Thinking About a Welding Helmet

PS - I've read that true arc flash shouldn't happen even if the auto-darkening is broken because of the passive IR/UV filtering of the lense. As a guy who knows jack about welding, not sure whether to believe that.

The visible light that is left can still do damage. But it is also the 1% of the spectrum that causes pain before the damage. All the UV and IR that is 99% of the damaging energy, your eyes won't register as pain until well after the damage is done.

Lasers are specifically rated as more dangerous if they fall outside the visible range, because you have no automatic blink response to the overload and damage. The same applies to an extent here.

When welding, the most likely reason to have a failure to darken is for all the light sensors to have not had clear line of sight to the arc. This is usually more common on helmets with only 2 sensors, both above the lens. You can usually identify the sensors as 1/8 inch square or round objects inset that sort of look like a dark red or violet LED that never illuminates.

I have a solar auto-darkening welding helmet, the UV protection is 16 levels, the shade range is DIN 4 / 9-13. It works well.
ce9be5c5db3e654482ba8d3312b83e8c.jpg

I would have a hard time trusting my sight and health to Harbor Freight.

I haven't welded since middle school. Id love to start welding again but cant think of any projects I would do.

For some reason I never posted the resolution. My wife bought me this one:

60966287_936980007683_5394063707812659200_n.jpg

She did the research and I've been very happy with it. Had it for about 6-9 months now (I forget when she bought it for me). It has a grinder mode as well as a welder mode. The helmet is plastic, and I wanted the nose art girl on the side. My wife likes that, too. :)

Actually...

The Vulcan ArcSafe from Harbor Freight is actually a very good helmet. I have two and am very happy with them. Large viewing area, multiple (4) arc sensors. Costs about $150, but often on sale. I work around a lot of different helmets, and this one compares with others in the $300-400 range. Major step up from the $50 auto darkening helmets.

I read this as "wedding helmet" and was intrigued.

Nauga,
and his hard hat

Get a good helmet! It makes welding SO much easier when you can see what youre welding. $200 will get you a good Miller auto-darkening helmet.

For some reason I never posted the resolution. My wife bought me this one:

60966287_936980007683_5394063707812659200_n.jpg

She did the research and I've been very happy with it. Had it for about 6-9 months now (I forget when she bought it for me). It has a grinder mode as well as a welder mode. The helmet is plastic, and I wanted the nose art girl on the side. My wife likes that, too. :)
you guys are super cool if you're welding in the kitchen!

Reactions: Ted
you guys are super cool if you're welding in the kitchen!

We're not that cool. No kitchen welding, just where the photo was taken.

Back