Garmin's answer to Aspen Pro

Betmerick

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Betmerick
Does Garmin have something that is comparable to the Aspen other than a pair of G5's? I want the Garmin 500 autopilot and the Aspen is not compatible. Currently have the STec 50 but want vertical preselect.

Does Garmin have something that is comparable to the Aspen other than a pair of G5's? I want the Garmin 500 autopilot and the Aspen is not compatible. Currently have the STec 50 but want vertical preselect.

In my opinion, a pair of the newly announced GI 275's, or a 7" vertically mounted G3X touch. From a pricing perspective I think the GI 275's would be closer.

Nope. You want a GFC500 then Aspen isn't gonna do it.

As a note, the GI 275 doesn't yet support the GFC 500, but according to their docs, it will be "later in 2020" whatever that means. It is something that I am looking at personally.

As others have said their answer is the G3X in either 7" or 10" presentation. It's tough to dispute the GFC-500 as the best retrofit A/P available for single engine GA retrofit.

Last edited:
Based on what you have, upgrading to the STEC 3100 seems like the best solution. They have an awesome upgrade deal for STEC 50 users and it works well with the Aspen. Gives you the preselect you desire and everything else.
#lovemy3100 :)

Based on what you have, upgrading to the STEC 3100 seems like the best solution. They have an awesome upgrade deal for STEC 50 users and it works well with the Aspen. Gives you the preselect you desire and everything else.

Radar has a good point. My Av shop said there is a great deal upgrading to the 3100, like 2 years warranty for old servos, etc. Worth a look.

Of course it would depend on if the OP's aircraft is in the STC for the 3100. There are still quite a few aircraft that aren't like Cessna 172's and Piper PA-28's.

G3x all the way.

The STEC 3100 costs significantly more than the GFC500.

If you stick with the E5, no vacuum gyros required for backup, even IFR. Not sure how they got that approved for their STC, but they did. Upgrade and you’re back to needing backups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back