Sedona Flying game test pilots? Aerobatic biplane

exncsurfer

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
exncsurfer
I made this Roblox game with a biplane and I'm wondering if anyone can fly it and give me feedback.

TLDR folks, try my LEGO flight sim game: https://www.roblox.com/games/3970172213

Before you try it and say, "I can't control the darn thing!" I should give you some excuses (er... tips). I wanted to make it stable-ish and as plane like as possible without being too boring for gamers. So, It has WAY too much thrust, needed for easy loops and rolls by non-pilot flyers. To tame this thrust I had to add way too much drag to keep it in check. The result is a pretty fun flying plane but landings aren't exactly realistic unless you keep some power in to shallow the approach. You can pretty much dive straight down into a flare and stop short. If you want a more typical looking landing you keep in maybe 10 percent power and come in at a normal angle. I didn't code the biplane from scratch but I have made significant modifications to the original. For example the original model didn't allow for negative AOA or even have a vertical stabilizer in the calculations.

Control tips:
I made the mouse controls very fine at the center and increasing towards the edges exponentially. So keep the mouse centered when you aren't maneuvering and you'll be fairly stable(with the exception of full power). At full power be prepared to hold the nose down!

I suggest starting with half throttle maybe a little more. It flies straight and level at 1/3 power with controls centered.

If you don't know what Roblox is, ask your kids, commandeer their account/pc.

The sedona map has a runway in a cave for when you get the hang of it:
https://www.roblox.com/games/3970172213
The Sedona terrain was generated from actual elevation data. I did have to fill it with water to erase some of it because it was too big to upload. There is a float biplane that is fun also.

My original map is pretty basic flat 3 landing areas, 4 if you count the footbridge. It does have blimp targets to shoot at though which Sedona doesn't have yet:
https://www.roblox.com/games/1930884113

upload_2019-12-28_22-45-34.png

Last edited:
Bump...

Hmm, nobody has kids, or grand-kids that play 'video games'. I guess.

Last call.... then I'll give up and leave this thread for dead.

Thanks

For some reason my perfectly functional mouse wouldn't control the pitch and roll. I'd suggest moving to the arrow keys - similar to the old Dynamix Aces Over Europe (That and Aces Over the Pacific were great games!!!) - which I think you could probably find online.

Bump...

Hmm, nobody has kids, or grand-kids that play 'video games'. I guess.

Last call.... then I'll give up and leave this thread for dead.

Thanks

After signing up with userid and password, it asked if I wanted to open a xdg-open. Then it crashed with "operation not supported". This is on Chrome 79.0.3945.79 (Official Build) (64-bit) Linux.

...To tame this thrust I had to add way too much drag to keep it in check. The result is a pretty fun flying plane but landings aren't exactly realistic unless you keep some power in to shallow the approach. You can pretty much dive straight down into a flare and stop short.

That's pretty much how biplanes are...

For some reason my perfectly functional mouse wouldn't control the pitch and roll. I'd suggest moving to the arrow keys - similar to the old Dynamix Aces Over Europe (That and Aces Over the Pacific were great games!!!) - which I think you could probably find online.
That is strange about your mouse not moving the ailerons and elevator. There is the option of keyboard control, if you go into the Controls menu turn off the mouse there and control with ASWD keys:
upload_2020-1-15_8-39-43.png

But I don't really like the all-or-nothing response of keys. You can circumvent this somewhat by quick tapping I guess. I have been surprised how yoke-like the mouse can be when set to invert pitch. You push the mouse for nose down, pull it back towards you for nose up. (Well, if your mouse works)

Thanks for trying it!

After signing up with userid and password, it asked if I wanted to open a xdg-open. Then it crashed with "operation not supported". This is on Chrome 79.0.3945.79 (Official Build) (64-bit) Linux.
Hmm, Linux?

Roblox is not a web based game client. The client is supported on Windows, Mac, Iphone, Ipad, Android, Xbox One.

It seems you have managed to find a platform that isn't supported. You may be able to use an emulator, but I don't know how the performance would be with graphics. A quick google found this: " Roblox is considered a "Gold" application in the Wine App Database."

Maybe you know what that means.

Thanks for trying!

My kids like Roblox and the one loves flight simulator. I’ll show him tonight. The he can show me lol

That is strange about your mouse not moving the ailerons and elevator. There is the option of keyboard control, if you go into the Controls menu turn off the mouse there and control with ASWD keys:
View attachment 81938

But I don't really like the all-or-nothing response of keys. You can circumvent this somewhat by quick tapping I guess. I have been surprised how yoke-like the mouse can be when set to invert pitch. You push the mouse for nose down, pull it back towards you for nose up. (Well, if your mouse works)

Thanks for trying it!
It would be more intuitive to have the "stick" on the arrow keys, and the WS be up and down throttle and AD be the left and right rudder...

It would be more intuitive to have the "stick" on the arrow keys, and the WS be up and down throttle and AD be the left and right rudder...
Yes I agree, I didn't make the controls but I could certainly change them to whatever. I don't use the keyboard controls but when I tried it that Z & X throttle was very strange. I might move the throttle to the arrow keys(up/down) at least, and maybe the rudder(right/left).

Yesterday, for mobile users I added tilt controls to a test plane so you can just tilt and bank your phone to control the plane. It works pretty well on my phone.

Yes I agree, I didn't make the controls but I could certainly change them to whatever. I don't use the keyboard controls but when I tried it that Z & X throttle was very strange. I might move the throttle to the arrow keys(up/down) at least, and maybe the rudder(right/left).

Yesterday, for mobile users I added tilt controls to a test plane so you can just tilt and bank your phone to control the plane. It works pretty well on my phone.
Seriously, use the ACES commands - they were perfect. And the arrow keys are better for control with the right hand with left hand for rudder and throttle. Works more like a Cub or a P-51 that way with the throttle in your left hand and the stick held by the right hand.

Back