Noob

RyanDe680

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
RMD
Hello. I’m outside Chicago and for my 40th this year, I’m checking a couple of items off my ‘list’ - one of them being running a half and the other learning to fly.

I’ve started the learning to fly because honestly reading materials is much more exciting than going on a 3 or 5 mile run when it’s 30.

there’s lots to read it seems. I have a good friend that is a pilot (Private) and I have a flight school but am now going through materials. There’s copious amounts of info out there. I have the ASA student flight manual and Rod Machado’s book. But there’s a lot from the FAA and the materials look decent.

How did everyone aggregate what to read?

Last edited:
My opinion is to ask your flight instructor. S/he is likely working off some sort of syllabus (whether they are part 61 or 141), and can guide your reading to keep you focused. They won't mind you reading beyond their syllabus. Your goals are to pass the ground school exam and the check ride, while also learning to avoid "stupid pilot tricks". AOPA used to have a subscription to Flight Training for students, but you can get it on-line, too. You will want an FAR/AIM, and look through that.

Agreed. Instructor syllabus and peruse the ACS. It’s the controlling document.

Everything can be found that’s needed in free to download FAA pubs if they meet your learning style. Other stuff augments their pubs.

PHAK and AFH, plus the ACS, are all you really need and they're free from the FAA. But don't settle for the minimum. Here's what's in my aviation bookcase, at least so far. Might make a decent starting point for you to pick up these:

upload_2020-1-12_14-15-12.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-1-12_14-8-51.png
    upload_2020-1-12_14-8-51.png
    584.8 KB · Views: 12
I've been reading aviation training materials for it thirty years - and no end in sight. Settle in for the long haul...

Thanks guys for the feedback. HF nice collection!

Long story short, read everything. Right now I agree with the others, start with what your instructor says. That's what they are going to be teaching you first.

Ask your CFI. In addition to that, I'd buy the King course and take lots of notes while doing the on line lessons.

In addition, get the standard go to Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge.
https://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/s...handbook-of-aeronautical-knowledge-combo.html

(I did the Gleim book work and on line testing. I got it because I'm more of a read and test vs on line. But I would recommend not doing Gleim. It's just not updated enough. Go with King online and take notes would be my humble recommendation for your consideration).

I found studying for the written a great way to spend winter hours when I couldn't be flying with the CFI. Odd as it may seem, I enjoyed learning the material.

Here's a shout out for Sporty's online learn to fly course. Very comprehensive, in video format, with lots of practice test questions. I didn't care at all for PHAK or AFH, as both seem geared toward an ultimate commercial rating, (multi-engine, complex). Great, once you understand basic techniques, or just want something to make you sleepy.

Hello. I’m outside Chicago and for my 40th this year, I’m checking a couple of items off my ‘list’ - one of them being running a half and the other learning to fly.

I’ve started the learning to fly because honestly reading materials is much more exciting than going on a 3 or 5 mile run when it’s 30.

there’s lots to read it seems. I have a good friend that is a pilot (Private) and I have a flight school but am now going through materials. There’s copious amounts of info out there. I have the ASA student flight manual and Rod Machado’s book. But there’s a lot from the FAA and the materials look decent.

How did everyone aggregate what to read?

Copius is an understatement. I would recommend sticking with the ASA, Machado and your CFI for now. Or some other student pilot guide. Later, let your curiosity take you however deep into the bottomless pit of regulations out there that you want to go..

Thanks guys for the feedback. HF nice collection!

Thanks. The Rickenbacker and “Wrong Way” Corrigan books are autographed with some personal photos and memorabilia tucked inside the covers. Found them in an antique bookshop last year. Cool stuff.

I echo the King course. worked great for me and got a 92 o the written. Would have done better but made a couple of bonehead answers. Most of the test has multiple right answers, but there is one answer more right than the others.

King recently upgraded the course with new material. You get a lifetime subscription and works on PC or via streaming or download on an iPad. You get the updates for life whenever you use the course.

It possible as others have suggested to get it done by just reading the free publications, but I'm a visual learner and the demos, graphics, and illustrations were a plus.

Just a note on Rod Machado’s book: It is very good, but it is also extremely thorough so much so that it can be overwhelming. You don't have to absorb every piece of knowledge in his book to get a great score on the written.

Ask your CFI. In addition to that, I'd buy the King course and take lots of notes while doing the on line lessons.

In addition, get the standard go to Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge.
https://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/s...handbook-of-aeronautical-knowledge-combo.html

(I did the Gleim book work and on line testing. I got it because I'm more of a read and test vs on line. But I would recommend not doing Gleim. It's just not updated enough. Go with King online and take notes would be my humble recommendation for your consideration).

I found studying for the written a great way to spend winter hours when I couldn't be flying with the CFI. Odd as it may seem, I enjoyed learning the material.

Thanks. I actually downloaded both of those texts from the FAA and I use GoodReader for most things I read.

Just a note on Rod Machado’s book: It is very good, but it is also extremely thorough so much so that it can be overwhelming. You don't have to absorb every piece of knowledge in his book to get a great score on the written.

Thanks - agreed. Lots of detail.

I attended a 12 week (2 hrs /week) ground school class which basically covered the PHAK, AFH, and FAR/AIM. I read all three of those books, but then I downloaded Sporty’s study buddy app and took many many practice tests until I was consistently scoring in the 90s. I scored a 97 on my written as a result. I’ve since then consumed other information online as I work to finish my PPL (almost 40 hours now). As they say, a pilot is always learning. Best of luck with your training!

Reactions: AJS
I attended a 12 week (2 hrs /week) ground school class which basically covered the PHAK, AFH, and FAR/AIM. I read all three of those books, but then I downloaded Sporty’s study buddy app and took many many practice tests until I was consistently scoring in the 90s. I scored a 97 on my written as a result. I’ve since then consumed other information online as I work to finish my PPL (almost 40 hours now). As they say, a pilot is always learning. Best of luck with your training!

Thanks! This is similar to the direction that I want to head. I want to sponge this up and judging by what I have been reading on here for a couple of months, there's no shortage of info out there...

Back