GPS Testing & Stop Buzzer / Stop Stream / Stop Burst

Sinistar

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brad
I could use a clarification on the use of this phrase - preferably from one of our resident ATC folks. There are countless threads on needing to be able to navigate without GPS. This question is specifically about the use of this phraseology. Is this actually a phrase pilots are supposed to use and ATC must act on?

At our little airport someone has mentioned (each time there is a GPS outage notification) that if you're finding yourself in a emergency situation during a listed GPS outtage and you need your GPS that you can simply tell ATC: "Stop Buzzer". Then ATC is supposed to tell the authority doing the jamming to stop it due to the pilot emergency.

But this sort of feels more like something being parroted around vs based on the FAR's, etc..

All I can really find is on the Pilot/Controller Glossary PCGS-7 and PCGS-8. "Stop Buzzer" and "Stop Burst" reference "Stop Stream". Then "Stop Stream" contains this:

STOP STREAM− Used by ATC to request a pilot to suspend electronic attack activity.
(See JAMMING.)

...so looking up jamming I find:

JAMMING− Electronic or mechanical interference which may disrupt the display of aircraft on radar or the transmission/reception of radio communications/ navigation.

....and it all seems to end there.

So is the use of the phrase actually a valid request / instruction from a pilot to ATC. The way it reads it sounds more like the phrase a tower controller would give to a pilot knowingly jamming.

Doesn’t really matter. How will you know if you’re suffering from jamming or just a failed receiver or local interference inside the aircraft?

GPS fails, fly whatever else you have on board.

The AOPA LIVE YouTube show mentions the "stop buzzer" phrase whenever they report on a GPS outage notam like it's some kind of magic word. Abracadabra! No wand needed.

I have a feeling the military's response would be "stop bi*ching". I would also like to hear what atc is told about this.

Last edited:
I always thought we would know based on the pre-flight GPS interference NOTAM if GPS becomes wonky. Unannounced jamming/interference testing if true; the ship board unit might be suspected.

For me I always tune VORs enroute incase GPS is lost, even VRF flights. Exception is well traveled routes in my backyard when VFR.

The AOPA LIVE YouTube show mentions the "stop buzzer" phrase whenever they report on a GPS outage notam like it's some kind of magic word. Abracadabra! No wand needed.

I have a feeling thre military's response would be "stop bi*ching". I would also like to heat what atc is told about this.

Ahhh. The magic world of AOPA is where this stupidity is coming from, eh?

You know, the world where you don’t just tell ATC you have a GPS failure and would like vectors...

And everyone magically knows it’s the military.

And the controller doesn’t have twenty other aircraft reporting the same problem.

Beat. Head. Here.

Which AOPA “expert” pushed this BS? LOL.

Yeah, this whole thing sounds made up. Or actually someone saw that phrase in the handbook and thought it could also be used by pilots.

I was hoping @Timbeck2 or @Radar Contact or another of our prestigious illustriuous controllers could clarify or relay what they have been told regarding this.

The pilot at our airport who shares this always seems very up to date on the FARs but this whole thing seems more made up than real.

So...you kind of wish you had your old adf receiver back so you can home in to your local am radio station...:).

I could use a clarification on the use of this phrase - preferably from one of our resident ATC folks. There are countless threads on needing to be able to navigate without GPS. This question is specifically about the use of this phraseology. Is this actually a phrase pilots are supposed to use and ATC must act on?

At our little airport someone has mentioned (each time there is a GPS outage notification) that if you're finding yourself in a emergency situation during a listed GPS outtage and you need your GPS that you can simply tell ATC: "Stop Buzzer". Then ATC is supposed to tell the authority doing the jamming to stop it due to the pilot emergency.

But this sort of feels more like something being parroted around vs based on the FAR's, etc..

All I can really find is on the Pilot/Controller Glossary PCGS-7 and PCGS-8. "Stop Buzzer" and "Stop Burst" reference "Stop Stream". Then "Stop Stream" contains this:

STOP STREAM− Used by ATC to request a pilot to suspend electronic attack activity.
(See JAMMING.)

...so looking up jamming I find:

JAMMING− Electronic or mechanical interference which may disrupt the display of aircraft on radar or the transmission/reception of radio communications/ navigation.

....and it all seems to end there.

So is the use of the phrase actually a valid request / instruction from a pilot to ATC. The way it reads it sounds more like the phrase a tower controller would give to a pilot knowingly jamming.

Yup. Controllers say it to pilots, not vice versa. I only heard it used once and the controller who did it shouldn't have. What he should have said was "squawk low" which is used when what was called 'ring around' could happen on old non digitized broadband Radar's. Here's the current controller procedures on this stuff.

5−1−5. ELECTRONIC ATTACK (EA)
ACTIVITY
a. Refer all EA activity requests to the appropriate
center supervisor.
REFERENCE−
FAA Order JO 7610.4, Chapter 2, Section 7, Electronic Attack (EA)
and Testing Coordination.
NOTE−
EA activity can subsequently result in a request to apply
EA videos to the radar system which may necessitate the
decertification of the narrowband search radar. The
Systems Engineer should be consulted concerning the
effect of EA on the operational use of the narrowband radar
prior to approving/disapproving requests to conduct
EA activity.
b. When EA activity interferes with the operational
use of radar:
1. EN ROUTE. Request the responsible military
unit or aircraft, if initial request was received
directly from pilot, to suspend the activity.
2. TERMINAL. Request suspension of the
activity through the ARTCC. If immediate cessation
of the activity is required, broadcast the request
directly to the EA aircraft on the emergency
frequency. Notify the ARTCC of direct broadcast as
soon as possible.
c. When previously suspended activity will no
longer interfere:
1. EN ROUTE. Inform the NORAD unit or
aircraft that it may be resumed.
2. TERMINAL. Inform the ARTCC or aircraft
that it may be resumed. Obtain approval from the
ARTCC prior to broadcasting a resume clearance
directly to the aircraft.
d. In each stop request, include your facility name,
type of EA activity (chaff dispensing−
“stream”/“burst” or electronic jamming− “buzzer”),
radar band affected and, when feasible, expected
duration of suspension.
PHRASEOLOGY−
BIG PHOTO (identification, if known) (name)
CENTER/TOWER/APPROACH CONTROL.
To stop EA activity:
STOP STREAM/BURST IN AREA (area name) (degree and
distance from facility),
or
STOP BUZZER ON (frequency band or channel).
To resume EA activity:
RESUME STREAM/BURST,
or
RESUME BUZZER ON (frequency band or channel).

Last edited:
Yup. Controllers say it to pilots, not vice versa. I only heard it used once and the controller who did it shouldn't have. What he should have said was "squawk low" which is used when what was called 'ring around' could happen on old non digitized broadband Radar's. Here's the current controller procedures on this stuff.

5−1−5. ELECTRONIC ATTACK (EA)
ACTIVITY
a. Refer all EA activity requests to the appropriate
center supervisor.
REFERENCE−
FAA Order JO 7610.4, Chapter 2, Section 7, Electronic Attack (EA)
and Testing Coordination.
NOTE−
EA activity can subsequently result in a request to apply
EA videos to the radar system which may necessitate the
decertification of the narrowband search radar. The
Systems Engineer should be consulted concerning the
effect of EA on the operational use of the narrowband radar
prior to approving/disapproving requests to conduct
EA activity.
b. When EA activity interferes with the operational
use of radar:
1. EN ROUTE. Request the responsible military
unit or aircraft, if initial request was received
directly from pilot, to suspend the activity.
2. TERMINAL. Request suspension of the
activity through the ARTCC. If immediate cessation
of the activity is required, broadcast the request
directly to the EA aircraft on the emergency
frequency. Notify the ARTCC of direct broadcast as
soon as possible.
c. When previously suspended activity will no
longer interfere:
1. EN ROUTE. Inform the NORAD unit or
aircraft that it may be resumed.
2. TERMINAL. Inform the ARTCC or aircraft
that it may be resumed. Obtain approval from the
ARTCC prior to broadcasting a resume clearance
directly to the aircraft.
d. In each stop request, include your facility name,
type of EA activity (chaff dispensing−
“stream”/“burst” or electronic jamming− “buzzer”),
radar band affected and, when feasible, expected
duration of suspension.
PHRASEOLOGY−
BIG PHOTO (identification, if known) (name)
CENTER/TOWER/APPROACH CONTROL.
To stop EA activity:
STOP STREAM/BURST IN AREA (area name) (degree and
distance from facility),
or
STOP BUZZER ON (frequency band or channel).
To resume EA activity:
RESUME STREAM/BURST,
or
RESUME BUZZER ON (frequency band or channel).
@luvflyin - you rock!!!

From what I read this whole "Stop Buzzer" (or stream or burst) is all about one of you guys requesting the jamming plane to stop. I don't see a single thing anywhere that makes this a official/recognized pilot request to ATC.

I am starting to think that whoever started this had good intentions but is giving people a very false sense of security and also not being clear enough on the actual use of the request. In sense it would seem you could ask ATC to request a stop buzzer. But just blurting on "Stop Buzzer" on center or guard probably wouldn't result in anything. Actually I would think if you were having trouble navigating ATC would just help you out with a location and vector if needed.

I have a feeling the military's response would be "stop bi*ching"

I had a similar thought just this morning while watching an "AOPA live" vid on youtube when they mentioned it..

I picture billions of dollars worth of aircraft carriers, nuke subs, a whole fleet of ships and squadrons of aircraft all poised to begin whatever the next move is in some elaborate plan. It took hours to get them all in the right places....
I key the mike and say "stop buzzer"
and just like that...the director yells "Cut". "Take 5, then Everyone back to your places and re-set!"

yeah right....

But just blurting on "Stop Buzzer" on center or guard probably wouldn't result in anything.

If I get back to flying I’ll start screaming it right after ATITPPA!!!!

I had a similar thought just this morning while watching an "AOPA live" vid on youtube when they mentioned it..

I picture billions of dollars worth of aircraft carriers, nuke subs, a whole fleet of ships and squadrons of aircraft all poised to begin whatever the next move is in some elaborate plan. It took hours to get them all in the right places....
I key the mike and say "stop buzzer"
and just like that...the director yells "Cut". "Take 5, then Everyone back to your places and re-set!"

yeah right....

The term is used by ATC to inform the agency to stop activity not the pilot. ATC’s job is to simply forward the interference report up to the center sup. If the EA affects ATC radar they may get it shutdown.

Seen chaff on radar and told the aircraft spewing it to “stop burst.” While it didn’t really affect the operational use of my radar, there were civilian aircraft below him so I said it. Used to get interference from F-14 radar on PAR a lot so we simply said to “turn off radar / AWG-9.” Seen some other crazy jamming / interference during MOA exercises but I don’t recall anyone saying “stop buzzer.” The activity usually doesn’t last long.

At any rate, where you have large scale exercises like this, odds are you’re not getting it to shutdown. That’s the whole point of issuing the notam.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zo...-s-for-largest-ever-red-flag-air-war-exercise

Back