When proper phraseology seems to have suddenly all leaked out of your brain (which happens!), remember that "regular English" works too.
"What runway is that other plane landing on? 18? I'd like 18 too." May not sound all fancy, but gets the job done.

Anytime Tower gives you a runway, but there's a different runway you prefer, just tell them. There are plenty of reasons this might happen. For instance, if you want to practice crosswinds deliberately (an evil CFI trick!), or be able to turn off really near your hangar on a light-wind day (convenience), or if the controller has a brain-fart (as happened with you). Controllers will be able to tell you right away if they can accommodate the request -- very often they can.

I know of a case at my home field with two perpendicular runways, Tower had everyone on "the usual" runway. But it was a windy day, and a feather-light tailwheel airplane ground-looped because they just followed along with Tower's instructions and didn't *insist* on the other runway which was more wind-favorable. Just speak up!

I think this is a great point. Standard phrases are useful and should be used but sometimes a simple, " Tower please confirm you want me to land on runway 36 when I hear you have another plane approaching for runway 18" will absolutely get the towers attention and make them adjust their priorities quickly.

I fly into KPOU frequently and all those controllers are training. Often they give confusing directions and have a tough time spacing the planes out. A simple " we are approaching from the south do you actually want me to over fly the field to join the opposite downwind" usually works to clarify.

Reactions: smv
Mistakes happen, by both sides. Anytime I’m not sure, or it just doesn’t seem right, asking to “Please confirm xyz for 1234” can help.

Truth: One would be hard pressed to locate an ATC facility without training going on.

Right and I sometimes think that’s realky important to keep in mind. Controllers just as easily make mistakes as pilots but for some reason pilots don’t always feel it acceptable to ask for clarity if they are not sure. It’s a two way street with that and I’ve yet to have a controller “chew me out” for just making a simple- “confirm you want me to do this,”especially at a towered airport, where it’s very possible multiple planes might be converging and the control has limited resources at their disposal.

Btw, nice job on the go around. That must have been stressful and I can imagine some might have tried to force it down.

This is the BEST thing that came of your cross country. YOU are pilot in command and YOU decide when, where, and how to fly. If it doesn't feel right, make a change. AVIATE, NAVIGATE, COMMUNICATE! My only suggestion is next time you TELL the controller that you're going around, not ask. ;)
I know it leaves a bad taste in your mouth for a first cross county but on mine I lined up to land on the wrong runway. Tower didn't say anything until I was 100' off the ground with the big runway numbers staring at me. I felt like an idiot but learned.
You did good!!!
LOL...reminds me of what I did once, returning to Republic on Long Island (KFRG), with my wife. Tower cleared me to land on runway 01, but I lined up for 32. Luckily for me, the nice lady in the tower caught my goof-up early and told me about it while on a 3 mile final.

Felt like an idiot (especially with my wife in the right seat), who had only flown with me a few times, but I'm glad the controller didn't let me get that close to see the numbers!

BTW, I was flying steam, not glass, in which case I would have felt like an even bigger idiot :D

Last edited:
LOL...reminds me of what I did once, returning to Republic on Long Island (KFRG), with my wife. Tower cleared me to land on runway 01, but I lined up for 32. Luckily for me, the nice lady in the tower caught my goof-up early and told me about it while on a 3 mile final.

Felt like an idiot (especially with my wife in the right seat), who had only flown with me a few times, but I'm glad the controller didn't let me get that close to see the numbers!

BTW, I was flying steam, not glass, in which case I would have felt like an even bigger idiot :D

I struggled with that too. My cfi caught me a couple times in training. I find the extended runways feature on my efb extremely helpful lol.

I think you did great ... especially going around when you weren’t comfortable with the set up.

Talk to the controllers in plain English when needed. If you are not comfortable feel free to ask for an alternative. If you don’t understand ATC requests ask. Pilots/passengers have died blindly following ATC. Few days ago a Citation overran a runway near here because the pilot was directed to commence the approach to landing when the pilot was currently working a planned hold waiting for another plane. Got behind the plane and ooops. Thankfully only some bent metal.

I fly out of a Bravo. Couple days ago I was doing night proficiency at a local airport and was returning to land and tower asked me if I wanted a direct base. This involves a 2000’ immediate turning descent with full flaps and full slip. I’ll do that in daytime ops but didn’t feel comfortable doing that at night. Tower gave me a more stable option which is what I was originally planning.

Bottom line is that you learn as you go. Enjoy the ride!

You Aced it!

i agree, ask for clarification. Ive had them mix me up with another plane in the pattern, so instructions didnt add up, I asked for clarification and stated my position and tail number again, it was their oops... and thats not meant rudely, they are only human, and us pilots may not admit it but we make mistakes flying too...

Let that memory of stress turn into, “As stressful as that was I handled it, Im safe” sense of pride. Knowing when you had lots of reasons to not make that decision to go around you chose the only right one and did it, you in a crunch kept your airmans priorities straight. Nothing is more important than that in our passion.

I would fly as your passenger, once your legal to take em that is ;)

Last edited:
One of my favorite PP training “events” was doing a touch and go or stop and go at KIXD (Class D) with my CFI. I can’t remember where we had been, but the idea was to do a quick landing at IXD before popping back home next door at OJC.

I did the normal “Warrior xxx 10 south yada yada”. Tower came back with “report 2 mile final 36”. Pretty straightforward, I was on a 10 mile straight in for 36. A minute later tower cleared me to land. I said, “Warrior xxx is still 8 south, was that clearance for me?”

There was a pause, then tower exploded. Someone else had pulled onto a short right base and then final for 36 and hadn’t been cleared even into the airspace. That plane landed, tower was still yelling at him on tower freq, then switched to ground. My cfi said, “lets just get out of here.” I never did hear the rest of that story.

Back