Cessna 421 - "Twin Cessna" or "Golden Eagle"?

Twin Cessna could also *technically* be a jet..

"Golden Eagle" sounds ridiculous though.. also, why does what they call you matter? Don't they have your actual type info on a strip? With a little bit of effort and money you could fly around with whatever call sign you want

Tangentially related, the other day while on flight following a controller asked if I was turbo or not.. he never sent me higher, but was maybe curious? I'd never heard that before though

The other day at klvk a pilot announced golden eagle ready to take off. The controller asked what’s a golden eagle. Another voice chimes in, it’s a Cessna. It’s ironic this topic came up today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

After picking up a new C-152 to replace one of our older C-150s, I decided to fly it into SJC and see how it would do an ILS approach. I called approach with make and tail number...

The prop on a 152 will allow for a high speed descent without overspeeding the engine, so I was able to keep up a pretty good speed on final.

When I was switched over to tower, he replied, "Citation 460, cleared to land 31 Left, maintain best speed, 737 on final behind you."

He obviously didn't recognize the tail number!

One airplane I have a hard time with is the Swift. Very few controllers have heard of it. I have a little elevator pitch I give. "Globe Swift, Identifier Golf Charlie One, Single engine piston, cruise about 140 knots". Subsequent controllers usually start calling me "experimental" or in one case, I was a twin cessna all the way from Greensboro to Asheville!

Truly important question here, I know.

I fly a couple of 421s. I typically just refer to myself on the radio as "Twin Cessna XXX".

When I took my insurance training, the instructor corrected me, saying I should call it "Golden Eagle". Okay, whatever it takes to get the certificate.

Yesterday, when checking in with Center, he asked me "are you a Twin Cessna, or a Golden Eagle?" So I confirmed that yes, I was a Golden Eagle. And then later that flight, I heard another 421 check in as a Golden Eagle.

Personally, I usually try to use a simple, descriptive term for any airplane, not the cutesy marketing term. Some of them, of course, are truly ridiculous. To me, calling it a "Golden Eagle" just sounds pretentious - "no, I'm not one of those mere Twin Cessnas, I have a Golden Eagle" and I imagine the response as being "ooh, a Golden Eagle, you say. Well, la-de-da..."

This probably started when I owned a Warrior. It's a pretty big stretch to call any 4-place, 150 hp "trainer" airplane a "Warrior". What, are we supposed to be afraid of its fire-breathing power and speed?

ATC folks - does it make much difference to you? Would it help if I switched to saying "Golden Eagle"?

Never made much difference to me for routine transmissions. I’d call you what you called you. On initial contact as a pop up where I would have to initiate the entry into the system, it made a difference though. Then I needed to know the designator such as ‘three ten’ or ‘four twenty one.’ If you said Golden Eagle and I happened to know that was a 421, all the easier, I wouldn’t have to ask.

Call yourself a Cessna 421. There are four characters controllers can type in for that and "Golden Eagle" doesn't fit but C421 does.

One airplane I have a hard time with is the Swift. Very few controllers have heard of it. I have a little elevator pitch I give. "Globe Swift, Identifier Golf Charlie One, Single engine piston, cruise about 140 knots". Subsequent controllers usually start calling me "experimental" or in one case, I was a twin cessna all the way from Greensboro to Asheville!
So I tell them experimental biplane. Some of them ask what type of biplane. I think they believe I'm jerking their chain when I tell them a Little Toot!

Back