UAVIONIX SKYBEACON TAILBEACON Freqecy Drift

So instead of denigrating me for my ignorance, perhaps someone can tell me how you change the code on a Uavionix tail beacon in flight. And do please tell me how you do it without a wifi-enabled i-device of some kind.

So instead of denigrating me for my ignorance, perhaps someone can tell me how you change the code on a Uavionix tail beacon in flight. And do please tell me how you do it without a wifi-enabled i-device of some kind.

I did not denigrate you, and I answered your question directly.

Why would you have to do that? Just change the squawk on your transponder.

"uAvionix’s patented power transcoder technology seamlessly communicates with your existing transponder, any transponder, over your aircraft’s electrical system."

My bestest guess is that when your transponder transmits a bit there is a small but detectable spike at the beginning and end of the bit - at least for a 1 vs a 0. Watching the timing of those small spikes lets the device decode what the transponder is transponding.

It’s passive. The tail beacon needs an iDevice to set your TAIL number, which never changes unless you repaint the airplane.

After that it just listens to whatever SQUAWK code you’re sending from your original old transponder and sends that PLUS your encoded TAIL number.

Remember ADS-B is about getting your tail number. It’s a government surveillance system. Not a safety system.

Doesn’t matter what you set your squawk to. 1200, 7700... it just repeats it.

Helpful?

I just want to point out that you were denigrating others for using this device when you hadn't educated yourself yet to how it works.

U.S. patent 10,156,627 Assignee : UAVIONIX CORPORATION ,Bigfork , MT ( US )
"The ADS-B radio extracts Mode transponder data from parasitic oscillations on the aircraft power line induced by transmissions of ownship radar transponder reply signals."
"In one embodiment, an aircraft including a radar transponder connected to an aircraft electrical system configured to transmit at least one reply signal in response to a radio-frequency interrogation may be leveraged to provide ADS-B OUT compliant transmissions. In such an embodiment, an ADS-B navigation light electrically coupled to an aircraft electrical system power line may detect at least one induced signal on the aircraft electrical system power line. The induced signal corresponding to the aircraft radar transponder reply signal."
"The transmission of the response signal 226 by the transponder 224 may induce a noise signal 228 (e.g., current pulse) in the aircraft's electrical system 400 (including power wire 230) for an embodiment of the instant invention, navigation position reporting ADS-B beacon (10), e.g., incorporated in a navigation light 218A, 218B. The ADS-B beacon 10 may monitor the power wire 230, detecting the noise signal 228 and extracting the transponder reply information from the noise signal 228."

Apparently, someone is not as dumb as he looks.

Attachments

• US10156627.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 5

Well...I will explain how this works .

First...Skybeacon is a UAT transmitter. ALL UAT transmitters work in conjunction with legacy...AKA old transponders already installed in the plane. All changes to squawk codes and ident functions are initiated just like before ...with the controls on the old transponder. The UAT transmitter senses either through direct connection like a GDL82, or by other means like Skybeacon, the data being transmitted by your mode a/c transponder and adds your position and hex code along with your n-number to comply with ADS-B requirements. This information is transmitted out of the UAT transmitter on 978mhz. Your legacy transponder transmits out on 1090mhz just as it has always done.

Once installed, the UAT transmitter no longer requires any input from the pilot. The Skybeacon can be controlled via wifi after it boots up, but it is not necessary to connect and change settings once it has been setup properly.

Last edited:
Easy install in my MD500 ..its been right on since.

Nope, but if I had a quick and easy way to test it that took 30 seconds or less as part of a checklist, I'd have done it.
You can down load the app and change codes and watch it work.

Back