new pilot request help

Didn't go FBO, just went to motel after I landed. Guy Joseph greeted me and fixed my landing light for free (it was unplugged)! :D
My plan is to leave at 7am on this route following close to the Highway 10. In case of emergency, I can land on the highway. :rolleyes:
KPEQ KVHN KDNA KLSB

It appears I'll start to encounter mountains and will need to climb.
Here's 360 video from when I took off Bonham, TX

That video was a blast from the past. I’ve done hundreds of takeoffs and landings there.

Glad you’re moving along well Peter. If it were me and I had to emergency land along the way I would try to to find flat land along the interstate rather than land on the highway itself unless the highway is the only choice.

You're moving along well.

Hey folks,
I made it Pesco, TX today after waiting for wind gust to die down at Abilene, TX.
There was much turbulence at 4500 but it improved further west I got.
Feeling a bit tired today. Someone asked if I'd fly at night; not planning since I'm not familiar with terrain.
Thanks again folks for following my journey. BTW, if you can post my flight from Flightaware as screen shoot, please do. I can't see my own flight yet.
Because I can't play any music during flight, I started talking to myself today. I imagine what I'd say if there was a passenger next to me. Weird as this sounds, it actually helped pass time and ease my anxiousness! :)
Check for Frost on the wing in the morning. It will be 29 degrees in the morning.

Peter, you might want to look at the turbulence forecasts for your route. There is some light turbulence along your way. Just be aware of it so you’re not caught by surprise. Do you use Foreflight or some other EFB?

Not Riverside, He's going to Corona. Corona is the mid-air capitol of Southern California.
I was responding to the question about which end of California Peter was going to. Most folks know where Riverside and the Inland Empire are, but Corona not so much except for Aircraft Spruce customers. ;)

Riverside and Corona are right next to each other (KAJO and KRAL are eight nm apart).

Last edited:
That's what I get if I disable position-only flights. When you are logged in, go to the My Account page (under your user name in the upper left corner). Once you are on that page, scroll down to section 6 and make sure that "Show position-only flights" is selected, and then select "Save."

Thanks for that! Now I can fly vicariously thru Peter while I'm sitting in Mexico for work.

FlightAware has him crossing state line west of El Paso...making good groundspeed.

I love how everybody has stepped up to send this guy good wishes. Restores my faith in humanity.

Welp he's dropped off now, out in the boonies with poor coverage. It was that way from Pecos until he got a better signal around El Paso. Now blackout again. Guess you have to be at flight levels or something...

Hi folks,
I’m in New Mexico now!
After flying 2 legs in smooth air, took a beating near El Paso. Landed KLRU and fuel up ready to go all way to Tuscon, AZ but decided not; gusty turbulence ahead.
I’m fatigued and hungry; didn’t want beated up again. So eating at Love’s gas station near airport and gonna wait see if gust dies down.

Great news, Peter! Glad you were able to make it to New Mexico! I'd recommend an early AM flight to AZ and buckle-down there for the day/night. Get an early AM flight to SoCal the next day to avoid the stronger turbulence, but you're going to be battling a head wind and incoming storm system from the north (arriving Thursday.)

Wow... MORE progress! Well done! I'll have to meet you one day at KCNO and buy you breakfast at Flos Airport Cafe!
and make sure to give him a ride in that speed wagon depicted in your avatar.

Give him something to look forward to one day.

So have you transitioned through any/many MOA's on your trip so far.

Good job Peter! I’m envious of the experience. Have fun and be safe.

and make sure to give him a ride in that speed wagon depicted in your avatar.

Give him something to look forward to one day.

LOL! My sled is a Sportcruiser LSA, so probably not a lot faster that the 150. But happy to give Peter a ride!

No MOA. I was able to plan around it.
The greatest obstacles on this grand trip has been the weather.
You've got a few more of them coming up. I am guessing you are using Flight Following? Don't be afraid to ask center if they are active and use them if it helps for wx or winds or whatever.

Each morning before i fly, I contact WXbrief to get weather in direction I'm headed. Very helpful.
Also, I've been calling a friend whose a experienced pilot before each flight as second set of eyes for my waypoints; VERY helpful.
Today, I noticed after I took off from KLRU the oil temp was low (oil pressure was normal); I immediately turned around and landed. I called a pilot friend who said it's normal and that I usually want to runup until the temp goes up bit more. Wow, learned another new thing today about my 150. Another thing I learned; when the engine wouldn't crank early morning, my pilot friend told me to lean the mixure halfway, and pump the throttle..it worked!
Funny thing happened at KDMN, a LARGE feral pig cross my path while I taxi to FBO! I wonder if it taste like bacon?:p

My waypoints for tomorrow:
KDMN P33 E95 KTUS KCGZ KBXK KBLH

Last edited:
Each morning before i fly, I contact WXbrief to get weather in direction I'm headed. Very helpful.
Also, I've been calling a friend whose a experienced pilot before each flight as second set of eyes for my waypoints; VERY helpful.
Today, I noticed after I took off from KLRU the oil temp was low (oil pressure was normal); I immediately turned around and landed. I called a pilot friend who said it's normal and that I usually want to runup until the temp goes up bit more. Wow, learned another new thing today about my 150.
Funny thing happened at KDMN, a LARGE feral pig cross my path while I taxi to FBO! I wonder if it taste like bacon?:p
In a lot of the older engines (A65, C85, not 100% sure about O200s) it's not uncommon for the oil temps to run about 80-100 degrees higher than the OAT in cruise, so if it's cold out there, it will likely run a bit cooler, especially until it's warmed up.

Yeah, its weird when oil temp gets low. On my flight Saturday it was -4F when I started the engine. I had the 182's oil cooler fully taped off (which I have learned by different flights at different temperatures). It was still a bit lower than average. Then it doesn't help that you can't lean quite as much with the cold dense air so now the extra fuel is cooling the cylinder heads a bit more than typical. Good call on returning and checking it out!

Do you use flight following?

Yeah, its weird when oil temp gets low. On my flight Saturday it was -4F when I started the engine. I had the 182's oil cooler fully taped off (which I have learned by different flights at different temperatures). It was still a bit lower than average. Then it doesn't help that you can't lean quite as much with the cold dense air so now the extra fuel is cooling the cylinder heads a bit more than typical. Good call on returning and checking it out!

Do you use flight following?

I try contacting Center or Approach when available; UNFORTUNATELY the stock radio has really poor reception. :( So they can't hear me until I'm close.
A pilot I meet at Abilene told me of some radio that will just swap out the stock radio..forgot the name.
Other GREAT thing about this trip is all the great pilots I met! :)

The one thing you’re missing out on from the old days is having an ADF so at least you could tune in a broadcast AM station to have something to listen to other than yourself in the headwind. Ha.

If you looked up where the broadcast stations were you could just listen to the next one in the next big town, then another, then another. LOL

Do we have a tail number? I can look for him into Tucson if he flies today.

In a lot of the older engines (A65, C85, not 100% sure about O200s) it's not uncommon for the oil temps to run about 80-100 degrees higher than the OAT in cruise, so if it's cold out there, it will likely run a bit cooler, especially until it's warmed up.

Low oil temp is a problem with an O200A. It’s not a good thing. It leads to corrosion and other trouble. In the Winter, in mine, it’s impossible to get the needle off the peg before airborne.

I try contacting Center or Approach when available; UNFORTUNATELY the stock radio has really poor reception. :( So they can't hear me until I'm close.
A pilot I meet at Abilene told me of some radio that will just swap out the stock radio..forgot the name.
Other GREAT thing about this trip is all the great pilots I met! :)

TKM makes a slide in replacement, but your problem could be antenna or antenna connections.

Low oil temp is a problem with an O200A. It’s not a good thing. It leads to corrosion and other trouble. In the Winter, in mine, it’s impossible to get the needle off the peg before airborne.
Yeah, but if you fly at least 1.5 after that and cook the water out, it shouldn't be too bad. It's bad if you fly short hops.

I fully understand that. I was commenting on the fact that these engines run the oil notoriously cold. The practical side is that most planes powered by an O200A are not regularly used for long distance flight. If they are used for training they probably get flown enough to drive out moisture and contaminants, but many don’t.

This time of year I keep a small heater ducted into the engine area. It may even aggravate the corrosion problem, but I don’t have stiff oil on cold starts. I do indeed fly too many short hops. I try to change the oil often and drain it when hot.

Last edited:
TKM makes a slide in replacement, but your problem could be antenna or antenna connections.
That was my first thought. Put in a new radio, then possibly have the same problem. Carefully check harnesses and connections first.

Back