Anyone been to Death Valley/Furnace Creek lately?

MonkeyClaw

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Timothy Miller
How is the runway there? I saw a review somewhere that said the runway has a few really big 'bumps' in it - like several inches tall! That's not the kind of thing I want to deal with... Can anyone provide a recent pirep?

I landed at camped there about 9 months ago.. really awesome spot. Rented some Jeeps and drove all around the area. I highly recommend. I didn't notice anything unusual about the runway

If you can, then it's worth a walk to the middle of Badwater Basin

How is the runway there? I saw a review somewhere that said the runway has a few really big 'bumps' in it - like several inches tall! That's not the kind of thing I want to deal with... Can anyone provide a recent pirep?

I was there about 5 years ago. The runway did not seem in a condition that would deteriorate to that state in 5 years. But then I suppose an Earthquake could do it. Sorry I don’t have something more recent

Was there in November. Lots of cracks in the runway, but not a safety risk. No fuel or services and I was the only plane there. A great place to visit.

Was there in November. Lots of cracks in the runway, but not a safety risk. No fuel or services and I was the only plane there. A great place to visit.

OK thanks all. Now I can't find where the person was complaining about the cracks (of course...) but November is the most recent report I've seen. Hopefully I'll be out this spring to check it out!

If you go man up and fly there in July or August...at max gross....:D

I’ve been meaning to fly there. Glad to hear it’s in good condition.

Any need for position reports then? :)

Have a look at the runway condition comments on ForeFlight before you go, not encouraging.

I’ve been meaning to fly there. Glad to hear it’s in good condition.

I wouldn’t say it is in “good” condition- more like
“OK” condition. But it should not scare anyone off.

Go. Spend the night. Take a photo at Zabriskie point at dawn.

Attachments

• A9919DA6-AEDB-47D3-BF0F-3DF5F6C1E785.jpeg
    A9919DA6-AEDB-47D3-BF0F-3DF5F6C1E785.jpeg
    162.2 KB · Views: 34
Anyone been to Stovepipe Wells Airport (L09) 16 miles NW? Sounds like a better runway.

Went into Stovepipe Wells 4-5 years ago. Runway was fine. Mine was the only plane there for two days in April. A lodge and restaurant are adjacent, but there is no ground transportation available there. We met friends who had a car. Rentals are at Furnace Creek.
Jon

Back