can't find where to select the database options.

Ended up calling customer support today. Apparently, with the Boeing purchase, they are moving to a new website and new database purchases aren’t currently supported. Functionality will be enabled at a later date.

It also appears they too will be enabling serialized database cards that won’t allow you to transfer cards to other units. Might be a good time for me to sell off my 430W/530W for a single 750xi and a separate NAV/COM.

That month's data may be re-downloaded to that card as many times as you want, but not to a different card.

That actually makes more sense. I briefly looked at how to get the serial number from the card instead of the unit. If it’s tied to the card and not the unit, then I can’t see how they could restrict you from moving the cards to different units? Of course the data stays on the card, so it’s not like you’re uploading the new data to every unit you plug it in to. I’m starting to feel better about this...

By the way, Boeing bought Jeppesen almost 20 years ago. But the name change to Boeing Global Services is only few years old.

I had a hiccup with my updates recently, it may be me. If all fails, I may try bringing my card to the Garmin booth at Oshkosh, see what they say.

D6978B94-B643-480B-A09F-AFAECFCB0A41.jpeg Was your hiccup anything like this?

This was after presumedly updating both cards using Garmin data.

I clearly updated the left slot Navigation card, but it continually gives me a “No data cards found” when trying to update Obstacle data on right slot card.

Last edited:
I was having problems with my 530 nav updates. Nothing a $250.00 new card couldn’t solve. That was a few months ago and now my 430 card is acting up. Guess Garmin gets another $250 out of me.

I was having problems with my 530 nav updates. Nothing a $250.00 new card couldn’t solve. That was a few months ago and now my 430 card is acting up. Guess Garmin gets another $250 out of me.
Yep. This "special card" thing is a real drag after you spend what? 15 grand on a box. They make great stuff but sticking it to you like this really leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

Yep. This "special card" thing is a real drag after you spend what? 15 grand on a box. They make great stuff but sticking it to you like this really leaves a bad taste in your mouth.
Remember that you're talking about 1990s technology. As others have mentioned, off-the-shelf SD cards didn't have that kind of capacity back during the Clinton administration. If you buy a Google device first released in this century (like a GTN), you'll find that it uses a standard SD card.

Remember that you're talking about 1990s technology. As others have mentioned, off-the-shelf SD cards didn't have that kind of capacity back during the Clinton administration. If you buy a Google device first released in this century (like a GTN), you'll find that it uses a standard SD card.
I do have a GTN and I discovered a hack that lets me use a $7 SD card to update the databases. Garmin wanted $90 for the same card. The new GTN750xi downloads the databases from the card to internal memory so the special card is not required.

Called Garmin Support. They said the card is corrupted. I must have removed it while it was in the update process. I didn’t think I did that, but oh well.

Its pathetic that they don’t have a way to reformat the card.

The new GTN750xi downloads the databases from the card to internal memory so the special card is not required.
That's great. With my GTN 650, I think terrain stays on the card (but am not sure). The unit came with two, and I have not had any problems yet (if I did, I'd probably replace with a $30–50 high-end SD card — the quality photographers and videographers use — rather than a bargain-basement $7 card).

That's great. With my GTN 650, I think terrain stays on the card (but am not sure). The unit came with two, and I have not had any problems yet (if I did, I'd probably replace with a $30–50 high-end SD card — the quality photographers and videographers use — rather than a bargain-basement $7 card).
From what Garmin tech support told me, the xi series keeps everything in internal memory so you don't even need a card in place to get all the databases. I am not sure but I think the non xi series requires the card for full functionality.

From what Garmin tech support told me, the xi series keeps everything in internal memory so you don't even need a card in place to get all the databases. I am not sure but I think the non xi series requires the card for full functionality.
And how do you like the display on the xi? I've heard from others that it's pretty stunning (showing up the decent-but-older GTNs and IFDs for the decade-year-old tech that they are now).

And how do you like the display on the xi? I've heard from others that it's pretty stunning (showing up the decent-but-older GTNs and IFDs for the decade-year-old tech that they are now).
I really have no reference to compare to. I have the 750xi next to a 530W and that comparison is very obvious. The xi has way better resolution, intensity and of course the graphics are like night and day.

The xi is totally readable in direct sunlight at a glance. I also have two GI-275's and I would say that the displays on those are comparable to the 750xi.

Back