Tesla Model 3 - Now I get the hype.

@WWFeldman

I have read; but do not know the veracity; Nissan started with a Monocoque shell for the Pathfinder. Then went to semi-monocoque, and eventually added an almost full frame for the combination of weight and strength reasons.

Tim

“You can never go broke taking a profit”.

But I can’t help think about the $51,000 I’d have today had I not sold my 100 shares @ $350 in late 2018.

Then again, I still got that $7,500 tax credit in 2018 and over a year’s gas savings with our Honda Clarity purchased with the Tesla proceeds. Great car and no regrets there.

Regardless, this runup is fun to watch, even given the paltry 13 shares I’ve got now!

Well, whatever they're doing, demand is definitely outstripping supply. Current wait time for a new one is 6-9 weeks, and a batch of used ones went online today (judging by third-party sites that crawl Tesla's site) and they're all gone except for one in Hawaii. Poof! Every last one.

I have a question about Tesla super chargers since I plan to buy a couple of them (Teslas, not superchargers) in the next two years. If I'm going to have to wait a half hour or more to get charged, I would like to plan my charging stops around a meal. Are there restaurants near most of the superchargers? Preferably good restaurants; not fast food.

Well, whatever they're doing, demand is definitely outstripping supply. Current wait time for a new one is 6-9 weeks, and a batch of used ones went online today (judging by third-party sites that crawl Tesla's site) and they're all gone except for one in Hawaii. Poof! Every last one.

I think they're all being sold in SoCal. As electrics go, the Model 3 is the Camry of Orange County!

Bought a good chunk of TSLA stock the other day. Curious to see where it lands in 10 years.

I have a question about Tesla super chargers since I plan to buy a couple of them (Teslas, not superchargers) in the next two years. If I'm going to have to wait a half hour or more to get charged, I would like to plan my charging stops around a meal. Are there restaurants near most of the superchargers? Preferably good restaurants; not fast food.

It varies, but they do try to have Superchargers in places where you would want to stop anyway after a few hours of driving. The nearest Supercharger to me has several options adjacent to it. If you have an iPhone (unsure of Android availability but it may exist there too) there's an app called "Superchargers" that gives lots of info. The web site supercharge.info is also popular but I can't seem to get it to actually show what's nearby, when I click that it just gives me a blank page but you could try there too.

... a batch of used ones went online today (judging by third-party sites that crawl Tesla's site) and they're all gone except for one in Hawaii. Poof! Every last one.

A couple of weeks ago, there were about five Tesla Model3 cars for sale on Craigslist as used 2019, all with less than 1,000 miles.

I wonder if people bought them with the now-expired tax credits and were flipping them as speculators?

Illegal? Aren't they just selling a used car?
Or is flipping it after getting the tax benefits illegal?

This morning, 6 months later, the pre-market price of TSLA is $1,644. WOW. I'm still kicking myself.

But you may also forego the chance of making a killing.

Remember, we had 100 shares we sold at a profit @ $350 to buy our Honda Clarity PHEV just over a year and a half ago, and saved $7,500 on federal taxes. Great car so far, but damn! Oh, well, 20/20 hindsight and all that!

Remember, we had 100 shares we sold at a profit @ $350 to buy our Honda Clarity PHEV just over a year and a half ago, and saved $7,500 on federal taxes. Great car so far, but damn! Oh, well, 20/20 hindsight and all that!
I didn't mean to criticize you. I thought you made a wise decision at the time, and even in hindsight, I do not find fault with your actions. I was mostly thinking about my own failure to buy TSLA when I first though about it. But I have a history of watching rising stars climb to the moon only to see them come crashing down right after I buy in at the peak. That is what kept me out of TSLA.

It's only worth it if you sell it. It could go to 100,000 a share but it doesn't do any good unless you sell. Unless they are paying dividends based on share price.

Back