rusty pilot - 3rd class med or basic med?

Brad W

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
BLW2
I'm wondering what the general consensus is regarding basic med for someone in decent health.

As a rusty pilot, my last class 3 was issued March 2006
so, I'm pretty sure I could go down the "basic med" route as I get back into things. I've already taken the little online course AOPA has out there but haven't gone so far as to looking at the paperwork side of things, getting a doc to sign, etc...

but I keep thinking it might be easier just to go in for a new class 3 medical...although arguably a bit riskier I suppose if some red flag sneaks in...
But thinking back to when I used to keep my medical always current, I always hated the question where you had to list "all" of the dr visits since my last medical. Is that question still on it?
at this point there's no way I could do that.....I know they are only interested in certain things, but how to ferret out what those things are?

I'm wondering what the general consensus is regarding basic med for someone in decent health.

As a rusty pilot, my last class 3 was issued March 2006
so, I'm pretty sure I could go down the "basic med" route as I get back into things. I've already taken the little online course AOPA has out there but haven't gone so far as to looking at the paperwork side of things, getting a doc to sign, etc...

but I keep thinking it might be easier just to go in for a new class 3 medical...although arguably a bit riskier I suppose if some red flag sneaks in...
But thinking back to when I used to keep my medical always current, I always hated the question where you had to list "all" of the dr visits since my last medical. Is that question still on it?
at this point there's no way I could do that.....I know they are only interested in certain things, but how to ferret out what those things are?
Yes. Item 19 asks "Have you visited any health professionals within the last 3 years?" That applies to the BasicMed CMEC as well. as it essentially uses the same form.

Use your insurance provider's online portal to look up past medical visits. That's what I do.

Another issue to consider is whether the reduction of privileges will bother you.

Aircraft Requirements
  • Any aircraft authorized under federal law to carry not more than 6 occupants
  • Has a maximum certificated takeoff weight of not more than 6,000 pounds
Operating Requirements
  • Carries not more than five passengers
  • Operates under VFR or IFR, within the United States, at less than 18,000 feet MSL, not exceeding 250 knots.
  • Flight not operated for compensation or hire
https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/basic_med/

Another issue to consider is whether the reduction of privileges will bother you.

Aircraft Requirements
  • Any aircraft authorized under federal law to carry not more than 6 occupants
  • Has a maximum certificated takeoff weight of not more than 6,000 pounds
Operating Requirements
  • Carries not more than five passengers
  • Operates under VFR or IFR, within the United States, at less than 18,000 feet MSL, not exceeding 250 knots.
  • Flight not operated for compensation or hire
https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/basic_med/

If you’re okay with this, then to me it’s a no brainer. But if you want to say, fly to Alaska and overfly Canada, I’m assuming you’d need the 3rd?

If you’re okay with this, then to me it’s a no brainer. But if you want to say, fly to Alaska and overfly Canada, I’m assuming you’d need the 3rd?
That's the way I understand it. When I fly near the Canadian border, I'm careful not to cross over.

Both Mexico and the Bahamas recognize Basic Med now, but Canada doesn't. Yet. I suspect that will change eventually. Mexico just came on line a few months ago.

Yes, you do have to create a list of doctor visits within the last 3 years, but it only goes to your examining physician, not to the FAA. No real risk of the list raising a red flag that could kill your medical, and not any real risk if you accidentally forget something. Furthermore, if you forgot something years ago, there's no disclosure or correction necessary as your old medical has expired and the FAA can't cancel an already expired medical.

Basic Med mostly gets the FAA out of the way. They don't get any of your medical records, not even the results of the exam. You receive a signed from from the doctor that you keep in your logbook; it does not go to the FAA.

If you plan to fly a typical small GA plane in the US, the Bahamas, and Mexico, there's not really much reason not to use Basic Med.

side question...
For those of you doing basic med, have you gone to your regular GP family doc, or to an FAA med examiner for the paperwork?
I was just thinking they would be familiar with it and it might grease things along....if they don't get too hung up on some detail or another.
I don't have any red flags I'm overly nervous about, but it is a long history of stuff and I wonder what might be a snag.....

and going to my regular doc....he wouldn't necessarily be familiar, would have to read through it, etc... seems like it could take a while and slow him down....

side question...
For those of you doing basic med, have you gone to your regular GP family doc, or to an FAA med examiner for the paperwork?
I was just thinking they would be familiar with it and it might grease things along....if they don't get too hung up on some detail or another.
I don't have any red flags I'm overly nervous about, but it is a long history of stuff and I wonder what might be a snag.....

and going to my regular doc....he wouldn't necessarily be familiar, would have to read through it, etc... seems like it could take a while and slow him down....
I go to my PCP since I was doing an annual physical anyway. No fuss.

side question...

I think it's an absolute no-brainer to start with your PCP since they know you, and the form should cover the basics on an annual exam... with a bonus discussion and chuckle about the non-digital anus condition question.

Sadly, mine reacted as though I was bringing her a hot lump of kryptonite and asking her to gargle it. I changed PCPs and will re-attempt with my current one at next annual exam.

side question...

PCP would be best and mine said he'd have no problem with it, but I couldn't get an appointment soon enough. I ended up going to a walk-in clinic that did DOT physicals. The doc's wife was a pilot and he knew all about Basic Med, so it was all quick and easy with no concerns about signing the form.

I started with my PCP, but when I read more carefully what needed to be tested, I realized that he was not going to be able to do some of it. Specifically, the color vision and fusion testing. He later confirmed that he would not have been able to do it. I had the option of going to an ophthalmologist for the vision testing, but ended up going to an AME instead. Next time around I might go the PCP + ophthalmologist route.

Some AMEs are willing to do Basic Med, others aren't. So that's another reason going to an AME might not be someone's best option, even though I agree that being familiar with the specific testing needed, an AME would be the ideal choice.

My PCP gave me my BasicMed CMEC physical. He's a pilot and has been treating me for decades, so he knows the state of my health better than anyone else.

I finally got around to visiting my doc with the form. He was not familiar and was basically a bit annoyed by it.
"They want me to check these things but give him zero guidelines re what is acceptable."
...I joked, yeah... vision, you're legally blind. Check!
He was comparing to DOT physicals, where they have certain requirements for blood pressure limits, etc...
I can see his point, it's kinda silly.

Basic Med is fine if you are flying domestically only below FL180, which is many of us. Your PCP likely knows more about your health status than your AME, and may be easier to schedule. I do my BasicMed exam in concert with an annual physical. Easy-peasy. And insurance pays for it! The aeromedical training quiz is actually pretty informative. BadicMed is a good deal.

I finally got around to visiting my doc with the form. He was not familiar and was basically a bit annoyed by it.
"They want me to check these things but give him zero guidelines re what is acceptable."
...I joked, yeah... vision, you're legally blind. Check!
He was comparing to DOT physicals, where they have certain requirements for blood pressure limits, etc...
I can see his point, it's kinda silly.
If there were standards, it would just be another class of medical. By definition, the standard of BasicMed is that a state licensed physician determines that you have no medical condition that would prevent you from safely operating an aircraft. If a physician is unable to apply his or her clinical judgement to make that determination, you need to find another doc.

I must have missed something. OP states last 3rd class in 2006. I thought you needed a good medical with in the last 10 years.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Must have held a valid medical after July 15, 2006 and that medical was not cancelled later denied, etc. you could have gotten a medical in July 2004 and still be in.

it’s not a 10 year look back, it’s 10 years before basicmed was passed.

I must have missed something. OP states last 3rd class in 2006. I thought you needed a good medical with in the last 10 years.

You just missed reading :D

You "thought" you needed a good medical within the last 10 years.

The "written text" of the rule says, "At any point after July 14, 2006, have held a medical certificate issued under part 67 of this chapter;"

If there were standards, it would just be another class of medical. By definition, the standard of BasicMed is that a state licensed physician determines that you have no medical condition that would prevent you from safely operating an aircraft. If a physician is unable to apply his or her clinical judgement to make that determination, you need to find another doc.
I wouldn't be that harsh. A physician with no knowledge of flying and the aptitude and skills it involves might feel ill-equipped to make that determination without some guidance. I prefer that self-assessment far more than media reporters who think every small airplane is a Cessna with a flux capacitor.

I sent my PCP some basic material in advance.

Essentially, Basic Med is self-certification by the pilot, but the process is set up to ensure that the pilot makes an informed decision. The completed exam checklist, and the physician's signed declaration, go to the pilot, not to the FAA.

that you have no medical condition that would prevent you from safely operating an aircraft.
yes...but his point is how is he supposed to know. Again, the jok I made to him about vision
there's just a check box stating he "checked" my vision.
he checked, but yes I'm legally blind. Ok, fair enough...most folks would agree that would prevent safe operation... what about 20/30 vision? 20/50? how does he know....

If there were standards, it would just be another class of medical.
yeah, and so why bother the doc with it at all then?

yes...but his point is how is he supposed to know. Again, the jok I made to him about vision
there's just a check box stating he "checked" my vision.
he checked, but yes I'm legally blind. Ok, fair enough...most folks would agree that would prevent safe operation... what about 20/30 vision? 20/50? how does he know....

yeah, and so why bother the doc with it at all then?
When you self-assess your fitness for flight, what standards do you apply? Don't think of BasicMed as a fourth-class medical certificate, but instead an every-four-years second opinion from a licensed physician on your general health as it pertains to being able to safely fly a light aircraft. Docs do this all of the time when they release patients to drive a car or operate heavy machinery. The difference is that flying adds a third dimension that adds special challenges. If a doc is not comfortable making that call because they are not familiar at all with those challenges, that's okay...there are others who are, or who are willing to educate themselves.

When you self-assess your fitness for flight, what standards do you apply? Don't think of BasicMed as a fourth-class medical certificate, but instead an every-four-years second opinion from a licensed physician on your general health as it pertains to being able to safely fly a light aircraft. Docs do this all of the time when they release patients to drive a car or operate heavy machinery. The difference is that flying adds a third dimension that adds special challenges. If a doc is not comfortable making that call because they are not familiar at all with those challenges, that's okay...there are others who are, or who are willing to educate themselves.

Exactly!

The doctor's declaration simply says, "I certify that I am not aware of any medical condition that, as presently treated, could interfere with the individual's ability to safely operate an aircraft." Beyond that, it's up to the pilot to make the call.

(I do wish they'd fix that darn split infinitive, though....)

You just missed reading :D

You "thought" you needed a good medical within the last 10 years.

The "written text" of the rule says, "At any point after July 14, 2006, have held a medical certificate issued under part 67 of this chapter;"
Thanks for clearing that up, I did indeed think it was a rolling 10 year window.

With the Basicmed, you can't ride in the FAA's hypoxia simulator.

Reading the thread, I get the impression that people make the mistake of expecting Congressional legislation to be logical! ;)

With the Basicmed, you can't ride in the FAA's hypoxia simulator.
interesting..... I already did that years ago. Rode in the one at Langley AFB. That was a great class...glad I did it.

I was wondering if they still offered that to private pilots.....

interesting..... I already did that years ago. Rode in the one at Langley AFB. That was a great class...glad I did it.

I was wondering if they still offered that to private pilots.....
I may be wrong but I believe there is a difference between a "hypoxia simulator" and and Air Force altitude chamber. You actually experience hypoxia in the altitude chamber.

I may be wrong but I believe there is a difference between a "hypoxia simulator" and and Air Force altitude chamber. You actually experience hypoxia in the altitude chamber.
I believe that the 'simulator' does essentially the same thing, by adjusting the nitrogen/oxygen to something other than our usual 4:1 mix. The only thing missing is the low pressure; the effect on the brain is quite the same.

I believe that the 'simulator' does essentially the same thing, by adjusting the nitrogen/oxygen to something other than our usual 4:1 mix. The only thing missing is the low pressure; the effect on the brain is quite the same.
So it sounds like the simulator has you wear a mask and they adjust the gases you breath to cause an oxygen deficiency as opposed to sitting in an altitude chamber where they decrease the atmospheric pressure on your body exactly as if you were climbing to an altitude where you need supplemental oxygen. I don't see the Air Force cheeping out and getting rid of altitude chambers but I may be wrong--gotta pay for that wall ;)

@Witmo and @Kenny Phillips .... What you are both describing is available from FAA's AMCD as the Portable Reduced Oxygen Training Environment, or PROTE.

Think of a set of acrylic panels and roof set up to form a 10ft x 10ft cube. Chairs are set inside for participants, and O2 masks are set at each chair. Nearby are devices that take in normal air, but remove the oxygen and pump nitrogen into the chamber at a calibrated amount to simulate 25,000 feet MSL Altitude.

After a briefing, participates are taken inside through an airlock, sat down, and then guided through the experience of being hypoxic. Much like the permanent chamber in OKC. You're asked to do some simple tasks such as solve math problems, do a few multiple choice or matching questions, or asked to look across at a color chart and identify the color of a particular line. As this is going on, a proctor wearing a diluter demand mask is calling out time hacks.

As soon as you feel you're trouble, you can don your O2 mask. Or if needed, one of the other proctors watching you will keep you from falling over and put the mask on you.

For me, participating in the event and learning about high altitude hazards was a very interesting experience. And an experience I encourage all pilots to seek out.

that idea of that simulator somehow feels cheap to me..... like being cheated....even though the chamber is a simulator too.

That said, I suppose doing that instead of a 'real' pressure chamber ride is probably just as good and certainly is better than nothing.
Wouldn't be able to do the rapid decompression, which while I'm glad I got the experience really it wasn't any big deal. Also miss out on the pressure mask experience....and the whole breathing routine...but those aren't really anything either.
The thing I did back in 1990's was about a half day class of physiology..much more than just high altitude stuff, but the whole flight environment. It was very good.

The one thing I regret....just as Aggiemike describes, in the chamber ride I took I was allowed to don my mask as soon as I decided to. I let myself get into the for sure finger nails turning blue, tunnel vision hypoxic stage but I do wish I'd let myself get deeper into it than I did. I likened it to the feeling of getting drunk. I got myself into the good buzz stage ..like 2-3 beers....but not snookered drunk. Regardless, it was very interesting how quickly my vision opened up and my head cleared after a breath or two of O2

I had chamber rides in the Air Force a number of times. Usually there was at least one guy who would let it go too far and the techs would have to jump up and help him get his mask on. Invariably, the guy didn't remember flopping around like a fish on the floor convulsing. The takeaway was to get on oxygen as soon as you realize the need as your mental faculties degrade rapidly and you will convince yourself that all is wonderful in the world.

OP here, with an update of sorts...
so as I posted earlier I finally made it in for my exam with my regular doc. He was good with it, sort of....
critical that they wanted him to check stuff without guidelines.

so, I think he kinda tried to read between the lines a bit and guess at what some thing s might be he should consider. Did a cursory wall poster eye check, talked about hearing and did basically what the AME does for regular class 3 medical.... and he also did a quick in office ekg just to check my heart function.... He was drawing off his DOT physical knowledge a bit

Also, it was off cycle for my regular annual physical...so the lady that made my appt said she would put it in as a follow-up to my regular physical that was just done like 2-3 months ago, saying that they could use the same "data" form back then to fill out the form.... because otherwise the insurance company wouldn't pay
well, I guess all the head scratching, and the ekg raised some red flags...and I got a bill in the mail yesterday, listed as DOT physical...which I thought interesting because teh doc told me they don't do DOT exams any more at that office. They want about $95 for it. Oh well.

Moral of the story, try to piggyback the basic med exam onto your regular yearly physical so hopefully your insurance covers it!

Side question....as a comparison, how much are AME's charging these days for a Class 3 medical?

Side question....as a comparison, how much are AME's charging these days for a Class 3 medical?

Last time I renewed my 2nd Class in ND it was a few bucks more than $100 (like $105 or $115. Do not recall exactly). Seems like $95 for a 3rd with additional tests seems pretty fair.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back