Daily Pic

Not really. The 182 and 172 are entirely different airframes that look similar. The Dakota and the Archer are essentially the same except for the engine and prop.

When I went from a 172 to a 182, I was surprised at how different it was. When I went from an Archer to a Dakota... Well, there wasn't much difference at all except in performance and having to pull a little harder to get the nose up on landing.

The 172 uses the same airfoil as the 182.

That surprises some. Including me until @flyingchessehead pointed it out.

See TCDS... :)

It flies different mostly because of added weight and horsepower including all that extra weight up front.

Bigger flippers in back (ode to Wolfgang...) so you’ll have a little extra force to hold the fat O-470 weight off the strut. :)

Awesome! How's the performance of the Dakota when compared to the Archer? Similar handling characteristics?

You really feel the extra weight on the nose. Takes a good pull to rotate, and likewise harder to flare. Obviously better performance. 135tas vs about 110 in the archer. About 50% faster climb. 12ish gph vs 9 aggressively leaned.

The Dakota is a 79, and the archer is a 98; 20 years arguably makes a bigger difference than 50 hp. Of course we were at about 2900 gross, whereas the archer max is 2500, so im sure that exaggerates the difference.

Visited N928J today. I love that I get to see & touch her, but it makes me sad that she's sitting there, rotting away. There's another albatross at the hotel here I'll catch a shot of tomorrow. Such cool planes. IMG_20200109_071340184.jpg IMG_20200109_071237601.jpg

Last edited:
Half sunk Albatross in the lagoon behind the hotel.
IMG_20200110_075019660.jpg Did the NASA tour in MVFR conditions
IMG_20200111_140025990.jpg IMG_20200111_140119323_TOP.jpg capsized cargo ship just south of KSSI. We tried to make it to Augusta, GA, but couldn't maintain VMC south of Savannah, so we turned around and overnighted in Saint Simon's Island. Such a cool place. Fabulous FBO with a nice hotel right on the field. We'll definitely be going back.
IMG_20200111_150521353.jpg made it up to KRZR and were treated to a Stearman doing laps around the pattern.
IMG_20200112_160355186_TOP.jpg

Half sunk Albatross in the lagoon behind the hotel.
View attachment 81845 Did the NASA tour in MVFR conditions
View attachment 81846 View attachment 81847 capsized cargo ship just south of KSSI. We tried to make it to Augusta, GA, but couldn't maintain VMC south of Savannah, so we turned around and overnighted in Saint Simon's Island. Such a cool place. Fabulous FBO with a nice hotel right on the field. We'll definitely be going back.
View attachment 81848 made it up to KRZR and were treated to a Stearman doing laps around the pattern.
View attachment 81849
Super cool man! I’m like 10 miles S-SW of RZR at KFGU. Glad to see you had a nice trip!

These pics are from the last month or so. This field below is 57NC in Bryson City NC. I would have loved to see this place in its hay day. What a setting for an airport. The busted up old Apache under a rusty hangar is the last remanent of days gone by.

A nice wagon stopped by the home field for a few days....

And lastly a little spot landing practice with my old girl after a wash job...

Last edited:
These pics are from the last month or so. This field below is 57NC in Bryson City NC. I would have loved to see this place in its hay day. What a setting for an airport. The busted up old Apache under a rusty hangar is the last remanent of days gone by.

57956E72-4B5D-4CDE-975D-47D6169682C5_zpswwh7c9qs.jpg

8F621901-09DC-4AD4-BD17-B24D37DA4BCA_zpstqt6bynf.jpg

75DABD1B-51BA-4AC6-AB85-13D43EFD56AB_zpswyywiwzn.jpg

5EFF3BF0-2418-4DD7-982C-785468D80071_zpsmsmwzj4n.jpg

F29A9956-4337-4965-A56C-2A0F3C5C110A_zpsg7byoffy.jpg

A nice wagon stopped by the home field for a few days....

And lastly a little spot landing practice with my old girl after a wash job....

Love the fat tires on the tricycle! Was anyone around at 57NC? I’ve thought about landing there but being private I never have.

Love the fat tires on the tricycle! Was anyone around at 57NC? I’ve thought about landing there but being private I never have.

U sure it’s 57NC? I thought sossamon has been out of business for a long long time. Google earth it, there’s nothing that resembles paint on the runway like u see in the photos and definitely nothing you’d want to land a plane on.

U sure it’s 57NC? I thought sossamon has been out of business for a long long time. Google earth it, there’s nothing that resembles paint on the runway like u see in the photos and definitely nothing you’d want to land a plane on.
Haha I was thinking that. Definitely not Sossamon...

Looks like it to me. I’d land there, maybe not the venture but certainly in any normal single.

Looks like it to me. I’d land there, maybe not the venture but certainly in any normal single.

I guess it was a multi part question.

1) I think the place has been closed for years. Do u think the pics above are pics from sossamon? I definitely do not.

2) you’d land there....in ANY plane? Allow me to post an image of 57NC:

462e63666f18f3d77a08bbd05b9f228d.jpg

U still think it’s the same place from the pics above? What exactly looks similar in the pics?

Thanks. The fat tires are fun. No one was around. The place was locked up tight. The owner died some years ago and the place is for sale.

The first four pics are Sossamon. For some reason only the first one shows up. Not sure why. If you click the X’s it will take you to my photobucket gallery and you can see actual condition. The last few after the 185 are eastern NC fields. Didn’t mean to misrepresent....

As to the condition of Sossamon, it’s actually not in bad shape, and you can land a plane on it just fine. It’s a little cracked up but definitely not any rougher than most grass or farm strips.

Last edited:
I guess it was a multi part question.

1) I think the place has been closed for years. Do u think the pics above are pics from sossamon? I definitely do not.

2) you’d land there....in ANY plane? Allow me to post an image of 57NC:

462e63666f18f3d77a08bbd05b9f228d.jpg

U still think it’s the same place from the pics above? What exactly looks similar in the pics?
1) yes the first few definitely are
2) I’ve seen the pictures and read the ForeFlight comments and yes I’d land there in anything I’d land on grass with.

Sadly my 201 didn't have the fat tire option, so I'd pass on Sossamon. I don't think it would be very much fun landing on the rubber biscuits there...

Back